IGNORED

Question About Expansion Module 1

LaserCat

I was considering purchasing one of these in lieu of an actual Atari console. Is there any downside to this device vs purchasing an actual 2600? Is it compatible with the Starpath Supercharger? Will my Colecovision's composite mod interfere with the operation of the Module? I haven't played any VCS games since the 80s and this seems like convenient way to test those waters again.

I think the biggest initial issue with using the supercharger with expansion module #1 will be its fit. I'm near certain that the supercharger belongs to the class of atari 2600 cartridges that the expansion module cannot physically accommodate without use of coleco's port extender or similar workaround. If you cannot dock the supercharger, all other concerns are mooted.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, mumbai said:

I think the biggest initial issue with using the supercharger with expansion module #1 will be its fit. I'm near certain that the supercharger belongs to the class of atari 2600 cartridges that the expansion module cannot physically accommodate without use of coleco's port extender or similar workaround. If you cannot dock the supercharger, all other concerns are mooted.

Yup, Supercharger does not fit. I speak from experience. :(

14 minutes ago, NIAD said:

For SuperCharger titles and a couple other odd-ball cart shells...

I recall from the last time I ran through a variety of 2600 titles on the expansion, before resorting to the port extender, that a greater number of carts than expected were either no-go's or frightfully tight fits, even among more mainline constructions (e.g., the '86 Atari Corp. and Activision carts were incredibly cramped, if my hand-scribbled notes are to be trusted).

I do not know what Coleco was thinking, though I presume most, if not all, physically incompatible cartridges had yet to be released ... though that doesn't excuse hewing more closely to Atari's port design and avoiding the headache of issuing an extender.

Edited by mumbai
punctuation