IGNORED

Activision "stamp sheet"

JayAre

Attached is a picture of an Activision "stamp sheet" that I acquired from a former Activision employee.  The sheet has an adhesive on the back, and each gamebox image has a perforation around it, so that you can remove each one.  Every game is identified with "GS" and then two unique numbers.  The sheet instructs you to choose either Megamania or Pitfall, and then one from the remaining 15 games.  I thought the sheet might be from the Columbia House Video Game Club, but I don't believe the club sold Activision games.  The employee doesn't recall anything about it, and I can't find any information online.

Anyone have any ideas what this sheet was for?  Thanks.

image.thumb.png.08c04e6814c35cbb7e9c9f3bed31eae7.png

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

Thanks, Maibock.  Yeah, it's a pretty unique item.  I don't think very many of these survived.  I'm guessing stores just threw these away, when they were done with the promotion.  Luckily, a former Activision employee hung on to this one after all these years, and I was able to acquire it from her.

• 2 months later...

I came across this ad and realized that it's related to the stamp sheet I wrote about in this thread.  The ad is for GAMESTARS, a video game club from Time-Life, where you could buy Activision games in the mail.  Up to now, I thought that Columbia House and RCA were the only video game clubs for the 2600.  I had never seen Activision get involved with these types of services (e.g. Columbia House, RCA or the Gameline "online" service).  But they did with GAMESTARS, perhaps because it was backed by Time-Life.

And it looks like GAMESTARS also sold this storage folder; maybe they sold other accessories as well.

s-l1600.jpg

282-5.jpg

282-4.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, I don't recall ever hearing of Gamestars. Based on the logo and the cart selection, I wouldn't be surprised if Activision and Time Life partnered to create it. That might be why we never saw them in other mail order services. Great find.

• Like 1

That's a good point, CVGA.  Given Activision's high standards, those other clubs probably didn't make sense for them.  Or maybe the financial terms weren't appealing.  I think you're right in thinking that Activision and Time-Life partnered in this venture, especially seeing as how no other manufacturer's games were sold through the club.

I just noticed what you were referring to as far as the logo - the Activision rainbow.

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1