IGNORED

Inty games that you didn't like that everyone else did and vice versa..

Hey all.

What games for the inty does everyone seem to love and you're considerably less enthused, meh or worse about-- OR that you really like and no one else seems to?

I'm feeling that about a number of inty games lately.. I don't know that I will ever "love" an inty game due to seldom being able to stop on a dime, and the horrible controller.  But i do enjoy a good number of them.

One that bugs me though.. THUNDER CASTLE!  God.. The knight is so damn slow and getting energized so you can kill your foes doesn't make you any faster.  I find this frustrating and people seem to love this game.

Anyone else have inty games they feel different about than the general consensus?

• Like 1

Totally agree about Thunder Castle. Gameplay is way too slow. David's Mystic Castle is much better, but the game still gets old after a while. Too simplistic, needs more variety.

Not a fan of Worm Whomper. Just feels "off" to me. 

Diner underwhelms too. Just can't get into it.

Stadium Mud Buggies leaves me feeling pretty meh, but I think that's mostly due to the controls. 

Carnival is a game that I like well enough, but most people seem to really dislike. 

• Like 3

Never cared for Astrosmash back when it was new.  Didn't care for the seventh levels in Burgertime either.

I agree about Diner.  In general I think Imagic cartridges are overated.

I like Thunder castle; you do need to use some strategy to get the faster guardians.

I know this topic has come up before.  I did a quick search but couldn't find it.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Totally agree about Thunder Castle. Gameplay is way too slow. David's Mystic Castle is much better, but the game still gets old after a while. Too simplistic, needs more variety.

Not a fan of Worm Whomper. Just feels "off" to me. 

Carnival is a game that I like well enough, but most people seem to really dislike. 

Yeah, Worm Whomper doesn't feel terribly original or clever to me.  Just another "keep the bad guys from reaching you" game.

Carnival I enjoy too.  It's annoying, however; when you have to place the gun just right to take out the ferris wheel due to typically bad Inty controls, and with the music resetting each time you shoot something.  How the hell does that happen?

I never hear any accolades about Super Cobra but I think it's fantastic!  Why though, does the score/fuel indicator scroll off the screen?

1 hour ago, Intelligentleman said:

I would like to hear more about this. I've played it a fair bit and I like it too, but I feel like I'm not getting the most out of it. What game mode is best to play for beginners?

The fully realized White Water in my view is game #7, but you can play 1-4 first to get the hang of navigating the raft first.

Then 5-6 to get the hang of the flag grabbing game.

43 minutes ago, retrorussell said:

I never hear any accolades about Super Cobra but I think it's fantastic!  Why though, does the score/fuel indicator scroll off the screen?

The Intellivision has hardware pixel scrolling but it only has one tile layer and can not scroll parts of the tile layer independently.  The whole thing has to scroll.  If this were a keyboard component game, it could make use of it's separate text layer.  I didn't care for scramble in the arcades; don't like forced scrolling games in general.

One thing I appreciate about Worm Whomper is how smooth and precise the animation is.  The jumpy, imprecise movement bothers me in astrosmash and demon attack.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

I like Space Armada more than I used to, but I still think it is/was a bit overrated. It's distinctive and certainly has some things going for it, but IMO it just doesn't play as well as the Space Invaders games on other platforms.

Ones I like--at least in small doses--that other people don't: Zaxxon, Turbo, and.....Donkey Kong. (No accounting for taste, eh? :lol:)

Ones I want to like but just can't quite get there: Empire Strikes Back.

• Like 1

After playing Diner for a while it doesn't seem like a good game to me.  I mean, the potential for really high scores is certainly there, but I don't find a whole lot else to like personally-- just roll meatballs over enemies over and over again.  And any game where there's free roaming on a 3D platform and enemies can reach you when you're not even on their plane (wonky hit detection) I get a bit miffed.  But everyone else seems to love it.

• Like 1

There are a number of games I just don't play that seem to get a lot of love.  Among the Imagic games are: Dracula, Nova Blast, Atlantis, Safecracker, and Microsurgeon.  I didn't include Tropical Trouble because it's just a bad game to begin with.

About White Water: it's one of my favorite Imagic games (joining Beauty & the Beast), but I have a pet peeve with games that rearrange the numbers on the keypad for the starting play mode.  River Raid is another game that does that as well, though the Intellivision port is my favorite overall.

