IGNORED

HSC17 Round 5: BOULDERDASH II

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Kendallsoft Kaverns on NYD 2018 :evil:

Another time we could all make some new levels for a round eh?

so it seems Boulderdash is a Marmite "love it or hate it " game, so let's survey HSC players:

me I love both (you cannot be neutral so pick!) my theory is Marmite lovers love boulderdash too II too !

Love Marmite, don't love BD

• Like 1

Like I wrote before, I like Boulder Dash as a concept, but not the biggest fan in terms of the actual games. Sure, levels that are just enough challenging so one can figure out how to solve them are good but at one point I tend to move to do something else.

No idea about Marmite but I love smörgåskaviar which supposedly is something only Swedes understand why you should eat.

10 hours ago, carlsson said:

Like I wrote before, I like Boulder Dash as a concept, but not the biggest fan in terms of the actual games. Sure, levels that are just enough challenging so one can figure out how to solve them are good but at one point I tend to move to do something else.

No idea about Marmite but I love smörgåskaviar which supposedly is something only Swedes understand why you should eat.

Ha that does not look like something I'd enjoy eating. But then I guess I shouldn't say that until I've tried it! Next time I'm in Sweden, maybe...!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, McKong said:

Love Marmite, don't love BD

the exeption that proves the rule :ponder:

13 hours ago, slx said:

Brought a jar of marmite from a visit to the UK but never got the hang of it.... 

you need to take the lid off :rolling:

12 hours ago, carlsson said:

is that that fermented stuff you see on all the travel shows, might become valuable in the apocalypse

10 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Love it :)

and level making would be great.

Bit like what we all did with Rally Speedway :).... would love to play that again.

me too (let's start a movement!) so there's plenty to be doing guys :thumbsup:

I'm hitting the rocky slopes again today, need to schedule in about 5 hours!

17 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

s that that fermented stuff you see on all the travel shows

No, smörgåskaviar is salty and smoked, not fermented. You're probably thinking about surströmming, the fermented herring that people abroad like to import and then eat as a challenge, often the completely wrong way which makes it even more foul to consume than it otherwise would be. Not that I'm eating surströmming myself, I think it smells horrible but alas there are ways to alleviate it rather than aggravate it like many YouTubers tend to.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, carlsson said:

No, smörgåskaviar is salty and smoked, not fermented..

Kids and myself like Kalles Kaviar as a breadspread, which is probably the ‚light‘ version. Sold at IKEA here, although they dropped the striped version years ago and never carried the others. Very convenient as it can be kept in the fridge for months. 

• Like 2

Yeah, there was a guy here on AA who wanted me to ship him a few tubes to the US but I never got as far as finding a reasonable way to ship it (since it needs to be refridgerated) before he had attracted enough wrath from the mods to get permanently banned. Standard Kalles is the definition, then there are some even milder and a few a little stronger like Kalles Guld (yes, that is gold in Swedish) and a couple luxury brands with roe from more premium fishes but I don't think it is worth paying extra for.

• Like 2

I was a little hesitant about playing this game for levels. It is one of those sacred games for me as we played it a ton in the 80's. Not sure what it is but I didn't want to do this one in a competition. But, I suppose I have no excuses this time around. For my first listing, I completed A through M level 1 so far. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

Completed A1 thru D4, although I think I scored lower than @therealbountybob

With all this talk of Marmite and smörgåskaviar, maybe we need to add Food Fight to the HSC list.

Great work :thumbsup: lower score probably equals better play, though I am very very greedy and always get am much as I can!

16 hours ago, MagicMarc-er said:

I was a little hesitant about playing this game for levels. It is one of those sacred games for me as we played it a ton in the 80's. Not sure what it is but I didn't want to do this one in a competition. But, I suppose I have no excuses this time around. For my first listing, I completed A through M level 1 so far. 

:thumbsup:

Effectively we (some of us) are playing form the start each time so it should work out ok for anyone struggling with the game to at least get a few levels under their belts and make a contest of it.

