IGNORED

What Is Your Opinion On Arcade Archives?

Magmavision2000

• 5 months later...

I have very few, but, that would be because of what Parker said mostly... I wouldn't like to guess how much I use them.  I'm positive I haven't got my moneys worth considering digital downloads, rentals effectively, I rate very low on the importance scale to bother with.  It has nothing to do with the games, because the few I have grabbed, maybe (likely) Sky Skipper aside, are awesome fun.

• 4 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 1:14 PM, Gemintronic said:

Bought VS Super Mario bros and Solomon's Key.  The arcade versions weren't something I played as a kid.  The price was good enough.

Capcom, on the other hand.. I *just* want to play Commando but I must buy a whole "pack" of games for $15 bucks.  No thank you!

On Capcom Stadium, you can buy individual games for $2.00 usd. I am not sure when they switched from packs only to also selling the individual games ala carte.

At $2 each it basically feels like going to the arcade. I can buy each as I want to play it. So far I only have bought the sequel to UN Squadron and I have the two free games.  I think only one game is free now.

On 2/1/2021 at 2:19 PM, Daj said:

Does anybody know for sure if Renegade includes the Japanese version (Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun)? It's just a different rom version so I would expect so but I guess I don't want to take anything for granted...

I didn’t see that anyone answered this. I don’t own Renegade or any other actual Arcade Archives releases. I do own the Konami collection that is powered by Arcade Archives. Looking at YouTube videos of the front end menus of Arcade Archives games it looked like games that include multiple regions show each region version in the front end menu. Both Renegade and Kunio Kun videos don’t show any other versions on the frontend.  I think to get arcade version of Kunio Kun you need to buy in Japan or Asia region. I was also interested in playing it since I grew up playing Renegade but wanted to try playing with the original Kunio Kun sprites.  I like River City Ransom but if these arcade games were included then I would have bought the Kunio Kun collection a long time ago. I am way more into arcade and 16 bit games compared to NES games right now. 

I will probably buy an actual Arcade Archive release eventually. The Neo Geo ACA releases have way more games on my wishlist . I have a few Sega Ages that I have purchased and more on my wishlist. I will buy some of the Capcom Beatem Ups ala carte and some other Capcom arcade games.  I thought I would miss the virtual consoles more, but I like getting the arcade stuff and I like Sega Ages more than virtual console games. I like when M2 gets to enhance a game.   Shinobi using the 8bitdo Arcade Stick is fun. I also like using the stick on shooters.

Does anyone know why Xbox and PlayStation have Ms Pac-Man but it is still missing from the Switch?  I think I remember seeing that Ms Pac Man isn’t included in most Pac Man collections anymore due to the original Crazy Otto arcade mod makers getting the contract updated for rereleases or something like that. Why would this only affect the Switch? Is the PlayStation and Xbox release older and was just grandfathered across the digital stores? I would like Ms Pac Man on the Switch. 

Edited by systemUser
Fixed part about Crazy Otto. I am not sure about it but original phrased it with too much confidence.
  • Thanks 1

Rise from your grave~

2 hours ago, systemUser said:

Capcom Stadium

I do not have that Capcom thingy, but I have done some research on it. Apparently it has emulation of inconsistent quality, as input lag apparently varies by title from what I understand, with some games being quite unresponsive, like 1941 Counter Attack, which unfortunately seems to have just under 7 frames of lag. That's unacceptable. Arcade Archives has great emulation in all instances and is worth your money.

@systemUser is right, it's back to just 1943 being the freebie, GnG was given away for like the first 30-90 days the program was online.  That is far far better asking just $2 for a game than those damned packs as you'd get stuck with unamusing filler garbage.  I'm tempted at $2 to add a few, and smart on their part given what the ACA games cost which is sort of the only real direct competition.

I could see since also loving Area88/UN Squadron going in on those and a few other arcade gems too.

• Like 1

If quality is what you are really looking for and don't mind paying premium prices for games that don't get released outside of Japan, M2 ShotTriggers is the way to go. There are no better commercially available emulated games than those. They are so good that they are better than the original arcade PCBs to the point of making the PCBs obsolete, which is an incredible achievement. I wish all companies put this level of care and respect into their releases. That takes a huge amount of skill, time, and money, though, and the prices of the ShotTriggers releases reflect that, but I am gladly paying the 7480 yen for every single entry in their new Toaplan Arcade Garage series.

Next best thing in commercially released software emulation = Arcade Archives. These don't have a lot of features and I wish they had all of the ridiculously detailed and amazing options of the M2 ShotTriggers releases, but they're still very good and the selection is amazing.

