SearsRoebuck

Yurkie's Colecovision controller ball tops

Hey all, getting back into Colecovision after a few years away, and I was told that Yurkie retired from modding, so I would not be able to get his nice controller ball tops again.  

So I am wondering if anyone either knows what he used for these, or has a comparable solution that is something like them. I really liked the ones that I had (and I regret selling them) and would like that set up again

I have some of the knobs that I believe he used, don't remember where I got them.  I think you have to remove the top of the CV controller, then use a threading die to thread the shaft and then install the knobs

knobs.thumb.jpg.85fa423b4a18f7e6f2be659de6eb880f.jpg

Another AA member has found an alternative ball top that doesn't require any pre-threading and can be used to screw directly onto the stalk of the original controller once you remove the flat top original top. I've not tried it myself but it was available locally from a common source for them and I'm told works quite well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Another AA member has found an alternative ball top that doesn't require any pre-threading and can be used to screw directly onto the stalk of the original controller once you remove the flat top original top. I've not tried it myself but it was available locally from a common source for them and I'm told works quite well!

Do you have them? If so I may send you my controllers when 'we're ready'. 

I do not have them. As I stated another AA member told me they found a local source for them to get some similar. I've not gone to look for myself as yet.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:21 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

That was me! I found terrific ball knobs at good ol' Ace Hardware in the parts drawer section. Others praised Knobs Direct which now seems owned by Monroe Engineering.

Simple steps:

1. Use a hair dryer (or heat gun) to heat up the aluminum sticker on top of the disc knob.
  2. Use a guitar pick or iPhone take-apart spudger tool to remove the sticker without damaging it.
  3. Unscrew using a Phillips #2 point.
  4. Grab yer knob and TWIST!

Stays securely. I've yet to see a knob become contorted or stripped. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, phattyboombatty said:

That was me! I found terrific ball knobs at good ol' Ace Hardware in the parts drawer section. Others praised Knobs Direct which now seems owned by Monroe Engineering.

Simple steps:

1. Use a hair dryer (or heat gun) to heat up the aluminum sticker on top of the disc knob.
  2. Use a guitar pick or iPhone take-apart spudger tool to remove the sticker without damaging it.
  3. Unscrew using a Phillips #2 point.
  4. Grab yer knob and TWIST!

Stays securely. I've yet to see a knob become contorted or stripped. Enjoy!

I knew it was you, but you found them and I was letting you give the details on your terms. Thank you for finding these and providing the info!

• Thanks 1

Here too, is a classic thread on some knobs. @KevinMos3 placed a group order and distributed them to participating AA members. That was a lot of fun playing with balls! You'll see some great pics posted by KevinMos at this link, but this had more to do with the CV Flashback controllers.

Posted (edited)

I also found mine at Ace hardware a few weeks ago (and also was telling CrossBow about them). They are about 1-1/4" OD, and the internal threads are 5/16-18. Just use a little force and screw them onto the shafts. The brass inserts in the knobs will cut the threads for you. The only thing you need to do is adjust the position of the ball as you are threading to make sure it goes on straight. IMG_5227.thumb.jpeg.8ed484001a5422c2c48bd90791a267ba.jpegIMG_5223.thumb.jpeg.f79e76fcdadfa4093f9a04ac937e3606.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Nelson
  • Like 2

Any part # for those knobs?  They look pretty darn good.

Posted (edited)

On Amazon you can get a 2-pack of them for a few cents less than I paid at Ace hardware...well as long as you don't have to pay shipping.

Edited by Bobby Nelson