IGNORED

Yurkie's Colecovision controller ball tops

SearsRoebuck

Hey all, getting back into Colecovision after a few years away, and I was told that Yurkie retired from modding, so I would not be able to get his nice controller ball tops again.  

So I am wondering if anyone either knows what he used for these, or has a comparable solution that is something like them. I really liked the ones that I had (and I regret selling them) and would like that set up again

Another AA member has found an alternative ball top that doesn't require any pre-threading and can be used to screw directly onto the stalk of the original controller once you remove the flat top original top. I've not tried it myself but it was available locally from a common source for them and I'm told works quite well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Another AA member has found an alternative ball top that doesn't require any pre-threading and can be used to screw directly onto the stalk of the original controller once you remove the flat top original top. I've not tried it myself but it was available locally from a common source for them and I'm told works quite well!

Do you have them? If so I may send you my controllers when 'we're ready'. 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:21 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

That was me! I found terrific ball knobs at good ol' Ace Hardware in the parts drawer section. Others praised Knobs Direct which now seems owned by Monroe Engineering.

Simple steps:

1. Use a hair dryer (or heat gun) to heat up the aluminum sticker on top of the disc knob.
  2. Use a guitar pick or iPhone take-apart spudger tool to remove the sticker without damaging it.
  3. Unscrew using a Phillips #2 point.
  4. Grab yer knob and TWIST!

Stays securely. I've yet to see a knob become contorted or stripped. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, phattyboombatty said:

That was me! I found terrific ball knobs at good ol' Ace Hardware in the parts drawer section. Others praised Knobs Direct which now seems owned by Monroe Engineering.

Simple steps:

1. Use a hair dryer (or heat gun) to heat up the aluminum sticker on top of the disc knob.
  2. Use a guitar pick or iPhone take-apart spudger tool to remove the sticker without damaging it.
  3. Unscrew using a Phillips #2 point.
  4. Grab yer knob and TWIST!

Stays securely. I've yet to see a knob become contorted or stripped. Enjoy!

I knew it was you, but you found them and I was letting you give the details on your terms. Thank you for finding these and providing the info!

• Thanks 1

I also found mine at Ace hardware a few weeks ago (and also was telling CrossBow about them). They are about 1-1/4" OD, and the internal threads are 5/16-18. Just use a little force and screw them onto the shafts. The brass inserts in the knobs will cut the threads for you. The only thing you need to do is adjust the position of the ball as you are threading to make sure it goes on straight. IMG_5227.thumb.jpeg.8ed484001a5422c2c48bd90791a267ba.jpegIMG_5223.thumb.jpeg.f79e76fcdadfa4093f9a04ac937e3606.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Nelson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 9:31 PM, Bobby Nelson said:

On Amazon you can get a 2-pack of them for a few cents less than I paid at Ace hardware...well as long as you don't have to pay shipping.

You have the link for Amazon ball knobs thanks.

Edited by TOYPIGG

On 4/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, Bobby Nelson said:

Here is another option for the proper knobs. Shipping might get ya a bit if you're only buying two but these are what you're looking for:

https://www.mcmaster.com/6046k35

Be advised that I just ordered 4 of these. 2 for a client that is wanting ball tops on their controllers while I have their CV here for service, and two for myself. In the end it was just shy of $20 total with shipping from McMaster. In fact, the shipping cost more than the 4 knobs did. Also while the knobs certainly feel solid, mine have very noticeable seams along their equators that you can be felt as well. So while the knobs themselves might be cheaper, they come out the same price wise as the ones from ACE if you can find them once you factor in the shipping etc.

Ball_top_installed.jpg

I did this mod a few years ago, back when that large knob order was placed.. here's what I learned: Don't waste your time creating plastic threads. I bought a set off of Yurkie, before then, back when I wasn't as self reliant as I got to be later on, mod wise and they lasted maybe a week at best. It was a pain to extract the plastic nub out of there. At least they didn't last long for me, but I'm usually hard on stuff. ?

Instead, I recommend taking the plastic joystick and hollowing it out, through the bottom with a drill bit. Grab a 1/4" - 20 X 1" (course threaded) bolt (or whatever size I.D. your knob is), cut the head off the bolt and run it up through the hollowed out middle part. Next, epoxy (JB weld, etc) the bolt to the base, through the bottom/inside, leaving about 1/2" of thread sticking out of the top of the plastic base, to be able to fully thread the knob until it nearly bottoms out. Also make sure it's not sticking out through the bottom, allowing enough space, like how the original "cup" part was, which pivoted on base part inside the controller. After the epoxy is dry and controllers reassembled, it'll be bulletproof!  

Wish I had pics - it's would explain a 1000 words. I'll see what I can do though, but I'll have to dig them out, as I haven't used them in a long time (I use a NTT data pad and/or arcade controller nowadays). Hope this helps! ;)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD

These other tops we are talking about have a larger thread diameter and don't require having to use a tap and die set. You can literally just screw these right onto the shaft once you remove the original tops. It will thread down to the 1cm or so that the originals cleared. You can feel the seams on the ones I ordered but otherwise I've never enjoyed using the CV stock controller more than I am now! 

The knobs were 1.80 each. I ordered 4 of them. 2 for a Client whose CV I'm working on now and rebuilding their controllers. And 2 for me. The actual order came to $7+ change. Then there was just under a $1 in tax and the shipping made up the rest. So yeah...I if I want to get more in the future, I need to see if my ACE stores happen to carry them but just don't list them online.

• Like 1

One of these days, I'll get around to designing some 3d printed aftermarket joystick type handles for the coleco.  I have a few sets of coleco controllers in my inventory that have some really snazzy gray joystick top controllers.  I would like to recreate those.  

Or maybe make some ball type extensions that slide over the existing shaft and you can attach them with the screw that the old disc knob was attached with.  Put it to the belt sander to make it super smooth and buff it to a polish shine.

Edited by Ruggers Customs

• 4 weeks later...

The shaft is already there on your controllers. We’re removing the disc that is there originally and putting these knobs on instead.

No hardware needed, the knobs have a threaded insert already in them so you just screw them on the original shaft.

Did you ask your ace store if they could order the knobs for you? (Just curious)