IGNORED

Somethings Got to Go

marc.teeters

So, me and the wife purchased a smaller home a few years back and I lost my man cave. I have 18 home consoles and 2 handhelds most of which have become dust collectors. I decided to start trimming them down to the point where I can keep most of them plugged in with a few routers. I have a Sears Video Arcade (the one with the combination joystick/paddle controllers, and a 2600 jr that both work great right now. I also have a 7800 that has a power supply on life support with no good replacement options ($50ish on Ebay for one that will probably break in a few years). My question is , removing all nostalgia and modding from the equation, which system would you guys keep or would you dump all 3 to get a retron 77? I don't see more than a half dozen 7800 games that I can't play on nes or other newer systems so I'm not sure its worth keeping on it's own merits.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I like actual consoles way better than the Retron 77. I'd keep the 7800 but would strongly consider the Sears Video Arcade since it's a cool design.

P.S. - Initially I thought you were going to tell us you were getting rid of the wife.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like actual consoles way better than the Retron 77. I'd keep the 7800 but would strongly consider the Sears Video Arcade since it's a cool design.

P.S. - Initially I thought you were going to tell us you were getting rid of the wife.
Well she makes more money than I do and is a great cook. Not to mention I'm old ,fat and balding so it's easier to buy consoles.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cvga said:

The Retron77 is a half-assed combo of emulation and hardware. If you want to experience the grandness and full scope of emulation, just use a PC.

I'd keep the original VCS. It's nice bit of engineering that's almost 50-years old.

• Like 1

I've got 6 ways to play atari games on a TV, 6 switcher, jr, colecovision, 7800, retron 77, and of course PC (through atarivault and emulation of course..)

As I have a good PAL 7800 collection, and given I wouldn't be getting rid of my PC, if I had only one of the others I would opt for the 7800 and that is just a personal preference. I've praised the retron 77 before but its not real hardware, it lets me play NTSC games without issues (PAL user) and the newer homebrews which I can't run on my uno cart, as well as hdmi support (none of my other devices is beyond RF quality) so I have more reason than others to like the retron 77, but I still wouldn't take it over an original.

Between a 6 switcher, jr, and the colecovision I'd always opt for the 6 switcher for looks alone!

I have a Retron 77. It's finicky (doesn't always read carts), seems cheaply made, and doesn't "feel" right to me. I unhooked it, reverted back to my 7800 and am much happier. I have a good friend though who absolutely loves his Retron 77 so it's probably more a matter of personal preference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cvga said:

I have a Retron 77. It's finicky (doesn't always read carts), seems cheaply made, and doesn't "feel" right to me. I unhooked it, reverted back to my 7800 and am much happier. I have a good friend though who absolutely loves his Retron 77 so it's probably more a matter of personal preference.

My buddy has a Retron77 and the same things apply. The Stella team here on AA are doing what seems like heroic levels of support. And that is great. But should that be necessary to get a product to work in an enjoyable manner?

I don't have one. But from the last year or so of reading about it I formed the opinion it's tedious and NOT harmonious mix of components. C'mon, a cartridge reader and an emulator?

The Retron77 is great fun and so are the Flashback consoles but if you play them side by side to a classic Atari and Television setup they cannot match it yet. 

Emulating Electron Guns and Phosphor and subtle control of these elements via the TIA are not yet within the realm of emulation, Altirra shows great promise with artifacting which is also not emulated yet, but it could be. Current implementation of phosphor emu simply merges frames which causes incompatibility with certain games though there is room to improve this.

A classic setup has none of these limitations.

Decades ago I had the 2600 Jr and the 7800... I preferred the 7800 at the time...

After years of emulation I kept wanting real hardware, faults and all...

On my recent return I opted for the six switch VCS.  The original hardware in operation is hard to beat.