IGNORED

New SDrive-Max stopped powering on.

gs80065xe

I just received a 1050 cased SDrive-Max from Vintage Computer. It was working well plugged into the external power and SIO. Would not work off SIO. Even with the switch to the left. So I ran it powered. Everything was working fine. Then the screen flipped upside down after saving settings and getting the screen calibration. Figured that out. The computer was still on as was the SDrive-Max's external power. I think I pushed the switch to the left while turning it around again. The screen went out and the two front red LED's began flashing. I flipped the switch back to the right. But they didn't stop flashing. So I unplugged its power. Waited a few seconds and tried to power on. Nothing. Unplug from Atari, and nothing. Flip switch again. Still nothing. I have an Arduino here, so I plugged the SDrive into my PC using it's USB cable only. This time I get a white screen, but nothing more. Plugged in with just SIO or external supply does nothing. Any ideas?

29 minutes ago, gs80065xe said:

I think I pushed the switch to the left while turning it around again. The screen went out and the two front red LED's began flashing.

You fried the UNO by having it connected to external power and the SIO +5V line at the same time. 

8 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

You fried the UNO by having it connected to external power and the SIO +5V line at the same time. 

Can't believe that someone would make it without some protection against this, if thats the cause, really bad show, I would ask for my money back 

41 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Likely only $3.50 https://a.aliexpress.com/_dT3vwKz

The only downside is that you have to wait for it, but you could educate yourself in that time. 

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/

Have you made your own SDrive-MAX? Because they do require soldering and if you’ve got an SIO isolation board inside it to allow the device to work with real drives on the SIO bus, it’s a pretty tight fit inside. Most of us who can or have the inclination already built our own before Gavin, Marlin and others started selling them pre-built for those who don’t have those skills.

27 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Yes, I did two with @Mr Robot excellent guide. @gs80065xe already have SDrive-MAX build and he doesn't have to trash his $80 device. He can fix it by swapping his UNO for new one for $3.50 and some easy software flashing. 

If you built your own, you know there’s soldering involved, including some pretty close-quarters soldering of the wire between the SIO board and the UNO that has to fit down between the UNO and the screen. And I don’t know how Gavin is building his units these days, but that SIO board is usually soldered directly to a set of pins right to the UNO. So it’ll be a fair bit of work to jus transplant everything to a new UNO. None of this is simple for someone who doesn’t have the tools, experience and skills with electronics.

I'm trying to flash it now. XLoader says its uploading the eprom writer hex file now. Screen is on. As are the LED's but they're not flashing. Should they be?

I've worked with devices this small before. And there is one last Radio Shack not too far from me. I can try an see if they have the UNO I need. Otherwise, I guess I'll get it from Amazon. The fit in the case is tight. And I'll have to see if the LED wires are longer and just tucked into the board. Though it has been years since I soldered anything.

Oh well, I was planning to replace the R189 resistor in my 800 to try and fix the display output. Guess this may be another project.

Edited by gs80065xe