IGNORED

Meteoric shower colecovision

RetroGameHero

The box looks pretty new, so I have to wonder if it's a repro. I believe it was the guys over at CollectorVision who produced repro boxes for the Bit Corp games several years ago. The first question to ask is if their repros have German text on the back.

• Thanks 1

I have the repro boxes from CollectorVision and can confirm that they do have the German text on the back.  There is nothing on the box to indicate that is a repro.  From the looks of the box in the photo it too looks like the repro as it's in such good condition.  One sure way to tell is the insert in the box that holds the cartridge.  If it's shaped styrene then that's the CollectroVision repro.  If in doubt post a picture of the insert and I can give a definitive answer.

Edited by Ikrananka

Late with this response, it is a CollectorVision reproduction. They did a great job with their reproduction but there are numerous ways to determine if it's authentic bersus a reproduction.

- the card stock used by BIT is at least double the thickness

- the cart holder inside the box

- the cart shell used

- the orientation of the cart label (some repros correct the orientation so that it is not upside down when inserted)

- use your nose as 35+ year old card stock will most likely smell (mine did) compared to newer card stock

Meteoric Shower, Cosmic Crisis and Tank Wars where indeed released in CIB form by BIT. All 3 and Strike It! have had reproductions made.

Here are pics of authentic copies of Meteoric Shower and Tank Wars that I acquired from an Italian collector along with Tank Wars and Cosmic Crisis that I acquired from someone in Germany IIRC. They have all since found a new home.

COLECOVISION METEORIC SHOWER FRONT.JPG

COLECOVISION METEORIC SHOWER BACK.JPG

Tank Wars (EUR).jpg

Cosmic Crisis - CIB #01.jpg

Cosmic Crisis - CIB #02.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NIAD said:

Late with this response, it is a CollectorVision reproduction. They did a great job with their reproduction but there are numerous ways to determine if it's authentic bersus a reproduction.

- the card stock used by BIT is at least double the thickness

- the cart holder inside the box

- the cart shell used

- the orientation of the cart label (some repros correct the orientation so that it is not upside down when inserted)

- use your nose as 35+ year old card stock will most likely smell (mine did) compared to newer card stock

Meteoric Shower, Cosmic Crisis and Tank Wars where indeed released in CIB form by BIT. All 3 and Strike It! have had reproductions made.

Here are pics of authentic copies of Meteoric Shower and Tank Wars that I acquired from an Italian collector along with Tank Wars and Cosmic Crisis that I acquired from someone in Germany IIRC. They have all since found a new home.

COLECOVISION METEORIC SHOWER FRONT.JPG

COLECOVISION METEORIC SHOWER BACK.JPG

Tank Wars (EUR).jpg

Cosmic Crisis - CIB #01.jpg

Cosmic Crisis - CIB #02.jpg

I also received tank wars in the collection I purchased.  It’s very clear this is a repro since the cover art is slightly blurry and just feels like a newer box.  Still excited to have it since it seems to be almost impossible to find either original or as a repro.

I also got some other really interesting homebrew games which you might appreciate

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/22/2020 at 1:50 PM, NIAD said:

As far as I know re. authentic CIB copies of Bit titles, there are:

- 3 Meteoric Shower

- 2 Cosmic Crisis (1 clamshell style)

- 1 Tank Wars

- 0 Strike It! (have a Bit advertisement with it pictured, but never heard that anyone owns one)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124220968206

Thoughts on this copy? I have a similar one acquired a few years ago though better condition. Same green clamshell bw cover. Bootleg?

21 minutes ago, Sorn said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124220968206

Thoughts on this copy? I have a similar one acquired a few years ago though better condition. Same green clamshell bw cover. Bootleg?

That is not an original Bit Corp. release which would have been made circa 1984, it is the Telegames re-release. Here is a picture of the original releases made by Bit Corp. and still no one has found or come forward re owning Strike It.

Also note that Retroillucid and perhaps others have made very good reproductions/bootlegs of all four Bit Corp. releases for the ColecoVision. They are very well made and tough to distinguish from the original with the card stock used for the box being the dead give away... Bit Corp. used an extra thick card stock.

Bit Corp. ColecoVision & Atari 2600 Games and Dist Info.jpg

Edited by NIAD