IGNORED

8bitDO Genesis bluetooth adapter and Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Am actually very disappointed that such contortions currently have to be done, and that NOBODY has taken an ESP32, hooked up 5 GPIO pins, and used the bluetooth to make a proper bluetooth adapter. sigh.

I'd do it, but I've got my hands full with #FujiNet.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

Yes unfortunately Sega decided to make their version of the controller ports only 80% compatible with the Atari 2600/8-bit and the C64 joystick port, all of which came before the Genesis. In fact they screwed it up so bad that the 6 button controllers will fry if connected to an Atari. I've thought about ways to correct this problem on the bluetooth adapters, but without actually being able to manufacture an extremely compact D-sub9 male/female adapter with the power correctly routed, it would become too unwieldy for my liking. A very unfortunate situation. 

Hi, just saw this thread, what are people looking for ?

Why bluetooth ?

Reason I ask, is I may look into it, I've already done a USB gamepad to my 800/130XE, using an UNO and USB HAT

it currently works with Buffalo Classic Gamepad and a Saltec Joypad.

I've also programed an ESP8266 which is similar to ESP32 so shouldn't be that difficult to do.

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Why bluetooth ?

Reason I ask, is I may look into it, I've already done a USB gamepad to my 800/130XE, using an UNO and USB HAT

it currently works with Buffalo Classic Gamepad and a Saltec Joypad.

I've also programed an ESP8266 which is similar to ESP32 so shouldn't be that difficult to do.

I think the desire for Bluetooth is that it's lower energy consumption than WiFi and has a well-defined protocol stack (unlike a generic 2.4Ghz wireless module --- I assume; I haven't actually looked at one of those).

10 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

This is what is being talked about...

Sega Genesis Bluetooth Receiver

m30-rr.png.f2bd44cea913a8ea351ff858b182ba66.png

Bluetooth Controller

m30.png.9c95aebc8e59912b5beac93a0f2cce75.png

8BitDo Website

The problem as stated previously is the location of the +5V on the respective controller ports for Genesis vs Atari.

Sega Genesis Controller Port

sega.png.ddfb12346e28dee660d73dcd3a357905.png

Atari 2600/8-bit/and C64 Controller Port

atari.jpg.2a80d28324079b76039fd6d00a11dfc3.jpg

If something like this existed with a male/female having the +5V rewired that would be ideal.

gender_adapter.jpg.d1b99f66d35687c97a2ce8d75713f854.jpg

Problem is that the currently available adapters are rather large and/or have a pigtailed connection to some kind of boxed connector (not ideal).

• Like 1

I got this 8bitdo adapter a few weeks back only to discover it was not compatible with my Atari XL. After searching the forum here I found the design for a genesis to Atari converter and a perfboard, a few resistor and 2 transistors later I had it working perfectly on the Atari. 
here is the link to the  Original post.

3 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

???

I've used 6-button Genesis controllers on my Atari systems for years and never had a problem.

The Hyperkin versions will cause the decoder inside the controller to over heat, and then it locks up. Shutting it down, letting the chip cool down, and then turning it back on will allow it to work for a bit until the problem repeats. Basically the problem is that the Atari will be putting power to the select line, which at least the Hyperkin's don't like.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Why bluetooth ?

For my part, I’d like to be able to use a wireless controller because of the way my XEGS is hooked up. Currently I need (a) very long controller cable(s) or very long video and power cables for comfortable gaming.

The 8bitdo device is handy because then they’re the ones who have to worry about communicating with different controllers, mapping buttons etc. They also provide firmware updates to support new controller types.

sorry, but hacking an adaptor is a horrible solution, especially since I've seen what most people just kludge together for something like this.

There needs to be something better.

As I've said before, I'd work on one, but my hands are full with #FujiNet firmware.

-Thom

The most logical solution would be to approach the 8BitDo people and see if they can make an Atari 2600, 8-bit, C64 version of the receiver. With that many platforms that could use it, I suspect the possibly extra $$$ would be worthwhile.

Edit: or they could simply make a switchable upgrade to what they are currently offering. We're only talking about switching one connection between pin 5 and pin 7.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mytek said:

The Hyperkin versions will cause the decoder inside the controller to over heat, and then it locks up. Shutting it down, letting the chip cool down, and then turning it back on will allow it to work for a bit until the problem repeats. Basically the problem is that the Atari will be putting power to the select line, which at least the Hyperkin's don't like.

I just avoided any possible incompatibilities years ago when I modded a Genesis 6-button for my 7800 by completely cutting the Genesis pad PCB out of the equation by cutting all traces and hard-wiring the directional and 2 buttons just like on a 7800 pad.  I didn't feel like bothering, at the time, in looking up a data sheet for the IC on the pad's board.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tschak909 said:

sorry, but hacking an adaptor is a horrible solution, especially since I've seen what most people just kludge together for something like this.

There needs to be something better.

As I've said before, I'd work on one, but my hands are full with #FujiNet firmware.

Fair enough, we'll wait. In the meantime my Megadrive pad has been perfectly usable for years with a (well built) adaptor that works on my Amigas, Ataris and on C64s.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:42 PM, Gunstar said:

I just avoided any possible incompatibilities years ago when I modded a Genesis 6-button for my 7800 by completely cutting the Genesis pad PCB out of the equation by cutting all traces and hard-wiring the directional and 2 buttons just like on a 7800 pad.  I didn't feel like bothering, at the time, in looking up a data sheet for the IC on the pad's board.

Here's a simple fix I did that leaves the original board intact...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mytek said:

Here's a simple fix I did that leaves the original board intact...

Thanks for the info. That old Genesis controller still works fine and what is done is done, but I'll keep this in mind if I want to modify another. Though keeping a controller intact is not a big concern of mine because if I modify one for another system, it's never meant to be used as original again anyway. There's certainly no shortage of these controllers out there...

Edited by Gunstar

Well, I finally received my BT Mouse/Joystick adapter. It works great! Very responsive. I recently installed a TK-II-Stereo board, which I love. (very well designed)  The PS2 keyboard that I am using is wireless keyboard. With a combination of of the TK-II and BT Mouse/Joystick adapter installed on my Atari, I can just about do anything from across the room. Now my son can play Fortnite without me in his gaming space. Happy home!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-Mouse-Joystick-Adapter-for-Amiga-Atari-Commodore-Amstrad-MSX/272811116348?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

• Thanks 1

Update on my adapter: I've received all the parts and put it together. While the joystick/d-pad works fine, the fire button isn't hooked up, so I'm experimenting to find out what the problem is. I thought I'd at least upload a photo to prove that I've done something:

IMG_0748.thumb.jpeg.228b31e0b4fb3571dbb97377a42badb0.jpeg

It might not work right, but at least it looks nice :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1