IGNORED

Colecovision and Intellivision Paddle Controller

evg2000

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've said anything regarding the paddles controllers. Here is what's been going on.

I've sold and delivered 5 Intellivision paddles, no CV controllers.

I've received feedback both through AtariAge, publicly and indirectly that it was too expensive.  Some of the feedback was basically rude, turned me off from doing anything for awhile.

I've put some time into the design, both in the case and the electronics to make it easier and quicker to build.  I've also made it more responsive on the Intellivison.  Originally I was going to offer them at a lower price, but decided that I didn't want to deal with building and selling, and potentially more negative comments.  I'm doing this for fun.  I would rather work on my next ideas.  I thought about just dropping it, but instead I've decided to open source the project.  For personally use, not to be sold for profit.

As I type this I'm printing out what I hope will be the version of the case that will be the one for this open source release.  I'm printing at 15mm, should take less than 10 hours.  The old design took around 26 hours for much lower quality printing.

Working on the BOM

I have the version 3.1 PCB, though it says 3.0.  Forgot to update it.  Version 3.0 I forgot to hook up the 5 volts, oops.  Also made some other changes that make it a better and easier to build the paddle.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I will build the new board, install in the case, write instructions, take pictures and test it.  Then I will have to figure out how to publish to Instructibles.

I'm hoping to wrap this all up within a month and people can start building controllers.

The intellivision controller only works on the intellivision.

The CV controller will work on the atari 2600, atari 7800, C64, etc. Anything that is either left/right or up/down and one fire button.

Here are a couple of picture:

IMG_6448.thumb.jpg.407a5dcccc872cb7f3d44c5e235b0452.jpg

The board is approximately 38mm x 35mm

IMG_6447.thumb.jpg.b119bf27a9c6ad05018a011f8fdb8aad.jpg

Some video, these videos are made using the prototype controller:

Atari 2600 kickman prototype:

CV Arkanoid:

Intellivision Mad Bomber:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is by Arnauld Chevallier but, yes, the Arkanoid clone is Stonix :) and it is a fanstastic game!

evg2000: very good idea to develop a rotary controller, congrats! I could be interested in buying one. Can it be connected to Inty II model only or can we have chance to use it on an Inty I?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 2:23 AM, RayXambeR said:

It is by Arnauld Chevallier but, yes, the Arkanoid clone is Stonix :) and it is a fanstastic game!

evg2000: very good idea to develop a rotary controller, congrats! I could be interested in buying one. Can it be connected to Inty II model only or can we have chance to use it on an Inty I?

I sorry, I didn't see your post.

It could be used with the Inty I.  Just need an adapter to connect to the connector on the intellivision MB.  Or add a 9 pin connector to the INTV.  I'm not selling these, they will be a DYI project.

A quick update.  I finished building a version 3.1 intellivision paddle.  I've taken photos of the build.  I need to make a change to the 3d design based on a variation of a part, just need to add a opening in the lid for a capacitor that is longer than previous versions of the component.  I also need to check on a couple of parts.  I can then create instructions and upload all of the instructions, stls, etc.  The version I built is the simplest, the top just snaps into place.  The best version requires installing some brass inserts for screws, or you can forgo the brass insert but the plastic will eventually wear out.  I've attached some pictures to see what it looks like.  The only difference between the colecovison and the intellivision version is: 1 less IC, DB9 cable hooked to the other set of 9 connections, fire button connects to a different location.

intellipaddle20200405.thumb.JPG.64290f19b8a1498676979d8ea94214e9.JPG

intellipaddleinside20200405.thumb.JPG.1737c23ba05160fae62db9ff5287c3a2.JPG

intellipaddle20200405.JPG

• Like 1

Prusa i3mk3. I mostly print with PETG. I think I have a total of around 80 or so days printing time with the machine.  I hit reset  on the counter by accident. I went with this simply design to save print time, and no supports needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started creating the documentation for building a controller.  Still have a ways to go, but at least you can see what is involved, see the BOM, and there is a link to the PCB if you wish to have them created.

Fixed the Hyperlinks

Paddle Controller.pdf

Edited by evg2000
Fixed hyperlinks
  • Thanks 3

Hello evg2000, on page 4, in the BOM, are the blue underlined text supposed to be a hyperlink to the various websites for the material? 

For me, these are just blue text that is underlined and not a link.

Just curious.

Thanks for all the hard work you are putting into this.

:wings:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Hello evg2000, on page 4, in the BOM, are the blue underlined text supposed to be a hyperlink to the various websites for the material? 

For me, these are just blue text that is underlined and not a link.

Just curious.

Thanks for all the hard work you are putting into this.

:wings:

Hey Fred, yes they are.  Maybe when I went from word to pdf they broke. I’ll try to take a look tomorrow.