IGNORED

Crystal Original Xbox

2600Ibarelyknewher

I would personally load up evolutionX on the thing, and then use the HDD to play all the games. Use FTP to transfer all the disk images.

There are some PC based tools to work with the HDD after the console unlocks it at boot that you can use to push EvoX on. I still have the toolkit floating around on one of my archives at home... I will dig later.

2 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I would personally load up evolutionX on the thing, and then use the HDD to play all the games. Use FTP to transfer all the disk images.

There are some PC based tools to work with the HDD after the console unlocks it at boot that you can use to push EvoX on. I still have the toolkit floating around on one of my archives at home... I will dig later.

For the Xbox you mean? 

Yes, it is for the XBOX's HDD.  The XBOX's HDD is just an IDE disk that has had the ATA disk lock mechanism activated. This prevents normal PCs from using it.  At boot, the drive accepts the unlock command from the console. It is possible to boot the console (with the lid off), disconnect the IDE cable (but not the power cable), attach the drive to a PC's IDE cable, and then jiggery-poke it with said tools to install evolutionX.

You would then power down the xbox, reattach the IDE cable, and restart it. BOOM-- EvolutionX starts.  Then you turn on the FTP server, and push over your xbox ISO images.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Yes, it is for the XBOX's HDD.  The XBOX's HDD is just an IDE disk that has had the ATA disk lock mechanism activated. This prevents normal PCs from using it.  At boot, the drive accepts the unlock command from the console. It is possible to boot the console (with the lid off), disconnect the IDE cable (but not the power cable), attach the drive to a PC's IDE cable, and then jiggery-poke it with said tools to install evolutionX.

You would then power down the xbox, reattach the IDE cable, and restart it. BOOM-- EvolutionX starts.  Then you turn on the FTP server, and push over your xbox ISO images.

That’s really cool, What functionality does it offer besides using games from the HDD? What adapters would I need for a modern pc? What things would I need to download? Lol sorry for all the questions 

The software runs natively on Linux, and is a bootable ISO image.  It expects real IDE, so you probably need an older computer to run it properly.

The benefit of it, is that you do not need to trick the xbox into loading a disk from the DVD drive to get evox installed with this method. 

The tool is called "XBOXHDM", and lets you build a brand new XBOX HDD essentially from scratch.

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/using-xboxhdm-updated-2019.1902/

You will likely also need the evolutionX autoinstaller.

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/slayers-evox-auto-installer-v3-3-full-and-lite-best-bios.46/

In addition to letting you run games from the HDD, it (evolution X) also enables homebrew, including emulators, old versions of XBMC, and pals.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

The software runs natively on Linux, and is a bootable ISO image.  It expects real IDE, so you probably need an older computer to run it properly.

The benefit of it, is that you do not need to trick the xbox into loading a disk from the DVD drive to get evox installed with this method. 

The tool is called "XBOXHDM", and lets you build a brand new XBOX HDD essentially from scratch.

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/using-xboxhdm-updated-2019.1902/

You will likely also need the evolutionX autoinstaller.

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/slayers-evox-auto-installer-v3-3-full-and-lite-best-bios.46/

In addition to letting you run games from the HDD, it (evolution X) also enables homebrew, including emulators, old versions of XBMC, and pals.

Dang so I’ll have to get an older computer or it’s a no go? Sad. Maby there’s a way to still boot games from the HD with a soft mod, I’ve heard Soft modding requires a copy of splinter cell.  I haven’t done any research as I’m still recovering from the failed mod chip install lol. 

Edited by 2600Ibarelyknewher

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

The version linked at seven sins is USB->IDE aware, according to the thread.  It was updated last year.

There must be an easier way by now to play games from my HDD. I mean the IDE way of doing it doesn’t sound hard I’d just have to buy and locate a bunch of stuff to do it. I thought the Xbox security  would have been completely broken by now and that would have made it easier to do overall.

Edited by 2600Ibarelyknewher

The security *IS* broken.

The deal is that each individual console has a unique HDD unlock code. This is why you have to do the jiggery-pokery with the powered on hdd and a computer to get the drive into an unlocked state, then get that unique HDD key extracted and backed up.  After that, you can just mess with the drive, or put in any other large drive you might have laying around.

When I said that the tool is USB->IDE aware, it means you can hook the xbox's HDD to a USB->IDE adapter, and the tool will find it.

When I last used the tool (BITD), it needed a real IDE controller. I used a ghetto test-bench motherboard to do the needful back then.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:25 AM, mimo said:

It's a shame that you messed up your install.

Hope the softmod goes ok, I'm planning on modding my PS3 soon ?

You inspired me to get my old broken disc drive 80gb ps3 (backwards compatible) working with a CFM. I’m now able to play ps2 ISOs with Rebug,Multiman and Webman. It was challenging but how fun it is to play call of duty big red one again lol. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 7:20 AM, wierd_w said:

The security *IS* broken.

The deal is that each individual console has a unique HDD unlock code. This is why you have to do the jiggery-pokery with the powered on hdd and a computer to get the drive into an unlocked state, then get that unique HDD key extracted and backed up.  After that, you can just mess with the drive, or put in any other large drive you might have laying around.

When I said that the tool is USB->IDE aware, it means you can hook the xbox's HDD to a USB->IDE adapter, and the tool will find it.

When I last used the tool (BITD), it needed a real IDE controller. I used a ghetto test-bench motherboard to do the needful back then.

This will be next project for sure, I’m sour after the failure of my mod chip attempt lol