IGNORED

VIC-20 Case options

I have several VIC-20 mainboards in my collection.  However, what I do not have is cases for these.  I know there was a group buy on 64C cases several years ago, and that their still available through Europe.  However, I seemed to remember someone trying to get a campaign together for breadbin style cases.  If my memory serves me, I should be able to use the C64 Breadbin case, and simply extend the cartridge slot opening.  But, I'd prefer not to butcher an original case if possible.  Anyone have any suggestions?

*EDIT*
If anyone even knows of a STL for a Breadbin case that is pretty close (I've only found two, neither are designed as a replacement, only as models) I could 3D Print it, and I'd be fine with that option.  I'm not really worried about having something pretty, just usable....

Edited by jdgabbard
Adding more info.

The C64C cases still are available to buy, but they are not cheap. Just like you write, you'd have to cut open the cartridge connector, otherwise it probably would work.

https://shop.pixelwizard.eu/commodore-c64/gehaeuse/

Then comes the question where to find a keyboard. I know there was a crowdfunding campaign which never delivered several years ago, and there recently was a new campaign which I haven't followed how it went. Both were for keycaps, though the latter had a stretch goal to include the PCB too. I think you could use something like C=Key from Retro Innovations to use a PC keyboard, which would allow you to put together any kind of box, 3D printed or made by hand.

http://store.go4retro.com/c-key-keyboard-adapter/

I know there are some other people trying to come up with a similar solution but so far I've not found anything ready to buy.

Well, as for a keyboard, there is this guy...  If he's not going to sell them he may be willing to allow others to use his gerbers:  https://www.breadbox64.com/blog/the-mechboard64/

As for the case, the 64C case might not work very well since I think the VIC-20's plate on the right had side is substantially different...I could be wrong.  I guess it could be cut and hacked to make it work.  Either way, shipping over from Europe isn't the best with the guys peddling them.  I'd almost rather 3D print a case for the price.  Especially since I now have a printer with a massive build volume (330x330x400).

Found this:  https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/electronics/breadbin-commodore-64-enclosure-3d-print-model

This guy has printable models for the C64 and the C64C.  So I may see what software he designed in and see if he'd sell the design files instead of the STLs.  But, looks like that might be a better bet for me than hacking an original case.  If I can get the original files, and modify them for the VIC-20, it'd be perfect.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Are your VIC-20 boards the earlier model with a two-prong 9V power, or the newer cost reduced design with DIN power? I agreee that the two-prong probably would have issues fitting in a C64C case but the CR model might be a better fit.

They’re the DIN model. Back when the 8-bit guy did the video on them I tracked down where he got them from and bought a few, then shared the link. He shortly after bought the entire stock and was selling them on his website for 10x the price. ?

I don’t have a C64 to compare them to, so I’m not sure how well they’d fit.