IGNORED

PEB Disk emulator - current best choice?

tater1337

21 minutes ago, tater1337 said:

my PEB had a floppy drive, but it isn't working correctly, 

I was thinking of getting a disk emulator anyway

Lotherek  and Gotek are the choices in the FAQ, any updates, comments, recommendations?

The Lotharek is more expensive, but it comes "ready to go" and already has a useful LCD display.  It can also function as TWO drives at the same time.  Depending on whom you purchase it from, you MAY also have to re-program the Gotek to get it to work properly.  If you want a useful display, that is also additional money, and you'll have to jury-rig a way to attach it to the TI. 

Since you solicited opinions, I would recommend the Lotharek, because in the end, you only get what you pay for.   I've been really happy with mine.,

Familiarize yourself with .dsk to .hfe conversion as the gotek and Lotherek do not function directly with .dsk files on TI. Which is to say it’s not a simple drag-and-drop. On the Atari ST my GoTek directly reads/writes to Atari .dsk files. Not so with the TI. Someone here may be able to explain why...

For this reason I prefer the nanoPEB and TiPi for disk emulation.

1 minute ago, Airshack said:

Familiarize yourself with .dsk to .hfe conversion as the gotek and Lotherek do not function directly with .dsk files on TI. Which is to say it’s not a simple drag-and-drop. On the Atari ST my GoTek directly reads/writes to Atari .dsk files. Not so with the TI. Someone here may be able to explain why...

I thought  the newest updates to Lotherek did allow dsk access.

Actually with flashfloppy firmware the gotek does work directly with dsk files. And it's FREE/open source while lotherek charges for their firmware..  Flashfloppy is updated pretty much 2-3 times a month and new features are added all the time.. flashfloppy.com for more info. 

Oh and also if you REALLY want to run lotherek's firmware you can pay 10$ to install it on your gotek. And have less features for more money. 

Also the gotek hardware is about 29$ for the drive + parts to add the features you want. You'll need a A-A usb cable or a usb programmer to flash it.. 

I sell gotek drives already flashed with flashfloppy with or without the oled display, rotary encoder and speaker for sound that are pretty much identical sw wise to the more expensive ones but have more features. The only thing Gotek's with flashfloppy or lotherek's firmware don't do is the lotherek second drive feature which I personally have never used with my lotherek drive..

Since getting a TIPI I haven't used either drive on my 4/a. there's no need.. 

Greg

9 minutes ago, Airshack said:

His question was about disk emulators only, so my answer strictly addressed that aspect.  But yes, I agree, for 99% of things, I'd say go with a TIPI, you don't even need a floppy drive controller.  The TIPI essentially emulates both disk drives and hard drives.  There are only a few little used programs floating around out there that REQUIRE themselves to be in DSK format.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

Actually with flashfloppy firmware the gotek does work directly with dsk files. And it's FREE/open source while lotherek charges for their firmware..  Flashfloppy is updated pretty much 2-3 times a month and new features are added all the time.. flashfloppy.com for more info. 

Oh and also if you REALLY want to run lotherek's firmware you can pay 10$ to install it on your gotek. And have less features for more money. 

Also the gotek hardware is about 29$ for the drive + parts to add the features you want. You'll need a A-A usb cable or a usb programmer to flash it.. 

I sell gotek drives already flashed with flashfloppy with or without the oled display, rotary encoder and speaker for sound that are pretty much identical sw wise to the more expensive ones but have more features. The only thing Gotek's with flashfloppy or lotherek's firmware don't do is the lotherek second drive feature which I personally have never used with my lotherek drive..

Since getting a TIPI I haven't used either drive on my 4/a. there's no need.. 

Greg

Yes, I agree.  My only problem with the Gotek and Flashfloppy was DS, as I wanted to use DSDD 80 track capacity, as most of my floppies (not originals from TI vendors) are DSDD 80 track.

Just to remind everyone, I added HFE support to TIImageTool some years ago, and it seems to work without problems. It opens HFE files just like any DSK file. Conversion from DSK to HFE is done by copying files from a HFE to a DSK image and back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Just to remind everyone, I added HFE support to TIImageTool some years ago, and it seems to work without problems. It opens HFE files just like any DSK file. Conversion from DSK to HFE is done by copying files from a HFE to a DSK image and back.

This is very useful and I am extremely grateful for your utility. That said, I’d like to be able to read/write to drag-n-drop’d .dsk files on my Lotherek’s SD —seamlessly. No workarounds.  

On 3/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, mizapf said:

The same is true for xdt99, in case you prefer the command line.

• Like 1