• Like 2

I wish there were some western titles in the Arcade Archives lineup. I believe everything released so far is from Japan. That makes sense, but what about Exidy, Stern, Atari, Williams, Midway, Gottlieb, early Sega, Cinematronics?

Arcade Archives already has most of the Japanese games from this list, and the Atari Flashback collection has most of the Atari games (no Battlezone since that's with Rebellion now), but in the absence of a Midway Arcade Treasures collection, seems like they're leaving money on the table by not offering Joust, Defender, Berzerk, Q*Bert (Sony now?), and the vector games from Cinematronics.

I'd pay $8 apiece for stuff like that, but looking at this thread it's clear that most people wouldn't. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I wish there were some western titles in the Arcade Archives lineup. I believe everything released so far is from Japan. That makes sense, but what about Exidy, Stern, Atari, Williams, Midway, Gottlieb, early Sega, Cinematronics?

Arcade Archives already has most of the Japanese games from this list, and the Atari Flashback collection has most of the Atari games (no Battlezone since that's with Rebellion now), but in the absence of a Midway Arcade Treasures collection, seems like they're leaving money on the table by not offering Joust, Defender, Berzerk, Q*Bert (Sony now?), and the vector games from Cinematronics.

I'd pay $8 apiece for stuff like that, but looking at this thread it's clear that most people wouldn't. 

I've been whining about Q*Bert not being available for close to 4 years now, lol.  It and Berzerk would be 'must buys' for me.

• Like 1

Totes the Goat is a fun Q-bert-like game. It's not old, but it has a retro vibe. Sony owns the Q*Bert concept for some reason now. 

Berzerk/Frenzy is so old and crude now but it would be fun to have, especially if they'd bundle in the Atari and Coleco versions. 

Every FPS game feels like Berzerk to me, coming into a room and having to shoot everyone or die trying. 

• Like 2

Arcade Q*Bert is available outside of Arcade Archives by way of being bonus content on Q*Bert Rebooted for all current mainstream gaming hardware except for the Nintendo Switch (And is also available for the PS3 and Vita). But it sadly forces diagonals on the player. 

I'm in full agreement with what Flojomojo said about classic US arcade developers. I wish Hamster would give these classics a look. Especially with their plans with Hori to offer a specialized controller for their Arcade Archives line with a LS-30 rotary stick, rotary spinner, and track-ball. Many classic American games, especially the pre-crash Atari Inc. and even the post-crash Atari Games lineup, frequently relied on controls that just don't translate well to 8-way digital control or to a modern analog stick.

So if we see an arcade stick tailored for such classics come out, it would be a shame to see many obvious candidates that stand to benefit greatly be passed over due to them ignoring western arcade heritage (Despite the western market representing a huge slice of their sales). Hopefully at least Code Mystics would be able to offer a patch to take advantage of such a controller for their excellent existing Atari compilations.

They clearly love classic arcade gaming as much as their customer base does, so at least the desire would be there to support it if their schedule allows (And if Atari SA and/or AtGames support Code Mystics issuing a patch years after release).

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 10:42 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

Rise from your grave~

I do not have that Capcom thingy, but I have done some research on it. Apparently it has emulation of inconsistent quality, as input lag apparently varies by title from what I understand, with some games being quite unresponsive, like 1941 Counter Attack, which unfortunately seems to have just under 7 frames of lag. That's unacceptable. Arcade Archives has great emulation in all instances and is worth your money.

It was pretty bad on release, but improved a TON with updates. I haven't played much 1941 but I doubt 7 frames is the current number. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be getting any more games... Capcom promised more, but it's been a long while.

I'll second what everyone said about American arcade games, but I feel like if that was going to happen it would have already. 

• Like 1

Hamster gets a new library on board from time to time, so never say never. Since last October for the most recent example, they've been busy dipping into Namco's vast catalog for new Arcade Archives releases.

I've also given up looking forward to the promised additions to Capcom Arcade Stadium. While I'm up for being pleasantly surprised if they ever do follow through, I feel like plans must've changed. DLC was announced last April, I think, and here we are 10 months later with nothing further having happened. To me that suggests those plans have sadly probably been cancelled. 