*Luckily I played again last night, well I started in the afternoon and survived a wobble near the end of level 2, then recovered to reach C4 where I got to on my last good go, passed that then got to G4 and burned through all of my lives and thought I was out... but I had one extra life collected and got it together and beat that (I can see why this is where the Mighty Scalak got to for the HSC record) but then I eventually met my match on the dreaded cave M - very tricky, looks like another go or two needed this next week! I managed to do most of the bonus screens, just the one with the 6 boxes to figure out, also still not figured out the trick to the one with the packs of firefly+butterfly+2boulders, there is a trick (better read up!)

Completed A1-L4 score 49,300

How about a fun Challenge: Most diamonds collected on Cave B1 :)

Think I had 110 but there are more possible.

Next Poll - soon!

Photo2818.thumb.jpg.855f4495cccbb88c2f00489d32d06243.jpgPhoto2821.thumb.jpg.86110b4adec08ee944b3f4c8327e697f.jpgPhoto2822.thumb.jpg.d225e0a8736567e7d3dbedc133bdd0ae.jpg

• Like 3

Still can't decide if the game is a bit slicker on the 25th aniv. ver.  Players might find the faster speed on level 2 or 3 is more playable than level 1 :ponder: C'mon C1 isn't too hard you guys :)

The Round 6 poll is open!

Latest Tables

BOULDERDASH II

Overall Screens Completed  (score for reference only)
  1st   therealbountybob                60  12pts (49,300)
  2nd   oracle_jedi                     52  11pts (32,123)
  3rd   RedThunder                      27  10pts
  4th   MagicMarc-er                    22  9pts
  5th   graywest                        14  8pts
  6th   McKong                          12  7pts
  7th   Starbug                          8  6pts
  8th   Deteacher                        6  5pts
  9th   Fallout_002                      2  4pts
  9th   carlsson                         2  4pts
  9th   slx                              2  4pts
  9th   McKong Bro                       2  4pts

Level 1
  1st   therealbountybob        A1-L4         60
  2nd   oracle_jedi             A1-D4         52
  3rd   MagicMarc-er            A1-F2         22
  4th   RedThunder              A1-P1         16
  5th   graywest                A1-N1         14
  6th   Starbug                 A1-H1          8
  7th   Deteacher               A1-F1          6
  7th   McKong                  A1-F1          6
  9th   carlsson                A1-B1          2
  9th   Fallout_002             A1-B1          2
  9th   slx                     A1-B1          2
  9th   McKong Bro              A1-B1          2

Level 2
  1st   RedThunder              A2-E2          5
  2nd   McKong                  A2-B2          2

Level 3
  1st   RedThunder              A3-C3          3
  2nd   McKong                  A3-B3          2

Level 4
  1st   RedThunder              A4-C4          2
  2nd   McKong                  A4-B4          1

Level 5
  1st   RedThunder              A5             1
  2nd   McKong                  A5             1

17 minutes ago, RedThunder said:

A1, B1, C1, D1, E1, F1, G1, H1, I1, J1, K1, L1, M1, N1, O1, P1

A2, B2, C2, D2, E2, F1, G1

A3, B3, C3

A4, B4, C4

A5

All Bonus Life Rounds (Failed)

Those bonus screens are tricky but keep it interesting when you are ploughing through the levels and as it gets tight you need the lives, sort of like Block on Legs the 9 lives max cap works out quite well as they ebb abd flow and add to the pressure on  a long run.

Did you make it all the way through level 1 from the start? A1-G2 or just hitting the start points?

"Use the grab" :idea:

29 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Those bonus screens are tricky but keep it interesting when you are ploughing through the levels and as it gets tight you need the lives, sort of like Block on Legs the 9 lives max cap works out quite well as they ebb abd flow and add to the pressure on  a long run.

Did you make it all the way through level 1 from the start? A1-G2 or just hitting the start points?

"Use the grab" :idea:

Just using the starts points as and when.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Most diamonds collected on Cave B1

I managed 98 diamonds on B/1.

I also somehow solved C/1 though I thought I would be one diamond short. I also figured out D/1 but too late so I ran out of time, so I can't claim I finished that level yet.

• Like 2