IGNORED

Colecovision HSC Season 13 - Round 5 - Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle

1 hour ago, Bmack36 said:

CORE03.PHX 460 kB · 0 downloads

This is a core you can install in the phoenix in slot 3. It has a modification for the ntt where the . key will jump. This version fixes a usability issue where it will cancel the right input while the . key is pressed. This way you can continue pressing right and hit the . to jump without having to release the right direction.

once you install it, make sure to load the core 3 from the menu.

It is funny you should post this now as I just figured out I had to let go of the right direction as I press up in order to make my jumps work. I like the NTT for this game now that I figured it out, just gotta quit dying stupidly.

Will have to give the core a try too to see how I like it.

[Skill 4]:  336,100 pts.  I was nervous about possibly missing the 300k mark when I lost a life at 294k and was down to my last life.  As usual, all lives were lost to the birds either immediately before the bat's cave, or immediately after the bat's cave.  You should never lose any in the white fence area, the cave, or the castle.

Smurf Rescue skill 4 336,100 pts.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DuggerVideoGames said:

Looks like 336,100 pts. is the best I'm going to do in this round.  Had 335,300 pts. moments ago and lost my last life because my cats are jerks who suddenly decided to block the TV and swat at the Smurf and the bird.  Still love them to death.

I feel for ya...we have five cats...they are always finding new and unique ways to interrupt everything I do.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, Northcoastgamer said:

Smurf Rescue Bonus Points: Play the game & post a score= +3

Score 5,000= +2, Score 10,000= +3, Score 25,000= +4, Score 50,000= +5, Score 100,000= +7, Score 200,000+10, Score 300,000 & up= +12

Smurf Rescue Scores

1)336,100 DuggerVideoGames +3 +10 +10  Record Breaker :-o :-o

Shouldn't the blue +10 be a red +12 because the score was higher than 300k?  Thanks.

Congrats on breaking 100k!  As I'm sure you've noticed in your own improvements, just beating a few more levels makes it easier to rack up a good score.  Depending on the layout and point values on each screen, you're going to get over 20k per level sometimes; you're always getting 10,300 points for finishing the screen with Smurfette (300 for the skull and 10,000 for Smurfette).

^Right on. I have been jumping more over the bats in the grasslands than I have previously. I would also agree with you that you should never lose a life on the fence path the cave or the castle. At times I can go through all the scenes and save Smurfette without losing a life. But sometimes blow chunks and lose 2-3-4 in seconds. Your bonus has been updated.

• Like 1

Here's a video I made almost four years ago when I had 184k.  You'll see how helpful the double-jump is at getting you through things quickly if you anticipate the bird's path well.  If you go to the seven-minute mark in the video, you'll see one of the more difficult screens in the game and how to jump through that path.  On skill 4, you pretty much need to have your mind already made up quickly about what you're going to do when you reach a new screen.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DuggerVideoGames said:

Here's a video I made almost four years ago when I had 184k.  You'll see how helpful the double-jump is at getting you through things quickly if you anticipate the bird's path well.  If you go to the seven-minute mark in the video, you'll see one of the more difficult screens in the game and how to jump through that path.  On skill 4, you pretty much need to have your mind already made up quickly about what you're going to do when you reach a new screen.

You went pretty far on your last Smurf around 108K, very impressive. You certainly have played a lot by the way you hit your marks and the double jumping, again very impressive. I have been trying to do more double jumping myself. This game is fun and aggravating to me at times, like I want to break something. I noticed around the 4:00 mark in the video, you had back to back screens in the grasslands with no bat. Quite odd. 

22 minutes ago, Northcoastgamer said:

You went pretty far on your last Smurf around 108K, very impressive. You certainly have played a lot by the way you hit your marks and the double jumping, again very impressive. I have been trying to do more double jumping myself. This game is fun and aggravating to me at times, like I want to break something. I noticed around the 4:00 mark in the video, you had back to back screens in the grasslands with no bat. Quite odd. 

Thank you.  Yeah, when I had 336k, I had back-to-back screens with no yellow spiders, either.  I have no idea what triggers it (or if it's just pre-determined).

1 hour ago, Northcoastgamer said:

As a matter of fact, I used your 184K score from a few years back to help determine the bonus points for this round. You mentioned it last time we played Smurf Rescue I think. 

You're right, actually.  Found the thread.  We played Skill 2 during a spring of 2017 knockout tournament.  I found out that the score doesn't roll over when you hit a million, and I suggested that others try to top my skill 4 score if they wanted a challenge.  Wow.  Hard to believe it's been three years already!