IGNORED

Does the Atari 800 play Atari 5200 games just like an 800 game?

What I mean is that when you play Atari 5200 games on the Atari 800 using a Sio2sd will all the games play just like they would on a real Atari 5200, no emulation?

I'm aware that the systems are very similar but the software is built differently but once you run it will the games play natively? Like is it comparable to other backwards compatible systems like the GBA with gbc and the Ps2 with ps1 games?

There's no emulation or such available.  From almost the start though, games that were exclusive or sufficiently different were converted by hackers like Glenn The 5200 Man.

Sometimes there's difference in gameplay though since 5200 has analog sticks and multiple controller buttons but the computer doesn't.

25 minutes ago, Rybags said:

There's no emulation or such available.  From almost the start though, games that were exclusive or sufficiently different were converted by hackers like Glenn The 5200 Man.

Sometimes there's difference in gameplay though since 5200 has analog sticks and multiple controller buttons but the computer doesn't.

A friend played regular Atari 5200 roms on the Atari 800 with a Sio2sd without issues.

• Haha 1

I highly doubt it.  SIO2SD is just a disk emulator that's external to the computer.

Like I said, the only "5200 games" on the computer are ones that people have converted.

Though that said, practically the entire catalog of old and new 5200 games is available on the computer also, one way or another.

But one way or another isn't by means of emulation.

We've talked about it a little here, a multi-system that does both 5200 and computer would be possible but you'd have to ask why bother considering the overlap that already exists.

• Like 2