IGNORED

Third party controllers for 7800

bradhig1

28 minutes ago, bradhig1 said:

Are there any third party controllers from the 7800 that have two fire buttons like the normal 7800 controllers have?

Today there are Edladdin‘s wares. I‘m not aware of any period ones. 

• Like 2

Yes for the 7800.   My wicos sometimes have issues when using them on the 7800.

If your Wico has two buttons and you can solder you should be able to convert it to 7800 compatibility. You maybe need a new cable and you‘ll need a resistor.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

On 3/16/2020 at 5:46 PM, slx said:

Today there are Edladdin‘s wares. I‘m not aware of any period ones. 

www.edladdin.com

Also in the AtariAge store!

We have arcade controllers, kits for building your own, and an adapter so you can use any Sega Genesis controller with your 7800.

• Like 1

I think the only thing made bitd FOR (but not specifically for) the 7800 was the Beeshu Zoomer with the 7800 switch?

zoomer2.jpg

I have one....and of course being digital, it's pretty lame as a steering wheel. I've switched the 7800 switch on and off but I don't know if I EVER tested both buttons on a two button game.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, slx said:

I‘m not aware of any period ones. 

There was the Telegames Super Deluxe Joystick, which IIRC Best Electronics also sold as the Best Joystick. Essentially a copy of the CX24/ProLine but with an auto-fire switch and, as I understand, a weird stiff, spongy kind of action similar to a TI99/4a joystick.

telegamesjoystick.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 4300 said:

Personally,  I think the best option is the Edladdin adapter and genesis controller of your choice. 

Their custom built controllers are beauts but I completely agree. That converter+any of the many 1st and 3rd party Sega controllers (often with turbos and very nice dpads) should be option #1, #2, and #3 for new 7800 owners.

Good god don't waste time with pain lines unless you need an "authentic experience".

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 1:45 PM, GoldenWheels said:

Good god don't waste time with pain lines unless you need an "authentic experience".

And that's me...for better or for worse. ? Luckily I also have a Europad!

I've been toying with the idea of microswitch modding my ProLines but haven't gotten around to it (need to get some more switches!). They still wouldn't be perfect controllers, I'm sure, but I'm also thinking the improved action and response should still improve them by at least 1,000%. ?

• Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 2:33 AM, BassGuitari said:

And that's me...for better or for worse. ? Luckily I also have a Europad!

I've been toying with the idea of microswitch modding my ProLines but haven't gotten around to it (need to get some more switches!). They still wouldn't be perfect controllers, I'm sure, but I'm also thinking the improved action and response should still improve them by at least 1,000%. ?

I bought one with micro switches for the directionals....but not for the buttons (!). I will say, control is WAY better with micros. Quick, and the click means you never feel the need to lean on them like you have to with the dome switches, to be sure they even worked. Gonna mod the buttons one of these days myself.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's a shame there aren't more options for the 7800, I'd play mine a lot more often if the joystick wasn't so painful/I had access to better options. I've been looking to invest in a europad for awhile but just haven't gotten around to it.

21 minutes ago, Roget said:

I've been looking to invest in a europad for awhile but just haven't gotten around to it.

Don't bother spending anything more than pocket money for one unless you're looking for something official over something good. Being from PAL-Land my 7800 came with the pad and I'd rank it about equal to the Master System controller which, if you've never used one, is also not great.

In my opinion the best thing to do would be to invest in a Seagull 78 if you can which opens up the opportunity to use all the first and third party Megadrive / Genesis controllers including some neat gimmicky ones.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SmittyB said:

Don't bother spending anything more than pocket money for one unless you're looking for something official over something good. Being from PAL-Land my 7800 came with the pad and I'd rank it about equal to the Master System controller which, if you've never used one, is also not great.

I'd honestly rank ProPads below the Master System controllers because of their wiiide button spacing.

Additional DIY options are the ProNES and ProSMS adapters I designed awhile back - I used the former through most of Rikki & Vikki's development (then gave them all away) and the latter since.

I second the controllers by http://retrogameboyz.com. I ordered this one a couple of weeks ago. It feels good and controls very well. I was a bit concerned originally about how it would feel in my hand. I found it comfortable to hold in my hand while playing games. It also has rubber feet so you can set it down for table top play as well. Buttons also light up when the 7800 is powered on.

Yesterday, I ordered another one in a different color and also ordered the Robotron game pad. Mike is easy to work with and he offers 30 days return.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.41.15 AM.png

• Like 2

The RADICA Space Invaders converted joystick is my "Go-to" controller for absolute control, arcade-style (stick and buttons), with built-in arcade-style clicky switches, 2-button action controller for the 7800.  Try it.  It is easy to convert, and you'll LUV it!