IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 4 - Demon Attack

54 minutes ago, gezkc said:

This game is starting to annoy me. It's now crashed 3 times on my original Intellivision. Twice just after destroying the mother ship and once at 9,900 pts when I was right in the middle of a wave of demons, hadn't lost a single life, and the screen just went blank and the game stopped. 

This is the best I've managed so far - the game crashed just after destroying the mother ship (I wasn't pressing anything on the controller so I don't know why) :

DSC_0141.JPG

Usually crashes during or after Pandemonium for me too

• Like 2

Those who are having the most lockups, are you using autofire?  Can you try playing with the fire button held down instead, or is that too rough on the joints? 

The only thing I can think of is the fewer things going on, the better, if it's a coding glitch of some sort. 

I've played probably 5-6 hours with only 2-3 freezes total. Science may not be of any use here, just trying to limit the variables. 

26 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Those who are having the most lockups, are you using autofire?  Can you try playing with the fire button held down instead, or is that too rough on the joints? 

The only thing I can think of is the fewer things going on, the better, if it's a coding glitch of some sort. 

I've played probably 5-6 hours with only 2-3 freezes total. Science may not be of any use here, just trying to limit the variables. 

I use autofire. And, yes, I'm trying to save my wrist. I just played a crash free game. 

1 hour ago, Player One said:

I use autofire. And, yes, I'm trying to save my wrist. I just played a crash free game. 

Wish we could nail down the issue, since it's a fun game, but intermittent issues are always bastards to troubleshoot. 

• Like 2

BiffMan, 

I've not been using autofire and have been making a point not to press anything after Pandemonium is destroyed and I still get the lock up.

I've got another cart, so might try that out tomorrow and see if it makes any difference, but probably not. It's very frustrating as it's a great game otherwise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gezkc said:

So I tried my other cart today - got up to about 15,000 pts with 6 lives and the screen suddenly went black and I lost the game. 

Very frustrating - I'm giving up on this game now! ?

Seems like it happens when you have 5 or 6 lives on higher levels??

Edited by Player One

3 hours ago, Player One said:

Seems like it happens when you have 5 or 6 lives on higher levels??

Yep, I think you're right. There actually seems to be two types of bugs with this game (for me at least). The screen going blank for no reason when you've got full lives on a higher level, and the game crashing when you're approaching/descending from the Pandemonium mother ship. 

• Like 1

Just barely beat my score from last Sunday. I can’t get to the 3rd base. My wrist hurts so I called it quits. Those who are good at this, when would you say the difficulty plateaus? What do you think of the tracer shots? They don’t seem to make much of a difference to me in how effective I am, or not.

F9950E8E-58F4-4954-AB04-6CC1BE978C5C.jpeg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

Just barely beat my score from last Sunday. I can’t get to the 3rd base. My wrist hurts so I called it quits. Those who are good at this, when would you say the difficulty plateaus? What do you think of the tracer shots? They don’t seem to make much of a difference to me in how effective I am, or not.

Tracer shots were odd at first, but I got used to them.  Can't say I use them to my advantage though. My general strategy is to hang on the sides during the assaults and sway back and forth to avoid the drones on the boss levels.  Can't really describe how I avoid the drones.  It's always been somewhat intuitive.  I got out of my groove for a few min today and couldn't seem to avoid them to save my life.  Hard to describe.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ace24 said:

Those who are good at this, when would you say the difficulty plateaus? What do you think of the tracer shots? They don’t seem to make much of a difference to me in how effective I am, or not.

Can't say tracers are a help for the most part, but if you don't mind wading into the thick of things in the middle, you can put them to good effect.  I'd definitely rather be without them. 

Wouldn't say the difficulty plateaus that I can tell.  Starting the 2nd round, those nuke missiles are by far the worst thing and they just keep coming faster and thicker.   Each round seems a hair faster than the last, so you adjust well enough, but I've rarely seen a game that requires this much second to second focus. 

Hate the paired red enemies, by far my least favorite wave.  First wave and boss are usually gimme free lives, but those red bastards are nasty and the yellow/red/blue connected wave can get out of hand quickly if you're not careful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

...and sway back and forth to avoid the drones on the boss levels.  Can't really describe how I avoid the drones.  It's always been somewhat intuitive. 

I hadn't even considered just avoiding the boss drones, will have to give that a try.  I've been just shooting them all. ?

2 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

I shoot maybe half at most, but evasion is my main strategy.

I definitely need to give that a try. Since all of my deaths on bosses come when I don't shoot all the drones, I guess I let them scare me into obliteration as my primary strategy.  Getting more Zen dodging them would be of great benefit when I inevitably miss a few. 

3 hours ago, Ace24 said:

I wasn't crazy about using tracer shots at first since I never used that option before. I don't think I used them to my advantage except during pandemonium. It was very satisfying to shoot a hook shot into the target. I might have been able to get through that stage faster because of that.

Edited by Player One

7 hours ago, BiffMan said:

I hadn't even considered just avoiding the boss drones, will have to give that a try.  I've been just shooting them all. ?

I started off playing like that, just trying to avoid the drones, but was finding the mother ships very hard to get past.

As soon as I changed strategy to shooting as many as I could, I started getting further in the game.

16 minutes ago, gezkc said:

I started off playing like that, just trying to avoid the drones, but was finding the mother ships very hard to get past.

As soon as I changed strategy to shooting as many as I could, I started getting further in the game.

I have found the same thing. In the early stages, evasion can be effective, but later on I find it's impossible to hit the target without clearing out many of the drones.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I have found the same thing. In the early stages, evasion can be effective, but later on I find it's impossible to hit the target without clearing out many of the drones.

I tried avoiding a couple games last night, definitely doesn't work better for me. It did get me a little more in tune with their movement patterns, but seems the easiest way to 'avoid' them is to have them not make it down to you in the first place. ?

• Like 1