IGNORED

Season 17 Round 4 - Balloon Fight

asponge

This season we're playing all black box titles.  Up next is the Joust remake Balloon Fight.  Due to the low 10-Yard Fight participation and previous discussion regarding the dislike of sports games in general, I've also decided to take Baseball and Soccer out of the list and make them optional titles that can be played for bonus points throughout the season.  The rules are outlined below.

629387586_BalloonFightCartridge.png.f5651291c2ae98af3c27c7f92f3c1db9.png 105294994_BalloonFightScreenshot.png.6096770db183e43bcd875198f18bec3c.png

Game Rules:

Game A

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday March 29 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

764,150 by Austin posted on 5/11/2012

Scores as of 3/29:

Tempest            580,300
mbd30              355,550
asponge            354,800
S.BAZ              306,050
empsolo            286,200
fakecortex         264,900
Player One         110,300
TheActivisionary   106,450
agb                 93,950
roadrunner          69,800
jblenkle            15,250

Bonus

Baseball:
Tempest       5-1   +25
fakecortex    4-2   +10

Soccer:
Tempest      10-0   +30
fakecortex   10-1   +25

Season Standings:
Scoreboard.png.8d37568941257a7d2cdca917fcc79c3d.png

Bonus Games

These are optional games where you can earn up to 25 extra season points per game.  To claim a bonus, post your final score in the current game thread anytime during the season.  Feel free to post multiple times if your score improves as the season goes on.  +5 season points will be awarded, up to 25, for every run/goal you score over the CPU.  For example, if the final score is Player 3 and CPU 1 then points earned are calculated as (3 - 1) x 5 = 10.  An additional 5 points per game will be awarded to the player who submits the highest score differential.

Baseball

651268771_BaseballCartridge.png.f9645798ad4308874dd3ebacbdcc91e9.png 1709518140_BaseballScreenshot.png.815c89344d1a5745b2adfe0ea31a1280.png

Rules:

Choose any team.

Manual

Soccer

658812209_SoccerCartridge.png.99027172119466f721710503ddf144f7.png 334726680_SoccerScreenshot.png.0394290ed75b299431bad192972e5247.png

Rules:

Choose any team

Skill Level 1

Half Time 15

Manual

Remaining Black Box Season Titles:
Devil World

Donkey Kong 3

Donkey Kong Jr.

Excitebike

Ice Climber

Mach Rider

Pinball

Rad Racer

Urban Champion

Wrecking Crew

Note: This may not be the play order.

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 14 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Love me some Balloon Fight. mbd30, that is a high score right there.

My best so far: 57,350

bf-3-16-57k.thumb.JPG.a45ed48351de05ce1dc9ab2ae85da9d9.JPG

Also, played some Soccer the other night. 

Final score: Player 6 - CPU 0 (maxed out my score bonus points, let's see about highest goal differential everyone :))

1176464380_Soccer2020-03-1521_56_03.thumb.png.840bf7fb2f41c081fc8c7c80d2f269e7.png

I thought that I posted about these bonus games. Maybe I dreamt it? Anyway, I like the idea of having these two sports games as bonuses. And since they don't score like traditional video games, the point differential idea works well. Also, the time is a consideration. Soccer at least has a timer, but Baseball is brutally long. I like baseball games (love love baseball simulator 1,000) but vs baseball is...well, it's no baseball simulator, to put it nicely. My bros and I always joked that it was broken. In fact, my one brother had exchanged it at the store a couple of times bc he thought it was, haha. Anyway, I propose shortening Baseball to maybe 3 full innings, then post your score. I feel it'll be a challenge without being a chore then. Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Soccer at least has a timer, but Baseball is brutally long. I like baseball games (love love baseball simulator 1,000) but vs baseball is...well, it's no baseball simulator, to put it nicely.  Anyway, I propose shortening Baseball to maybe 3 full innings, then post your score. I feel it'll be a challenge without being a chore then. 

Yeah, Baseball isn't great.  That's why it's optional.  However, everyone has 16 weeks to post a score.  That should be enough time to complete at least one game...  Who's got the wherewithal to endure?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tempest said:

Hahaha, omg Tempest your misplaced comma had me reading your score as 58k, not 580k. Wow you guys, these are some freakin' high scores.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, asponge said:

fakecortex   Soccer   6-0   +30

Season Standings:
scoreboard.png.9327195a11ebb9fe1c4ac477dc41f812.png

Also, asponge- the Totals aren't including 10-Yard Fight, just the first two rounds. Also, shouldn't my bonus be capping at 25, or are you including the extra 5 because it's the high so far?

