IGNORED

Ebay prices bit of a joke

TGB1718

10 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

500 Dollars for an untested, unboxed, not rare game..

If that sells then I'll lose another bit of respect for the human race..

And yes, the cheek of asking for postage as well..

Much on the contrary, I would have to give kudos to that seller, for such a feat.

He's human, after all.

7 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

You do realise that humans can be quite flawed :)

It only takes one (1) really smart human to redeem (and overcome) collective dumbness.

If he ever sells that item at such extravagant price, KUDOS to him!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, griff3125 said:

I really appreciated the picture of the empty insides.

?

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, scitari said:

I have been assuming that the global recession would bring prices down. Maybe people are choosing Atari over food and rent!

The recession hasn't started yet, give it a few months

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scitari said:

I have been assuming that the global recession would bring prices down. Maybe people are choosing Atari over food and rent!

You cannot relist/resell food or rent and thereby make a profit on your original investment...

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, blacka013 said:

Gnusto,

have a look here, slightly more affordable, but still expensive for a tape in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-400-800-XL-XE-Tape-Game-Shamus-by-Americana-Synapse/324159001017?hash=item4b7961d1b9:g:VgUAAOSw6OletGBF

Regards

Check this one out then ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233490276263

• Haha 1

eBay must have changed their cost structure at some point.... as while it wasn't expensive... nobody liked paying listing fee after listing fee if an item didn't sell.... 

Now I see so much on eBay that I doubt ever sells.  I don't think eBay does much about it, as psychologically it probably had driven up prices.  And higher prices are good for eBay.

eBay is not what it once was.  While I still buy things from eBay.... I do miss the old eBay days (which was like a world wide fleak market/garage sale/etc).  Thankfully many of the things I look for don't pop up 10 tons of erroneous results from commercial 'dumpers'.

And then I hate when I buy something and receive something drop shipped from elsewhere.  Doesn't happen often (to me) thankfully.

I'm always STUNNED at these discussions.  I usually resist the urge to comment; mostly because I know that the analysis of my point-of-view will inevitably turn to the fact that I am an American, and therefore a heartless capitalist.  This time, however, I just couldn't.

Everyone, repeat after me: "The fair market price of ANYTHING is what someone is willing to pay for it."  Period.  End of story.  To rail against the injustice of this is to presume there is any justice at all in a system whereby someone's own possessions should be sold for a penny less than it can draw from a fair market.  Why, in the name of God, does the undeniable reality of these facts perpetually shock and dismay so smart a community of people!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, pixelmischief said:

I'm always STUNNED at these discussions.  I usually resist the urge to comment; mostly because I know that the analysis of my point-of-view will inevitably turn to the fact that I am an American, and therefore a heartless capitalist.  This time, however, I just couldn't.

Everyone, repeat after me: "The fair market price of ANYTHING is what someone is willing to pay for it."  Period.  End of story.  To rail against the injustice of this is to presume there is any justice at all in a system whereby someone's own possessions should be sold for a penny less than it can draw from a fair market.  Why, in the name of God, does the undeniable reality of these facts perpetually shock and dismay so smart a community of people!

While I totally agree that if a person wants to pay a stunning amount then its not a seller being greedy but I hate the trend that follows where everybody then thinks its great to put stuff up at Buy Now EPIC PRICE but its mirroring places like Facebook Market Place where people show insane prices as a bit of a joke as its down to what you offer them in the end.

Of course if I put something up I hope there's going to a feeding frenzy for it but on the rare times I have put items up I always start out as a below sensible price in the hope that at least I'll generate normal interest.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

@pixelmischief is right.  My comment was on the number of items you find on places like eBay with ridiculous prices..... that don't sell....  Maybe that might be a bit greedy if they snare an unsuspecting careless shopper.... but that is part of capitalism.  Buyer beware.

But I do wonder if these no selling auctions have a psychological impact in pricing.  "Market programming" ?

It won't make things suddenly 10x more valuable.... but for items that don't show up often, it probably does influence prices as people jump at the chance and ovepay vs if they waited.  If enough people are influenced the same way, then the ridiculous listings are causing the pricing to go up, outside of supply/demand.  That part is plain annoying.

It is what it is though.  And old Atari gear could suffer a price collapse at any time based on supply/demand/economy/interest.  Other collector markets suffer the same trends.

There are deals to be had though... there are enough marketplaces (eBay, Facebook, Craigslist, yard sale, thrift stores, etc) that if you're patient good deals come along.

12 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

@pixelmischief is right.  My comment was on the number of items you find on places like eBay with ridiculous prices..... that don't sell....  Maybe that might be a bit greedy if they snare an unsuspecting careless shopper.... but that is part of capitalism.  Buyer beware.

But I do wonder if these no selling auctions have a psychological impact in pricing.  "Market programming" ?

It won't make things suddenly 10x more valuable.... but for items that don't show up often, it probably does influence prices as people jump at the chance and ovepay vs if they waited.  If enough people are influenced the same way, then the ridiculous listings are causing the pricing to go up, outside of supply/demand.  That part is plain annoying.

It is what it is though.  And old Atari gear could suffer a price collapse at any time based on supply/demand/economy/interest.  Other collector markets suffer the same trends.

There are deals to be had though... there are enough marketplaces (eBay, Facebook, Craigslist, yard sale, thrift stores, etc) that if you're patient good deals come along.

I think you may have found their strategy, and I think it works.  Patience is keep.  And, besides, these things are really just toys.  They are not precious metals or diamonds that can be used in the upcoming Zombie New World Order. 

Non-collector’s guide to selling Atari computers via online auction

1. If it says Atari, it’s RARE. Put RARE in the auction title. Maybe put it two or three times so bidders will be sure to notice.
  2. If it says Atari, it’s VALUABLE. Don’t worry if it’s in poor condition, cracked, or not working. Even if all you have is the box (or part of the box), it’s worth money. Search online for your item and sort from high to low price. Offer yours for at least 20% higher than the highest price. If this seems like too much work, USD999.99 is always a good starting bid. If you can’t find your item in an active auction listing, it’s probably worth billions.
  3. If it says Atari, it’s IN DEMAND. Because it’s RARE (see #1), desperate collectors will fight over it. There’s no need to waste time and effort cleaning, gluing, or otherwise trying to fix it up, people will bid on it just the same. In fact, if it’s covered in dirt and looks like it came out of a landfill, people will probably pay more for it.
  4. If it says Atari, it’s INDESTRUCTABLE. No need to waste time and money on careful packaging. Throw everything into a box with a few pieces of crumpled up paper and ship it. Or, for even more cost savings, just wrap it in one sheet of bubble wrap and put a shipping label on it. If you position the shipping label just right, it can double as tape to hold the bubble wrap together.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5