Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Magmavision2000

What Is Your Opinion On Arcade Archives?

Recommended Posts

After contemplating whether or not I should buy it, I finally bought Sky Skipper, to be honest, I am disappointed. The steering is awkward and the hitboxes seem too big. 

 

I also created an Arcade Archives club if anyone's interested. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sale's on so I finally picked up a couple of these (Double Dragon and Metal Slug, old faves). The standard features are really nice, about as good as you could hope for a one-size-fits-all set of features for a series of arcade games.

 

...except for the save system. You get one save state slot and apparently it deletes itself when you game over? I want to pick the brain of the madman that came up with this. A lot of arcade games are unapproachable without save states to work out the trouble spots (unless you just credit feed), this is enough to make me pass on some games I was on the fence about. Frustrating.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

necro-ing this from @Magmavision2000's status update, the original arcade Burgertime is now available.

 

I spent a few minutes with it last night.  I'm not wild about how it controls in portable mode with joycons, but it's likely it's just me.  I'll check it out today with my Pro Controller.

 

Otherwise, graphics and sound are spot-on and gameplay is really nice.  :)  I'm really excited to have one of my favorite games available now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought 3 more of these making my total 13.  I'm really hoping they continue to put out early 80s titles.  I'd love to see Mr. Do! get a release.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so i've flipped my opinion on this as I'm wont to do.  😂

 

I own BurgerTime, Moon Patrol, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Metal Slug 3, and Gradius 2 now.  All the ones I've played have been really solid ports I felt like- my only two real gripes probably are the music from Frogger (I'm suspecting was a licensing thing) and the games being weird about wanting to be on the Internet. 

 

(You can sidestep this by going in airplane mode, but I would've liked an option to turn off the online component)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, digdugnate said:

All the ones I've played have been really solid ports I felt like- my only two real gripes probably are the music from Frogger (I'm suspecting was a licensing thing)

I thought the Frogger music was a traditional Japanese tune so I wonder what's up with that...

I noticed that Sunset Riders is censored. "Chief Scalpem" is renamed "Chief Wigwam" no matter which version you're playing, I think only the US version had Chief Wigwam originally. Not unexpected. More bizarrely, the Mexican boss's "die, gringo!" voice sample is replaced by "adios, amigo" (his end-of-fight quote: so now he says that twice).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm a fan, but not a huge one.  It has to be something fairly unique and fun that I'd go back to.  The only time I had like an oh crap moment and did an instant download, Technos Super Dodgeball, I used to be a master at it, used to sadly, but I can still can get some distance as the game is just unforgiving to say the least.  I did add that odd Nintendo killed arcade cabinet Sky Skipper and it's strange but alright, even played the one solitary created cabinet of it as it comes to town each year for the local arcade expo.  Then there's the VS SMB game, Mario Bros, both Punchouts, and I think that would be it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question on AA Mario Bros: Does it include the US version or just Japan?

 

I watched some YouTube footage and noticed that the first bonus stage was Phase 4, which tells me at least that video used Japan (US version's first bonus stage is Phase 3).

 

I also saw a bunch of internet articles showing people getting kill screens and maxing out the score, but the US version has no such limits and can be played forever.

 

Excited about the possibility of a first-ever "proper" home console experience for this game, but it would have to include the US version for me to get the most out of it.

 

Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 12:56 PM, Daj said:

...except for the save system. You get one save state slot and apparently it deletes itself when you game over? I want to pick the brain of the madman that came up with this. A lot of arcade games are unapproachable without save states to work out the trouble spots (unless you just credit feed), this is enough to make me pass on some games I was on the fence about. Frustrating.

It's probably due to the leaderboards. It would be way too easy to cheat. That said, they could have maybe included a separate menu option that allows of multiple reloadable save states, with the caveat being your score doesn't get put up on the leaderboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like them, although to be honest I don't own many of them...on NG releases, I have two MVS arcade cabs and a bunch of carts, so no need to double dip :P

 

Still, I've been surprised by some of the non-NG stuff that's popped up on there; by that same extension, the Sega Ages stuff is really good (I got Virtua Racer in 2019 and it's fantastic). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, rdrunner said:

Question on AA Mario Bros: Does it include the US version or just Japan?

 

I watched some YouTube footage and noticed that the first bonus stage was Phase 4, which tells me at least that video used Japan (US version's first bonus stage is Phase 3).

 

I also saw a bunch of internet articles showing people getting kill screens and maxing out the score, but the US version has no such limits and can be played forever.

 

Excited about the possibility of a first-ever "proper" home console experience for this game, but it would have to include the US version for me to get the most out of it.

 

Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks!

Arcade Archives includes both the Japanese and US orders of stages in the options menu, at least for Nintendo’s arcade stuff on the system.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since my last post here, I have bought a few ACA NEOGEO games. The games themselves are fine and they run well, but 2 things stand out to me.

 

First, there are no good scaling options and no interpolation, so you'll end up with a mess of uneven pixels and shimmering when scrolling. This is ugly and annoying as hell and I wish they'd add interpolation and/or good scaling options so the games look the way they are supposed to. You can change 2 options, size and ratio, which are not very descriptive and I don't know exactly how these scale the image other than that size makes the whole thing bigger or smaller on both axes and that ratio makes it wider or more narrow.

