IGNORED

the only thing wrong

when i first plugged in my c64, none of the keys worked.  slowly they are coming back to life as i use them (pound on them) the keyboard is in excellent condition, and the springs are strong, so i don't want to replace the keyboard.

what is the best way to get the keyboard working again?  i would rather not pull all the keys off.

here is a photo i took at legoland of the star wars exhibit.

20190817_150638.jpg

Firstly, if you really want people to pay attention to your posts, try using an appropriate and eye-catching subject, like "How can I get my C64 keyboard to work?" or something of that nature.

Secondly, if banging on the keys works, that might be your solution if you do not want to disassemble the keyboard.  Otherwise, you are looking at doing exactly that: disassembling and cleaning the copper contacts on the circuit board with alcohol.  Do not use alcohol on the rubber pads of the keys themselves as it can and will dry them out.  I have never tried this but I am told that rubber restorer works on the rubber key contacts.  YMMV.

• Like 1

Yes, you need to remove all those 30+ screws and clean the circuit board. The plungers can be revitalized with some graphite, e.g. a pencil or some graphite spray if you have. It will increase the conductivity. You don't have to remove the keycaps as you will be working from the underside.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, airsoftmodels said:

Thanks.  I am not sure I do really want people to pay attention to my posts.  This is just a hobby for me.  I want to have fun.  I am not in mortal danger.  I like my posts the way they are.

Well done.  You have provided me with the most ridiculous thing I will read all week.

I am not sure I do really want people to pay attention to my posts.

No point in posting anything, then.

This is just a hobby for me.

You are not unique. Not a single person makes this into anything more than a hobby.

I want to have fun.

I have to assume having fun means, in the context of this thread, having things working or finding ways to fix thing which do not work, and, again, if you are posting then one would assume you are looking for a response.

I am not in mortal danger.

This is nonsensical, but I suppose it could serve to prove that you are, like, totally super random.

I like my posts the way they are.

Congratulations.  I like farting in elevators, but doing so is selfish and other people do not like it, thus making it less helpful in soliciting assistance with a hobby in which I have fun, whether I am in mortal danger or otherwise.

This advice will fall on dear ears (or blind eyes, as it were,) but it behooves posters like yourself to use a subject on a thread the same as you would start a conversation with someone.  It also makes it easier to find in the future and for others skimming through subjects to say, "hey, I have that same issue... I wonder what advice was given."

We are a community, after all.  Super random individual expression is great in appropriate contexts and quantities.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I like farting in elevators

The problem with farting in elevators is eventually you are going to shit yourself.

You obviously take yourself very seriously, and expect others to take you seriously as well.

In the immortal words of the movie, Stripes, "Lighten up Francis."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, airsoftmodels said:

The problem with farting in elevators is eventually you are going to shit yourself.

You obviously take yourself very seriously, and expect others to take you seriously as well.

In the immortal words of the movie, Stripes, "Lighten up Francis."

What I take seriously is helping others, but if others do not want help‡ then they can shove off.

† I was trying to take you seriously.

‡ that is, help others to help them.

• 2 weeks later...