IGNORED

Getting a Switch! Need Game Advice

Tempest

Since Nintendo isn't going to drop the price of a Switch any time soon and the Pro model appears not to be coming this year, I've decided to finally take the plunge and get a Switch.  However I haven't been paying much attention to the games that have come out so I'm a bit behind on what people consider to be 'must haves'.  Since I also have a PS4 I'm only interested in Switch exclusives at this time.  I also have a Wii U so I'm not interested in anything that is a Deluxe or updated version of a game since I already own it (BotW, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Mario Kart 8, etc.).

My main area of interest is RPGs (Japanese style and strategy) and Nintendo exclusive franchise games (Mario, Zelda, etc.).  I also don't really care for indie games unless they're something super special.  So far I've made the following list of games I'm going to have to look into, anything obvious I'm missing (other than Smash Bros. since I don't care about that one):

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Octopath Traveler

Link’s Awakening

Super Mario Odyssey

Luigi’s Mansion 3

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Langrisser 1 + 2

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Yoshi’s Crafted World

2 minutes ago, Agamon said:

Did you play Breath of the Wild on Wii U? Because that would be my #1 suggestion that you don't have listed.

Oh yes, I should have said.  I have all the Wii U exclusives that fit my categories too.  I don't need any of the remakes or updated versions.

if you haven't figured it out, i really like my switch.  :)  I highly recommend Mario/Rabbid Kingdom, Octopath, and Mario Odyssey.  Yoshi is a really good game but super short (5-6 hours).

Not sure, though, on stuff that isn't already on the PS4, since I bought a lot of ports for my Switch.  The Switch version of Mario Kart 8 is pretty good, it folds in all the extra stuff from the Wii U.

I'm not sure of release on other platforms, but the Collection of Mana compilation is really good.  I stole my wife's copy.  ;)  Check out the new Fire Emblem game, as well.

I'd keep an eye on the Trials of Mana remake, it should be out (soon), along with Torchlight 3.

3 minutes ago, Skarrj said:

Xenoblade and Monster Hunter should be your top picks.  The amount of content in Monster Hunter GU Dwarfs anything in MH World.

Never played a Monster Hunter game.  It's one of those series that I just never had time for.

Well, you definitely need Bayonetta 1 & 2, unless you have them for Wii U (not many people do).

I'd still get Mario Kart just because it's one of the best *handheld* games on the system. Even if you had it for the Wii U, you didn't really have it in a form that you can take anywhere. Whenever I take my Switch outside, it's really the only game I end up playing because it's great in short bursts and the graphics are such that everything's very easy to see on a small screen, which isn't always the case for a lot of Switch games.

I'm in the same boat as you...already have a WiiU and all of the awesome games, so Odyssey is basically the only Switch game I'm interested in at the moment, until BotW2 drops.

Link's Awakening, personally I'm waiting until they release it as Nintendo Selects. I'm in no rush to play a $60 remake with less new features than the last time it was remade.

There are demos for Monster Hunter (including on the WiiU). Either it's not my kind of game, or I'm playing it wrong, I feel like it shouldn't be so time consuming and tedious to kill one monster.

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Shin Megami Tensei V

How is that series?  Do you need to play the others to understand it?  The only one I played was Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and that was a weird spin-off crossover game.

9 minutes ago, Tempest said:

How is that series?  Do you need to play the others to understand it?  The only one I played was Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and that was a weird spin-off crossover game.

The only real problem that I can think of would be playing IV FINAL/Apocalypse before IV, since it's the sequel to IV. IV is far superior in every way aside from the music, where it is only slightly better than IV FINAL's music. That's not to say IV FINAL's music is bad; it's incredibly good, but SMT IV has the single best OST I have ever heard in a game. I REALLY need to buy the OST for both of them because they are just so damn good. Both games are worth playing for sure, though.

Typically SMT takes all of the best things about the late 80s and early/mid-90s, including the music, and mixes in a lot of heavy ideological stuff where everyone ends up on the opposite sides of a war where nobody is right and everyone is wrong, and it's not afraid to be dark and edgy just for the hell of it. I mean, the whole plot of the early part of SMT I is that YHVH, the actual Christian god, annihilates Tokyo with nuclear missiles to try to stop the demons from coming from the other dimension, and then the game goes from there. Technically SMT II is actually the sequel to SMT I, but you'd be fine skipping I if you wanted to. SMT III on the PS2 is completely separate from everything else.

I will say this, though: I hope you like game over screens, because SMT in general will kick your ass hard for a while. Then after that you'll be okay as long as you don't do anything too stupid, because generally even normal battles against common enemies can kill you if you really mess up. Like there have been multiple times when I found some enemies that were like 10~15 levels lower than me, but I wasn't paying attention and used an attack that reflected and insta-killed my entire party. Oops. 100% my fault.

SMT IV is definitely my pick for best game of the past decade; I'm on my 6th or 7th playthough and I've got about 500 hours on it and I don't even typically like turn based RPGs. If you have a 3DS, you NEED this game. Only Fire Emblem Three Houses, Sonic Mania, and AM2R give SMT IV anything close to competition out of everything I've played that released in the past 10 years.

And yes, you absolutely need Fire Emblem, and that game is definitely within the top 2 best games on the Switch. Maybe single best game, if you discount Sonic Mania.

So yeah, get it. I bought the Switch just for SMT V when they were teasing something before they actually announced it. Then 2 weeks later, Atlus announced it and I was quite happy.

I just picked up the StarLink Digital Deluxe Edition on the eshop since Ubisoft is running a sale till 3/30- it's a pretty fun game!  Not super far in it yet but having a lot of fun.

If you like rhythm games, give Cadence of Hyrule a look.  I think there's a demo for that one.

6 hours ago, Tempest said:

Yeah I heard about that one.  What's it like?  

