IGNORED

800XL 1mb upgrade

mmoec

I have 2 800XL computers, and I want to upgrade one to 1mb. The problem is I have very little soldering skills, but I really want to do this on my own. Is there a website or somewhere else I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? My Google search brought me to this place. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=56

Heres the best upgrade, if your 800XL has sockets (I believe most do) it will reduce the amount of soldering required.

On the page, there are excellent Videos from @flashjazzcat on how to do the install

Should have said, this upgrade is fantastic if used with the Side2 cartridge which is a CF card emulating hard drives and it does so much more,

links on Lotherek's web site, plenty to read about all it does.

Edited by TGB1718
spelling
  • Like 1

If your 800XL has MMU and OS ROM in sockets, then installation of U1MB is pretty easy and requires only a few wires to be soldered to the motherboard. Search YouTube for "atari ultimate 1mb" you will find at least a dozen of videos showing installation process. Some of them are in Polish, but still easy to follow and self explanatory. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blacka013 said:

Really nice madness77. Where can I get one from when they arrive, and how much are they?

Regards

Andy

~$5 or so... I will put a link here, I have to create a product page on Tindie, and they won't verify positively until I upload the real picture :)

7 hours ago, madness77 said:

Yeah, me :)

But I'm still waiting for PCBs from China, I'll put them assembled on my Tindie when they come.

That's a clever design. I suggested as much 5 - 6 years ago here on the forum and everyone said it would be do-able, but "after all, how hard is it to install four wires?" Of course, they're right but not everyone can handle a soldering iron. 

My only concern with this kind of board is that some systems have issues with unstable Phi2 timing - on the 1088XLD and 1088XEL, I believe @mytek's design calls for the U1MB to use the buffered Phi2 signal from a 74F08 (a modern replacement for the 74LS08 on a stock A8). Not sure if it's better or worse in such cases to keep using the signal from directly from SALLY or try to get the buffered Phi2 signal instead. But for most systems, I'm sure this will work great. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

That's a clever design. I suggested as much 5 - 6 years ago here on the forum and everyone said it would be do-able, but "after all, how hard is it to install four wires?" Of course, they're right but not everyone can handle a soldering iron. 

My only concern with this kind of board is that some systems have issues with unstable Phi2 timing - on the 1088XLD and 1088XEL, I believe @mytek's design calls for the U1MB to use the buffered Phi2 signal from a 74F08 (a modern replacement for the 74LS08 on a stock A8). Not sure if it's better or worse in such cases to keep using the signal from directly from SALLY or try to get the buffered Phi2 signal instead. But for most systems, I'm sure this will work great. 

Yep, but for those who really need buffered Phi2, I'm thinking of a solution taken from XEL/XLD:

buffer.thumb.png.ba016177952c53dbd43e1342f04d81e4.pngsally-adapter-b02.thumb.png.d85602bb59d48b541e52441e707b2574.png

I'm not quite sure if this is well done, and how it will affect the whole system.

• Like 2