• Like 1

Maybe is sold badly so they just gave up.  I mean largely a lot of people don't care about old Capcom arcade games out of a few notables.  Even a few that should be notable, more people would probably rather deal with the NES versions like with Bionic Commando and Strider to name a couple.  Arcade wise you'll have 1942/43-Kai, the 2 GnG games, Final Fight(but it's in Belt Action), Knights of the Roud(also in that), and the SF2 franchise stuff.  All the other is fluff for old specific fans and I bet it just sold like crap.  They wanted to push packs, but even recently they gave up and started quietly peddling the games individually now for $2 a piece which to me smells of desperation.  If they can't coax $10 for a few games out of fans, maybe they'll cheaply step up to at least a $2 purchase.

• Sad 4

On 2/9/2022 at 7:36 PM, Tanooki said:

Maybe is sold badly so they just gave up.  I mean largely a lot of people don't care about old Capcom arcade games out of a few notables.  Even a few that should be notable, more people would probably rather deal with the NES versions like with Bionic Commando and Strider to name a couple.  Arcade wise you'll have 1942/43-Kai, the 2 GnG games, Final Fight(but it's in Belt Action), Knights of the Roud(also in that), and the SF2 franchise stuff.  All the other is fluff for old specific fans and I bet it just sold like crap.  They wanted to push packs, but even recently they gave up and started quietly peddling the games individually now for $2 a piece which to me smells of desperation.  If they can't coax $10 for a few games out of fans, maybe they'll cheaply step up to at least a $2 purchase.

I think you're right, but I'm hopeful.  It'd be kinda neat to see some of the CPS2/3 games that aren't in the mix. (Like Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers)

I'd also like Super Puzzle Fighter and Super Gem Fighter added :)

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 7:36 PM, Tanooki said:

iirc they announced that new games were coming shortly before it dropped on Steam and PS4, then nothing since then. So I might guess that it did fine on Switch, not so great on the other platforms. It's depressing, because (with the patches) it's maybe the best collection of its type out there, in terms of games, price, and features. That it repeats some ground they already covered on the Belt Action and Street Fighter collections might have hurt a bit.

4 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I think you're right, but I'm hopeful.  It'd be kinda neat to see some of the CPS2/3 games that aren't in the mix. (Like Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers)

Well, I wouldn't expect Capcom to sit on their old arcade games forever... so what are they going to do, drop yet another Mega Arcade Museum Whatever with 80% of the same games on Steam and Switch 2 in 10 years? I'd think it would make more sense to put some more games on this thing. But it's been an awfully long time without hearing anything. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, Daj said:

Well, I wouldn't expect Capcom to sit on their old arcade games forever... so what are they going to do, drop yet another Mega Arcade Museum Whatever with 80% of the same games on Steam and Switch 2 in 10 years? I'd think it would make more sense to put some more games on this thing. But it's been an awfully long time without hearing anything. 

Speak of the devil, Capcom Fighting Collection is coming soon, so we can all buy Street Fighter 2 and Cyberbots again (but with online play): https://www.capcom-games.com/cfc/en-us/

Probably means they'll go on with yearly redundant Mega Arcade Museum Whatevers and forget Stadium ever existed. 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:17 AM, digdugnate said:

You got your wish: Fighting Collection has all of those, plus the CPS3 Red Earth which has been a holy grail forever.

If you don't mind, please ask your genie for Steam/Switch ports of all the other Ghosts 'n' Goblins games, including the GBA port of Super GnG and the Wonderswan one and even the iPhone games. Thanks!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Daj said:

Speak of the devil, Capcom Fighting Collection is coming soon, so we can all buy Street Fighter 2 and Cyberbots again (but with online play): https://www.capcom-games.com/cfc/en-us/

Probably means they'll go on with yearly redundant Mega Arcade Museum Whatevers and forget Stadium ever existed. 

You got your wish: Fighting Collection has all of those, plus the CPS3 Red Earth which has been a holy grail forever.

If you don't mind, please ask your genie for Steam/Switch ports of all the other Ghosts 'n' Goblins games, including the GBA port of Super GnG and the Wonderswan one and even the iPhone games. Thanks!

I saw that and laughed pretty hard when i read the news.  :)  If only that were the case!

• Like 1

It's niche to say the least.  You really need to be a pretty rabid fighting game fan to care about that one, or at the least of a game or two on there depending on the overall price asked.  I've been largely burned out on the genre for over a decade or so now so I'm pretty narrow and picky on what I'd bother with still and even then I wouldn't be all that committed.  When I got the Neo Geo coming up on six years ago now I mostly avoided the genre, got a few, but just pick at them. :)

There are some fun choices though like the SF2 based set, especially the gem/puzzle fighter ones as they're a little off the wall.

• 2 weeks later...