 

The second thing is that there is no option to play Neo Geo games in AES mode. This is also kind of annoying, especially since the AES uses the exact same ROMs as the MVS so there is literally no reason to leave AES mode out, but I can kind of forgive it since this is Arcade Archives and not Home Archives and also because you have access to the DIP switches.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, Ramses said:

It's probably due to the leaderboards. It would be way too easy to cheat. That said, they could have maybe included a separate menu option that allows of multiple reloadable save states, with the caveat being your score doesn't get put up on the leaderboard.

Ironically you can cheat because as long as you exit the game before you run out of lives, you can reload from the same spot as many times as you want. But they also include a "high score" mode with separate leaderboards which disables saving, but also disables pausing and rapid fire, which seems like overkill.

 

The Sega Ages series handles it very cleanly: if you change the settings or load from a save state, your score goes on the "freestyle" leaderboard, otherwise it goes on the main one. They also give you ten save state slots plus a level select. Honestly of all the arcade re-releases on Switch I've seen, only Sega Ages really gets everything 100% right. Arcade Archives series ends up looking ok because there's some really bad stuff to compare it to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Daj said:

Ironically you can cheat because as long as you exit the game before you run out of lives, you can reload from the same spot as many times as you want. But they also include a "high score" mode with separate leaderboards which disables saving, 

That never occurred to me. Wondered about all those insane scores (duh!!).  Guess I'll be mostly playing in high score mode from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 1:16 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

The second thing is that there is no option to play Neo Geo games in AES mode. This is also kind of annoying, especially since the AES uses the exact same ROMs as the MVS so there is literally no reason to leave AES mode out, but I can kind of forgive it since this is Arcade Archives and not Home Archives and also because you have access to the DIP switches.

Well that IS the reason why.  AES mode just isn't fun, and ultimately to be fair, it's also for masochists and those who like having their games at times censored a bit.  There's no benefit at all to running AES mode and given it is the Arcade Archives it doesn't fit so it's actually a good thing.  If you wanted it to be AES nasty, all you need to do is find out how many quarter credits AES mode on various games will allow, and show restraint and stop there and record your high score and start over.  I mean I'd never do it, too aggravating since most the games are designed to be quarter sucking banshees, so I go with free play mode. :)  That said I keep my MVS on LV4(default) no reason to wimp out at LV1 or rage over LV8 which can get super insane.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well that IS the reason why.  AES mode just isn't fun, and ultimately to be fair, it's also for masochists and those who like having their games at times censored a bit.  There's no benefit at all to running AES mode and given it is the Arcade Archives it doesn't fit so it's actually a good thing.  If you wanted it to be AES nasty, all you need to do is find out how many quarter credits AES mode on various games will allow, and show restraint and stop there and record your high score and start over.  I mean I'd never do it, too aggravating since most the games are designed to be quarter sucking banshees, so I go with free play mode. :)  That said I keep my MVS on LV4(default) no reason to wimp out at LV1 or rage over LV8 which can get super insane.

There is absolutely a benefit to AES mode in some cases, specifically that it offers training mode for some fighting games, which is not available in MVS mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much of a consolation, in that case, if you really have no idea what's up, then that would be the one time I'd say set your MVS to Lv1 difficulty and they're more or less low responsive, but not standing target stupid training drones.  Just look up the moves, write them down if need be, set to Lv1 and go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Not much of a consolation, in that case, if you really have no idea what's up, then that would be the one time I'd say set your MVS to Lv1 difficulty and they're more or less low responsive, but not standing target stupid training drones.  Just look up the moves, write them down if need be, set to Lv1 and go for it.

Yeah, that and that there are a few other games, like Magician Lord, which are apparently slightly different on AES and MVS, but I have not tried Magician Lord in MVS mode yet. Still, I pretty much need the training mode REALLY badly, as I struggle to make it past the 3rd or 4th characters on AES modes' easiest difficulty settings on any fighting game and can't beat any fighting game on the Neo Geo at all, so having an actual training mode helps a lot. Then again, you can also just play multiplayer alone and use that as training mode. I do wonder if MVS level 1 is easier than the easiest difficulty on the AES, so I might try to find out eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magician Lord as far as I know stands alone and this is why:

1. MVS has longer invulnerability times upon gaining control of Elta. This makes sense in the arcades because Elta respawns from where he last died. Whereas the AES version makes you start the stage or guardian boss fight over again. In terms of speedrunning, this helps during some of the guardian boss fights

2. AES version has more health, allowing the possibility of damage shortcuts. There's a shortcut in the first level that saves about 10 seconds, which can't be taken advantage of in the MVS (using stock arcade settings) version.

3. Has an intro sequence on AES which is unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were $3.50 I would own a quarter of them. If they were $2, I would probably own half. $8 each is just not gonna happen. The Switch game launcher is already too crowded and hard to use, too, and I actively avoid picking stuff up because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know for sure if Renegade includes the Japanese version (Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun)? It's just a different rom version so I would expect so but I guess I don't want to take anything for granted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought VS Super Mario bros and Solomon's Key.  The arcade versions weren't something I played as a kid.  The price was good enough.

 

Capcom, on the other hand.. I *just* want to play Commando but I must buy a whole "pack" of games for $15 bucks.  No thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...