IGNORED

Non destructive Heavy Sixer video mod?

towmater

I'm Googled out... does anyone know of a video mod for 2600's that does not require removal/cutting of existing components? I'm imagining a circuit board that plugs into the Tia Maria chip and intercepts the video while simply not continuing the output to the existing modulator circuitry.

The UAV doesn't require removing any components from the main board far as I know. I know it doesn't require it on the 7800 or 5200. I believe you just have to tap the needed LUM and sync signals off the main board and feed them to the UAV. It has its own encoder to output separately. Can even keep the RF intact and working that way if you wanted.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-2600/products/tba-ultimate-atari-video-uav-board-for-atari-2600

On 3/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

The UAV doesn't require removing any components from the main board far as I know. I know it doesn't require it on the 7800 or 5200. I believe you just have to tap the needed LUM and sync signals off the main board and feed them to the UAV. It has its own encoder to output separately. Can even keep the RF intact and working that way if you wanted.

It was fairly straightforward, although I had to bypass their color signal and attach directly to the motherboard, as seen here on the bottom. I'm assuming it doesn't really make a difference.  Any ideas from where to tap audio?

2020-03-25 15.30.51.jpg

Edited by towmater

Any mod can be non-destructive. Just depends on how you choose to do the work. Desoldering and lifting out parts instead of cutting them permanently. Executed with a bit of thought, every mod can be undone and the unit returned to stock.

I hate that mod where they tell you to cut out the RF modulator and break off the connector. Just desolder it instead!!

On 3/25/2020 at 6:32 PM, towmater said:

Meanwhile, I've tried a 24MB and a 1GB card formatted as Fat12, Fat16, and Fat32, but I always only get this error on the Harmony. Any suggestions are welcome!

2020-03-25 16.59.10.jpg

Try checking to make sure you have only one partition on the SD card. If you've previously used it for other purposes (e.g Raspberry PI, etc.) you might have some other partitions on the card.

You can check for the partitions in Windows by going to the Administrative tools/Computer Management application. 

image.thumb.png.47ccf6dd8360aa240166773447c596fc.png

• 1 month later...

I'm planning on a 7pin Svideo Size jack that's through Hole. It's the same diameter as the RF jack.  I can add Svideo, Composite, Ground, And Stereo out on it. I'm also building 2 custom cables for it. I'll be my own system I do this to. ;)  I was hoping to find a Sega rev 2 jack that was though hole, but I can't find any beyond PCB mount styles. It's a more common standard that would allow any assortment of cable purchases if another is ever needed, vs repairing a failed cable in the future.

This project is only in the planning stages, so I don't have any examples to share. :(