IGNORED

FS: 27” Panasonic Tau tube TV

AtariRx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to necrobump but I'm picking one of these up soon but it doesn't have a remote and I have no idea what the model # is (same size and looks exactly the same as the one in the picture) so I can't look for one.  Any idea what the model # on that set was?

40 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Sorry to necrobump but I'm picking one of these up soon but it doesn't have a remote and I have no idea what the model # is (same size and looks exactly the same as the one in the picture) so I can't look for one.  Any idea what the model # on that set was?

I have the 32" version of this tv (Don't know the model #) and lost the remote.

This remote should work -

Panasonic eur7603z10

The remotes for these tv seemed kinda universal.

I'm able to set all the tv setting with this - although I haven't tried service menu stuff.

They are on ebay for $10-15 bucks shipped.

For a tv remote website:

"PANASONIC EUR7603Z10 TV REMOTE CONTROL

For model numbers: CT27D12 CT32HX41 CT32HX41CE CT32HX41E CT32HX41U CT32HX41UE CT36HX41 CT36HX41CE CT36HX41E CT36HX41U CT36HX41UE"

33 minutes ago, AtariRx said:

Wish I could help but mine is long gone, sorry.

Maybe you still can.  Do you remember if it had bad Horizontal Linearity issues?  What I mean is, when there was a horizontally scrolling image did it warp funny on the edges of the screen?  Did it look like the image was sort of 'rolling off' the edges or was there no distortion at all?

Best way to find a remote:

Take the tv model number, search and find the manual.

The manual will at minimal will have a pic of the remote. Most of the time (near the back) will have a part # for remote.

Search ebay with the tv model # or the remote # and match to the pics in the manual.

EUR511502 Comes up with a dozen remotes.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Maybe you still can.  Do you remember if it had bad Horizontal Linearity issues?  What I mean is, when there was a horizontally scrolling image did it warp funny on the edges of the screen?  Did it look like the image was sort of 'rolling off' the edges or was there no distortion at all?

Yes, my the top left of my 32" have a slight "warp" to it. Mostly noticeable if paused on a game with horizontal lines.

Never bad enough to play with it.

How to bring up the service menu on a Panasonic CRT TV.

27 minutes ago, H454 said:

Yes, my the top left of my 32" have a slight "warp" to it. Mostly noticeable if paused on a game with horizontal lines.

Never bad enough to play with it.

How to bring up the service menu on a Panasonic CRT TV.

Most geometry issues can be fixed or mitigated a bit with the SM (if your model actually allows you to change anything, I had a one that didn't), but true horizontal linearity issues can't be fixed.  If you have a grid up and the squares get wider or thinner towards the sides that's HL and naught can be done about it.  Some brands seem to have worse problems with this than others, although all flat screen CRTs have the problem to some degree.    I had a Sharp X-Flat that was so bad it was like playing a game on a fun house mirror, but my Trinitron only has a minor issue with it and it's only noticable when you're looking for it.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 12:02 AM, cwilbar said:

This 36" Sony is 480i.  Pretty sure it doesn't even do 480p.  It's your std 4:3 screen.... just in a 36" size ?

Wouldn't surprise me if the 27" free TV here may do 480p which my 36" won't do ?

bump for the OP who presumably still has that nice 27" set available.

XBR versions of the 36 inch Sony could do 1080i/480p.  They had excellent picture quality when upscaling DVDs or watching uncompressed OTA feed.  

I had one until last year.  The non-XBR versions were much cheaper and the picture quality wasn't comparable.

https://www.wired.com/2000/11/the-big-36-inch-1080-line-2700-picture/

Edited by andrew@meler.us

I never noticed any such issues on mine, it was by far the best TV I ever had for running classic consoles. That being said, I wasn’t looking for it either. I still have an old tube TV, a bit smaller and much lighter than the Tau, and this one does have significant distortion at the top and bottom of the screen. The only reason I kept it instead was because it has a manual vertical hold knob right on the front, so I can run PAL stuff on it too.

I guess pulling is more of the issue. The picture tends to get stretched and the top and bottom cut off.

So, good news [mention]Tempest [/mention] I it occurred to me when I sold the Tau I forgot to give the guy the instruction manual. It was still sitting in the drawer. If you want it, PM me your address and I’ll send it out.

IMG_0445.jpgIMG_0446.jpg

I appreciate the offer, but I believe this TV comes with the manual, just not the original remote.  I was actually just looking at the remote I have and the picture of the one in your manual and they're very similar, just with some minor button placement differences.  I think it should work.

• 3 weeks later...