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

Also, asponge- the Totals aren't including 10-Yard Fight, just the first two rounds.

Yeah I goofed it.  Thanks for catching that.

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

Also, shouldn't my bonus be capping at 25, or are you including the extra 5 because it's the high so far?

Yes I added the extra 5 for holding the high score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

What about adding Rad Racer?  That's a silver box title, but I think it still counts.

Makes sense to me. I had forgotten about that one.

Also, how does everyone feel about Kid Icarus? That's also a pixel art title that fits the theme.

BTW, you had mentioned DK3 earlier. I'll add that as well. I wasn't sure if that'd be too much DK, but DK3 and Jr are pretty different if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, asponge said:

Also, how does everyone feel about Kid Icarus? That's also a pixel art title that fits the theme.

BTW, you had mentioned DK3 earlier. I'll add that as well. I wasn't sure if that'd be too much DK, but DK3 and Jr are pretty different if I remember correctly.

DK3 is a completely different game, I'm down for it. Man, Kid Icarus is brutal, but ok, lol.

Also, Tempest, nice job. Man, now I gotta try it again if I want those extra 5 points? Hmm...

Edited by fakecortex

1 hour ago, asponge said:

The problem with Kid Icarus is that IIRC there's no timer so you could sit and run up the score by blasting those little things the grim reaper summons or go back and forth between rooms in the fortresses.

• Like 1

Baseball: 5-1

baseball.thumb.JPG.bf4bc00bb5245752299bd6d105823a41.JPG

I spent far too much time with this one.  There are so many things wrong with this game:

1. The computer CHEATS!  Also I had mysterious double outs when I wasn't doing anything that screwed up a few of my games.

2. Your runners don't automatically advance.  WTH?

3. The controls are wonky and don't work half the time.  Half the time I was throwing to third instead of second.

4. The game takes waaaay too long to play.  I know it's baseball, but it seems super slow for some reason

Honestly, I'd just ditch this one and maybe go for Golf instead, but hope no one cheats at it.  This one it too brutal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

Black box Baseball may have been worth playing in 1983 but it sucks now. I hate sports games in general but I especially hate black box Baseball.

I thought I had fond memories of it, but now I realize I was thinking of RBI Baseball.  I don't think I've ever played the NES Baseball until now.

7 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I thought I had fond memories of it, but now I realize I was thinking of RBI Baseball.  I don't think I've ever played the NES Baseball until now.

I only played it for a NintendoAge contest and it was hated by almost everybody lol.

I figured out my mysterious double out issue.  Turns out if there's a pop up and you make one of your other guys run to base (from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd) and they catch the ball BOTH runners are out.  What the heck kind of Baseball is Nintendo playing? 

Seriously, please don't play this game.  It's torture and it's terrible.

12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I figured out my mysterious double out issue.  Turns out if there's a pop up and you make one of your other guys run to base (from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd) and they catch the ball BOTH runners are out.  What the heck kind of Baseball is Nintendo playing? 

Seriously, please don't play this game.  It's torture and it's terrible.

Lol. It's like they're forcing an out before they let them tag up? That or they're trying an infield fly rule and getting it wrong. Which is not the only thing that game was getting wrong.

btw, my baseball collection caught wind of this conversation and sent black box Baseball to the punishment corner. Famicom even joined in. Don't get so cocky LJN, you're next.

vsbaseball-punshimentcorner.thumb.JPG.04b0f22ddd715b1ca5af329656a49655.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah Kid Icarus is a hard one for score contests.  Even if you're not trying to farm points, the maze-levels kind of make you do it.  It requires exploring and finding your way around, hence re-entering rooms a LOT, in order to finish the level.  (I think level 3 is like this).  So in those levels you get less points for being better at the level.  UNLESS you intentionally farm for points. 

PLUS you'll need to farm for hearts from time to time which also racks up points.  So those with the best skills will lose out on all those points.

I guess we could say just do your best and don't intentionally farm specifically for points but again, if there are multiple players finishing the game, whichever of them performs the worst will have the higher score I think.

However we do it -- I'll say I really do like Kid Icarus and would be happy to play it.  :)