MikeV

ESD Hard & Floppy Controller

Posted (edited)

I purchased a copy of that Hypercard software (HQ Stacks) a long time ago. It was released by McCann Software. The Forth card he was working on used the Forth Microengine chip. He was forced to cancel the card because the chip manufacturer cancelled the chip before it reached full production. No chips--no cards that can use it. I'm not sure what Mike McCann did with the prototype card he built. He passed the rights to the McCann software titles to Dee Turner, who kept them available until about ten years ago when sales had decreased to nothing.

Edited by Ksarul

17 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I have a complete set of the developmental docs that were included with the card when I bought it from Tony Lewis about ten years ago. I don't think there were ever any ads/flyers for it, although there were a couple of blurbs on it from Asgard, as they were planning on bringing it to market at one point.

This is really very interesting information. I lost faith in most "new hardware" after the Cor Comp "Phoenix" fiasco. Some of it was apparently real. Is it possible that Asgard (Peripherals) was behind the proposed ESD card as well? They were extremely informed on its supposed development. It would have been in keeping with that rather long article by Chris Bobbit, wherein he addressed the various short-comings of the TI and  possible solutions. E.G. memory (AMS), video, etc.

It is always interesting to learn of new hardware developments for the TI. Apart from the HRD 4000B, do you have some specifics in the works, i.e. that you perceive as doable at this point?

On 3/13/2020 at 4:57 PM, BeeryMiller said:

I've got two Geneve's setup with Myarc HFDC's with the DREM that uses a SD card.  I got away from spinning drives.  One of my Geneve's has a TIPI in it. In GPL/Rompage mode, I have full TIPI "hard drive like" access and speeds.  If someone was a good programmer, they should be able to rewrite the eprom code to load a System/Sys file from the TIPI to boot the Geneve.  Then, they would need floppy access to get to GPL mode as MDOS itself would not support the TIPI.

I have two TI-99/4A's setup.  One has a SCSI with a SCSI2SD interface with it configured to 7 x 256 MB drives.  The PEBox also has a TIPI in it as well.  It isn't getting too much use right now as I have been focusing on some other software for the TI-99/4A (separate topic elsewhere).  My other TI-99/4A has a sidecar TIPI w/ 32K.

Hi Beery,

This is good information. Do you know if it is possible for folk to interface a HFDC/ SD card on a TI? I had to google DREM as I had no idea what it meant. Is this it: DREM?

Do you know if it is possible to use SD drives with our SCSI? Thank you.

Hi Beery,

This is good information. Do you know if it is possible for folk to interface a HFDC/ SD card on a TI? I had to google DREM as I had no idea what it meant. Is this it: DREM?

Scsi2sd works great with scsi

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DREM replaces normal MFM drives and floppy drives. Your controller thinks it is a regular drive. It is a nice device, and the developer is VERY responsive to issues/feature requests.

2 hours ago, MikeV said:

Hi Beery,

Yes, the DREM replaces the MFM drives and the SCSI2SD replaces SCSI drives.  Makes backups a whole lot easier to just copy things from a SD flashdrive onto a PC folder.

The big issue is whether you can find a HFDC or SCSI controller.

Beery