As for games I do enjoy that others seem not to, the first thing that comes to mind is Blockade Runner.  It's pretty short, only a few minutes in length, and the sound effects keep you in suspense while you shoot the mines, dodge the asteroids, and capture the ice crystals.  I'm also very partial toward the ECS games, but those don't get a lot of attention because not a lot of people have an ECS.

• Like 2

I didn't like Tron Deadly Discs during the times I got to play it bitd and was disappointed by its depuction of Tron. At the time I didn't know that there were or would be more Tron games and felt that a Tron game should feature a few different games or scenarios.

The bad taste it left in my mouth has kept me from giving it a chance as an adult. I've planned to give it a serious try but I can never bring myself to spend much time with it.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

I didn't like Tron Deadly Discs during the times I got to play it bitd and was disappointed by its depuction of Tron. At the time I didn't know that there were or would be more Tron games and felt that a Tron game should feature a few different games or scenarios.

The bad taste it left in my mouth has kept me from giving it a chance as an adult. I've planned to give it a serious try but I can never bring myself to spend much time with it.

That’s sad. It’s one of the best games for the system no matter how Tron was depicted. 

5 hours ago, poconojo said:

I wasn't a fan of Bump 'n' Jump. I just never liked the game.

I wasn't crazy about it either but it is a very faithful port. 

There are so many games that had the potential to be great but the overabundance of buttons required to play (both keypad and sometimes all 4 side buttons) made me break down in frustration.  Especially when I'm playing on an emulator without overlays to look at.

16 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Which cartridges do you think had their potential harmed by overuse of keypad buttons?

I was thinking b17 bomber was this way.  I could probably think of some other titles if i gave more thought to it.  It seems maybe a number of sports titles were like that.  I just hate that inty controller with a passion.

19 minutes ago, retrorussell said:

I was thinking b17 bomber was this way.  I could probably think of some other titles if i gave more thought to it.  It seems maybe a number of sports titles were like that.  I just hate that inty controller with a passion.

You're probably thinking of Baseball.  You might also dislike AD&D, Deadly Discs, Night Stalker; or not since their keypad use can be emulated with a modern controller.  All are very popular cartridges.

I think B17's potential would have been harmed if it didn't use the keypad.

Edited by mr_me

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

You're probably thinking of Baseball.  You might also dislike AD&D, Deadly Discs, Night Stalker; or not since their keypad use can be emulated with a modern controller.  All are very popular cartridges.

I think B17's potential would have been harmed if it didn't use the keypad.

There's plenty of games I like but have rough controls (like Tron DD, NS and Adv. D&D)-- the controls issue frustrates me most because I'm playing them through an emulator.  The controls are a bitch to set up and the emulator only allows for 3 of the side buttons, it seems.  And I have a "Intellivision Top 20" YouTube series forthcoming.  Arrgh!

The intellivision controller only has three side button functions.  The top two are wired together.

With night stalker, deadly discs, and ad&d, in emulation you can map it like a twin stick shooter if you like.  You can even cross map the controls so you can run and shoot at the same time.  What emulator are you using?  Mame is straight forward for mapping controls.  Actually for twin stick shooter mapping you can use something outside the emulator like joytokey.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, retrorussell said:

Hey all.

What games for the inty does everyone seem to love and you're considerably less enthused, meh or worse about--

OR that you really like and no one else seems to

Alrighty then... :) Enjoy making these kinds of lists...

My less enthusies list,

Atlantis (Um no)

Dracula (repetitive, kinda dull, hurts hands to play longtime)
D&D Cloudy Mountain (kinda interesting, but i dont get it?)

Pinball (Sh*tball, although I only played on emulation, much prefer Midnight Magic on 2600)

Shark! Shark! (limited swim space, fun for some time, but then... kinda drab, too easy, then becomes too difficult)

SNAFU (nice but not great on solo play)

Space Battle (no score, predictible, game finishes)

Swords and Serpents (ugly graphics, i dont get the point of this game)

Love thy game 'o,

Auto Racing (challenging and fun, although I think some really like it as well?)

Blockade Runner (Very fun underrated outerspace shooter)

Carnival (nice difficulty settings, like it a lot ...just mute that heinous sound!)

Donkey Kong (when you time the jump late on stage one, its an enjoyable conversion)

Mission X (slow at first, but when attacks kick in, its pretty fun)

Mouse Trap (fun, and forgiving gameplay... is this disliked?)

Tron Maze a Tron (unlike anything else)

Tron Solar Sailer (unique voice game, interesting code and beam traveling)

Vectron (unpredictible, underrated and exciting)

That's about it. The rest are pretty well liked or agreed in the non-like.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7