IGNORED

The Pre Famicom Nintendo Thread!

You can use this thread to talk about anything* Nintendo made between 1889 to 1983. Now, I don't own any pre-Famicom Nintendo products, but I'm interested in learning more things about their early products (and hopefully see photos of people's collection too).

*I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the off-topic section, but since stuff like Game and Watch and Color TV-Game are in that time frame, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

There is a Color TV-Game in Retro Game Camp for sale for a little over 10000 yen. I keep thinking about buying it, but I don't know if I'd actually enjoy it as anything more than a piece of history. Not sure which one it is, either. It might even have been sold for all I know. I was thinking about going to Akiba tomorrow, so maybe I'll check to see if it is still there. It's a bit out of my way since I'm planning on going to the southern part of town, but the town is super tiny and it won't take more than an extra 20~30 minutes or so to walk over to RGC and then back to the station.

Not going to buy it right now since it is low priority, but I may if they still have it once I've finished buying the Mega Drive and PC Engine games that I want in a few months. If anyone's actually played one, let me know if it's cool and worth the money and I might prioritize it a little more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wario Ware has homages to some of the pre-videogame stuff Nintendo was making. Little driving mechanical games, "ultra-hand" grab it toy, the cowboy that falls apart when you shoot him. It's cute how they just threw them in there without making a big deal of it being a little museum exhibit. 

Some of the toys for those who haven't seen them

http://blog.beforemario.com/p/nintendo-before-mario.html

• Like 4

On 3/13/2020 at 11:23 PM, Newsdee said:

Who here has Nintendo hanafuda cards? ?

I only have some Mario themed poker cards...

I've just some standard playing cards they made in the sixties or seventies. 

I do have a couple of Game and Watches; Bughouse and Snoopy Tennis. Bughouse is excellent; Snoopy Tennis is a bit too basic.

Block Kuzushi is notable as the first product that Miyamoto designed the casing for. I've heard it's a pretty decent take on Breakout as well.

I do own a TV Color Game unit that I grabbed at Long Island Retro Expo last year - while it's true that I haven't played it much, it's such a cool historical oddity (and one I hope to get footage from soon) that I think it was worth the pickup.