IGNORED

Another modem similar probs

GDMike

How come I didn't get a dang message on this post. I got notification on my other posts.. hmm... sorry for the delay as I never received a notification..

It's late now, I'll reply tommorow.. 

Btw, notification switch is set for receive notification..I dunno but I bet it's got something to do with my modem problem!

Edited by GDMike

On 3/9/2020 at 11:12 PM, arcadeshopper said:

what are the switches set to?  

Image result for usr 56k sportster dip switch 

are they set:   up up down up down up up down

The last one,on the rt, was up so I adjusted. The modem now throws a tx led. And a Rd led flashes when it tries dialing then quickly goes off. Telco goes to next try

Edited by GDMike

I went to terminal, typed at and got an ok. Then I typed atdt and my phone# and received no dial tone msg.

I'm researching..the connector is in the correct jack on the modem and it's connected to the phone port on the wall..

Pulled the phone line out of the modem and I put an analog phone on that cable and I have a dial tone..

Any thoughts

Edited by GDMike

11 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Sigh ... good old modem times. I think we can't even connect these analog devices to the telephone network anymore, everything digital now.

Well I did connect with the same hardware with my other modem but the modem was flaking out as it kept dropping power, going off and on.

First, the port you plug the line in matters.  One is for the wall outlet, the other is for the phone and the Sportsters physically disconnect the extension via a relay.

Secondly, try putting a W in your ATDT command.  This instructs the modem to wait for a dial tone before dialing.

atm1
atdtw(number-to-dial)

If it cannot hear a dial tone it will report so

NO DIAL TONE

It is not uncommon for the POTS line coupler in the modem to get blown out by an electrical surge.  This used to be a phone call we could expect at the ISP after a good storm: "When I try to connect it says 'NO DIAL TONE!'"  Yup, need to replace the modem and here is a good phone line surge protector to go with it.  (Seriously, I called it our "Lightning Special": A PCI or ISA controller-based (non-WinModem) USR 56k modem with a TrippLite PTEL7 installed for $159.)

• Like 1

BITD, many times when we had a t-storm and I neglected to unplug the modem, there'd be a "snap" sound from it that I would hear if I was nearby. That was the sound of another hundred-dollar bill vanishing from my wallet! I never could find what part failed inside so the modem became a brick. I just got in the habit of unplugging the phone jack and power when not using it.

-Ed

• Like 3

17 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Do you hear the modem make a loud "click" when it goes off-hook?  I have never had a relay fail on these modems, but I suppose it is not impossible given age.

I can hear a crackle when it goes off hook, and not all the time. Mostly it is just quiet

Edited by GDMike