I'm editing this because my answer made no sense in retrospect, lol.

It plays like a traditional top-down Legend of Zelda game (overworld and dungeons).  There's two modes of gameplay you can choose from- one where you move/attack to the beat of the music and one where you don't have to rely on keeping in time.  The maps are randomly generated.

Everyone says Mario + Rabbids is way better than you'd think it is. I may have to go buy it eventually, but I've got way too many RPGs to play right now and I just started another one last night, so maybe I'll get it later. It was definitely an unexpected announcement, and maybe people passed on it because it's not something that anyone probably ever specifically wished for, but everywhere on the internet people who have actually played it say it's great.

I might also add that even though you're looking specifically for exclusives, I think it's worth considering a bunch of games that don't gain any benefit from being on PC or other systems, whether it's because they are not games played with a mouse, there are no mods available, no change in graphics or performance on Switch vs PC/PS4/etc., or if it's just something you'd like to have on a portable system. Darius/Castlevania/Contra/Konami arcade collections are good examples.

Bayonetta 3 is coming eventually as a Switch exclusive, so if you liked the collection on Wii U, there you go.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

SMT IV is definitely my pick for best game of the past decade; I'm on my 6th or 7th playthough and I've got about 500 hours on it and I don't even typically like turn based RPGs. If you have a 3DS, you NEED this game.

I should probably pick up the SMTs for 3DS, before they go out-of-print (if they haven't already).

I've always wanted to play that series, but just never got around to it...doesn't help that the ones I really wanted to play aren't in English :) I'll probably just settle for the SNES games, especially now that I have an Everdrive (and a PocketGo...and a modded 3DS...).

I'm real tempted to play the original Famicom games first, even though everyone, including the folks who translated them, recommend skipping them.

Just now, Asaki said:

I should probably pick up the SMTs for 3DS, before they go out-of-print (if they haven't already).

I've always wanted to play that series, but just never got around to it...doesn't help that the ones I really wanted to play aren't in English :) I'll probably just settle for the SNES games, especially now that I have an Everdrive (and a PocketGo...and a modded 3DS...).

I'm real tempted to play the original Famicom games first, even though everyone, including the folks who translated them, recommend skipping them.

The 3 3DS games all seem to be out of print already. IV is expensive and never got a cart release in EU, IV FINAL/Apocalypse is cheaper but still a bit expensive, and Deep Strange Journey is cheap for now, but I'd get it if you want it before it gets out of hand. I don't have Deep Strange Journey since I already have and don't really care for the original Strange Journey, but I will probably get it now that you've made me realize that this is going to get expensive quickly. If you want them, don't wait. SMT IV is really that good and the other 2 are worth playing, as well, unless you don't like Strange Journey.

I actually do have the original SMT with the box and manual(the game itself is easy to find, but the box and manual definitely are not), but I'm still missing II and if..., which are both pretty easy to find in the box. Odd that only one of them is hard to find in the box. I've seen Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II for Famicom around town a few times, but I have never seen Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei ever. It's pretty hard to find and I'm not sure how expensive it is.

I checked the OST for IV this morning and it's unfortunately out of print. 8000 yen for a used copy is the cheapest I can find it, and it's double that for a new copy. IV FINAL's OST is still available at MSRP, though. Still, with the insane quality of the SMT IV OST, I might actually still go for that new since it really is that good.

8 hours ago, Asaki said:

I was wondering about those.  Not a strong endorsement there. :)

I'd probably skip Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II and just play Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei instead if you really want to play those two games. SMT I and II are both fine, but the high encounter rate is kind of annoying and it's a bit easy to get lost since you might spend some time wandering around looking for where you are supposed to go. SMT if... is really interesting, though, if you want to see where Persona came from. if... reuses a lot of music and other assets from SMT I and II, so it's almost got the same type of weird feeling to it that Majora's Mask does to Ocarina of Time, in a way.

IV is amazing and extremely highly recommended, but lots of people like III. III is an outlier, and IV is much closer to I and II than III is. V will hopefully be just as good as IV, but they are all great games, even IV FINAL, which I know I say a lot of bad things about, but that's only in comparison to IV, which is essentially perfect. V is the reason I bought the Switch in the first place, so it needs to be excellent! There are lots of great games on the system, though, so even if it turns out to be horrible, and it won't, I'll still be very glad I got the system.

We seem to have turned this into a Megami Tensei thread, though!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope @Tempest doesn't mind me jumping on the hijack wagon in here, as I am currently in the same boat, as of the last few days.  Saves starting ANOTHER similar thread.

After hearing some of my lads her in AA talk about how good the Switch is .... and with me having dropped modern gaming a few years ago (now only playing Retrostation on the Pi and my original Vader with a substantial library), I think it's time to get back into something like the Switch, plus it appears plenty of titles the wifey would like.  I was a big Wii fan .. and still have it, so would like to support Nintendo again.

But I digress.  Watching this and other similar Switch threads to help on gaming decisions. ? 

14 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

I hope @Tempest doesn't mind me jumping on the hijack wagon in here, as I am currently in the same boat, as of the last few days.  Saves starting ANOTHER similar thread.

After hearing some of my lads her in AA talk about how good the Switch is .... and with me having dropped modern gaming a few years ago (now only playing Retrostation on the Pi and my original Vader with a substantial library), I think it's time to get back into something like the Switch, plus it appears plenty of titles the wifey would like.  I was a big Wii fan .. and still have it, so would like to support Nintendo again.

But I digress.  Watching this and other similar Switch threads to help on gaming decisions. ? 

What are you interested in?

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

What are you interested in?

Not sure yet.  Really just started trolling now.  There's enuff info in the topic to get me started at least.   Currently @work, so trolling in between lulls.  Cheers Steve. ?