IGNORED

The Atlantis II "Weight Test" Validity?

Mockduck

Someone who is less familiar with Atari recently posted on the AtariAge Facebook page to ask if the Atlantis II weight test was legit or Internet rumor. I figured a quick Google search would give me an easy answer (and I assumed it was nonsense), but surprisingly I did some digging without result. Since the Google search turned up AA threads from 2011 or so I figured it might be time to update this for 2020. Anyone know? 

Rumor being based largely on a widely-circulated YouTube video that the Atlantis II cart doesn't weigh the same as an Atlantis cart. 

On 3/9/2020 at 4:05 PM, Mockduck said:

Rumor being based largely on a widely-circulated YouTube video that the Atlantis II cart doesn't weigh the same as an Atlantis cart.

I can't imagine what would possess some to want to weigh their carts.

Probably some obscure conversation like...

Does this cart have bankswitching?...

Yes...

How can I tell?...

Well it must weigh more due to the extra IC...

OK, that makes sense.

When an extra IC must add next to nothing to the overall weight and such a small discrepancy could be accounted for by manufacturing tolerance in the amount of plastic in the shell, and/or by rounding errors and measurement tolerance inherent in the scales. Even where are cart is place on the scales (i.e. near the outside as opposed to the middle) could potentially make a gram of difference.

• Like 1

Well, yes, most of what your saying is true. Slight variances will always be present from cart to cart. But an eprom does weigh “noticeably” more then a mask rom. No scale is even needed; you can actually feel the heavier weight with your bare hands.

10 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

I can't imagine what would possess some to want to weigh their carts.

This idea is most likely from the NES collectors camp. Back in the day some carts were heavier than other because it used a pin converter board inside the cart to make a Famicom game work on an NES. So the way you would get one of these converters was to find a noticeably heavier cart version of say "Hogan's Alley". Rip the cart apart and you now have an adapter to play Famicom carts on your NES.

• Like 2

If the Atlantis 2 carts due weigh less for some reason, then the only thing I can think of for why...would be if the small RF shielding isn't be used on these A2 carts? Then again, I'm not sure I've ever seen the inside of an Imagic game to even know if they used the RF shields like Atari did?