IGNORED

Wolfenstein 3d in-game music

EddieHitler

Here’s a weird one - 

I’ve just got a copy of Wolfenstein 3d for the Jaguar in the mail from eBay. It boots up no problem and everything seems to run fine - one problem no music, not on the menu screen, not on the briefing screen and not in game. Now I know from emulating and YouTube videos Jag Wolf isn’t “Silent Wolf” like Doom, so what’s going on here? I can see from the overlay that there is a musical note over the 0 numerical key, but this just seems to toggle sound effects (which are there, gunshots and screams) on and off. I can’t seem to find an options menu of any kind with sound settings.

Just trying to work out if I have a bad cart that needs to go back (would be a shame as it’s a beautiful copy) or if I’m doing something stupid. I’m tempted to try cleaning the contacts with isopropyl, but don’t want to give the seller any outs for not taking the return. 

By the way it’s a PAL version of the game if that makes any difference... I’m hoping Atari didn’t go “Screw those Europeans, they ain’t getting no music!” 

Edited by EddieHitler

Another place to check is while in-game, press pause, and then the A Button.  This will reveal a volume slider for music.  Pressing B will reveal a volume slider for SFX.  There are quite a few official game releases that follow this convention. I thought I had a copy of Iron Soldier with no music, turned out to be the in-game volume option had been turned all the way down.

These volume settings are often saved to EEPROM, and are persistent between power cycles.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lachoneus said:

Another place to check is while in-game, press pause, and then the A Button.  This will reveal a volume slider for music.  Pressing B will reveal a volume slider for SFX.  There are quite a few official game releases that follow this convention. I thought I had a copy of Iron Soldier with no music, turned out to be the in-game volume option had been turned all the way down.

These volume settings are often saved to EEPROM, and are persistent between power cycles.

Yeah found it by fiddling about :) I was just about to delete this topic, the previous owner mustn’t have liked the music and had turned it right down. 

I had this happen with my copy of Tempest 2k. I had apparently turned the music way down for some reason years ago and then later thought something was wrong with my game or the jag. I was semi embarrased when I happen to pause the game and find the volume option turned down... 

45 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I had this happen with my copy of Tempest 2k. I had apparently turned the music way down for some reason years ago and then later thought something was wrong with my game or the jag. I was semi embarrased when I happen to pause the game and find the volume option turned down... 

Glad it wasn’t just me ? I was sat pressing buttons in the startup menu for ages trying to find the sound set up button.

12 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

Cybermorph is like this as well. I too thought my copy was defective, but later found out through research that the volume slider for music was turned down. 

They put a slider bar in that game for music, when the only music it has is on the menu screen?  Seems like it would have been less work to just make some more music.

4 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

They put a slider bar in that game for music, when the only music it has is on the menu screen?  Seems like it would have been less work to just make some more music.

Ha, no I'm just being stupid. I was wrong, they have a volume slider bar for the dialogue (floating green head). 

Just played through the game to the end today, found the secret level on mission 6 and that has some hella strange random music, I was tempted to put the volume slider the other way again! Great game though enjoyed that, the DOS version is a bit of a slog to me these days (I tend to fire up Spear of Destiny more now) but this kept me playing all day. 

By the way RREDDWARFF I’m a huge fan - What are we going to do with them Mr Flibble? ?

• Like 1