Jump to content
Shift838

IDE Card Group Buy ?

Recommended Posts

I got the board.  Looks like the new postmaster general is really making a difference.

It only took 1.5 months to get from Texas to the great white north. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TheBF said:

It only took 1.5 months to get from Texas to the great white north.

🎶 If I didn't need to work I wouldn't be here, I'd be back home on the Last Frontier. 🎶

 

Okay, so technically not Canadiastani, but still pretty close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

🎶 If I didn't need to work I wouldn't be here, I'd be back home on the Last Frontier. 🎶

 

Okay, so technically not Canadiastani, but still pretty close.

Ya. I am way out there in the middle of nowhere, a 60 minute drive from Port Huron Mi.  :) 

(Ok so maybe Port Huron is not NY City but hey. It's USA)

 

Question:  Where do I find the latest DSR and loader program for this beautiful blue play toy that I have here?

 

Answer: I found Fred's site and downloaded V14.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news... I powered up the card and looked at the DSR RAM in Forth.

Works fine. Filled it up with data and erased it etc from the command line.

 

I noticed that the 5V heat sink runs really hot. (I took it off and reinstalled it with some heat sink compound just to maximize heat transfer)

 

Build a floppy disk with the DSR and loader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TheBF said:

Ya. I am way out there in the middle of nowhere, a 60 minute drive from Port Huron Mi.  :) 

(Ok so maybe Port Huron is not NY City but hey. It's USA)

 

Question:  Where do I find the latest DSR and loader program for this beautiful blue play toy that I have here?

 

Answer: I found Fred's site and downloaded V14.

 

Latest DSR can be obtained from Fred's site.

 

http://www.ti99-geek.nl/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shift838 said:

Latest DSR can be obtained from Fred's site.

 

http://www.ti99-geek.nl/

 

 

Thanks Chris.  I found it and ran the IDELOAD progam. Got all passes so good work by you.

 

I have an old 80Gb IDE drive that I know works cuz I put Linux mint on it for fun.

 

Should I be able to run CALL IDEST in BASIC with no drive connected but the board loaded?

Neither E/A BASIC nor XBASIC can find the sub-program.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you load the DSR you should be able to do a CALL IDEST

 

You do not need a drive hooked up to run the command.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I have done something wrong then.

Did a full restart and same result. 

 

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you running my 838 clock module or the standard BQ4847 ?  I don't recall if you purchased both..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shift838 said:

are you running my 838 clock module or the standard BQ4847 ?  I don't recall if you purchased both..

 

 

BQ4847.

 

I just went to reload the DSR and I tried to set the clock. It said the DSR was not loaded so the RAM did not retain the load.

I will try it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it should not be.  They were all brand new.  of course old stock.

 

So if you have voltmeter.

 

Vout is pin #1

ground is pin #14

 

check to see if you are getting 3v between those 2 pins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shift838 said:

it should not be.  They were all brand new.  of course old stock.

 

So if you have voltmeter.

 

Vout is pin #1

ground is pin #14

 

check to see if you are getting 3v between those 2 pins.

OK thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Wish I had a board extender. :)

 

If you mean PEB board extender, I have one that admittedly I've never used. PM me, I'm sure we can work out a deal. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just  to confirm that the card is loaded from another piece of S/W, here is a memory dump from Forth without shutting off the PEB.

Looks like a DSR header to me.

 

Working on volts...

 

ide card dsr header.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the socket it slowly crawls up to 2.74 volts with a 40Mohm meter. (If memory serves)

 

In socket it drops to 2V.

It seems like something loading the chip on the board. ?

 

Edit: Pin 1 to Pin 14 show 268K ohms with the chip removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the schematic is accurate it looks like Vout is powering U23 all the time.

That doesn't sound right.  The battery RAM would normally not power anything external would it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the battery does power the SRAM (U23) constantly as that is where your DSR is loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.  Now I get it.  I thought the clock had SRAM built in.

 

So I suppose I could hay wire a 3V battery onto the board and solve the problem.

Or should I just get one of your clock boards?

 

(gotta run for the evening)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you wire a battery on it then you will also need a diode or a FET in series with the battery to help ensure to protect the battery from getting a surge of power and exploding.  At least that's how I understand it.

 

Be safe.. Buy my board!  😁

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to do more testing, but have the same issue with the first card I tested. 

DSR needs to be loaded again when I turn off the PEB overnight.

Guess the battery in the BQ is half-dead.

 

It’s not a very big deal as loading the DSR goes real quick with Fred’s FGROM IDE loader cartrdige image. 

But obviously it means I need to set the time again as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 9:03 AM, retroclouds said:

Have to do more testing, but have the same issue with the first card I tested. 

DSR needs to be loaded again when I turn off the PEB overnight.

Guess the battery in the BQ is half-dead.

 

It’s not a very big deal as loading the DSR goes real quick with Fred’s FGROM IDE loader cartrdige image. 

But obviously it means I need to set the time again as well.

 

The BQ clock ship seems to have died and is no longer recognized, rendering the IDE card useless. Not a good day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...