IGNORED

RespeQt 5.2 and new Repository

ebiguy

2 hours ago, atarixle said:

I'd like to test it ... but none of my 14 Macs runs a newer system than Mac OS X 10.11 ... 10.13 is needed.

I was wondering about that.  I didn't do anything about minimum version requirements when I built the binary - just used the defaults.  Can you tell me if the old binary that I posted a link to in the previous page works on older Mac OS versions?  I'm not sure how to tell without installing an older MacOS version in a VM.

8 minutes ago, jamm said:

Never mind.  I see that Qt5 has a minimum MacOS version requirement of 10.13, and that's also the default build target.  So it's not possible to build a Qt5 Mac binary that supports older versions of MacOS than 10.13.

Well, I used to do it 4+ years ago - I was the first one to build OS X binaries for RespeQt when Joey forked AspeQt and started development. You need to use an earlier version of Qt5, however. Last I checked, you can still download and install earlier versions of Qt from their site, but you may have to dig around to find them.

There are a number of downsides to this, however, not the least of which is the fact that Qt development libraries are pretty damn big - many tens of gigabytes - and it's a real pain to download a bunch of separate ones and maintain independent build environments and targets.

Yes, I was surprised to see how big the dev kit download was.

I don't mind making a build for older machines, but I haven't seen much demand for Mac builds to begin with, and use with OS builds older than 10.13 would have to be lower still.  (Plus, will the dev kits that target versions older than 10.13 work on Catalina (10.15), which is what I'm using these days?)

I'll leave it as-is for now and reconsider if there are people who would actually like to use RespeQt on MacOS < 10.13

I mean, I am a Mac user from the heart, as I love Mac OS X (and Steve Jobs worked for Atari, but this is another story for history-class).

But my Macs are running either Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan (the few machines I barely use), or 10.7.5 Lion.

My El Capitan-Machines mostly are stored in the closet (MacBook5,2), my MacBook Pro stands right next to my Linux-powered Acer Aspire One. Here the Acer actually serves as my RespeQt-machine.

My line-up of Lion-MacBooks (MacBook2,1 ... 4,1), as well as my 32-bit-Snow Leopard machne (MacBook1,1), dual-boot with Linux anyway.

Oh, and I also have got some Tiger- and Leopard-Machines, which are PowerPCs. As I also own a licence of SIO2OSX, I wont be the most loyal customer of RespeQt for the Mac.

On the other hand, Mathy will be very, very thankful if you build a Mac Version. As I know, he owns a modern Mac which runs at least 10.13 or higher. So does skr. We have some Mac users here, but they are not very active here in this very developer forum.

What I can do is spread the news about the Mac version in the ABBUC-Forum, so we gether some testers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, atarixle said:

What I can do is spread the news about the Mac version in the ABBUC-Forum, so we gether some testers.

Please do so.

When you said that the printer emulation did crash, could you give me the configuration of RespeQt:

- Options dialog then Passthru settings, what did you select in Raw output device?

- Printer widget, what kind of printer did you select and what kind of output?

If you tried several ones, let me know.

Also, did someone test the SVG output. I can not make it work either. Anyone knows if it has worked in the past?

FYI: I just tried the debian 9 variant in debian 10. It seems to work. I guess it will also work in Ubuntu 18.04. So I will update smaller steps in debian 9 only. These binaries will be testet in Ubuntu 18.04 and debian 10. If they work, I wont build extra Ubuntu 18.04 or debian 10 variants.

Hello guys

I'm usually running the latest public beta of MacOS.  I have downloaded version 5.3 and started it.  Since there are better testers than me, I only opened it and didn't do anything else.  But it seems to work with MacOS 10.15.4.

Sincerely

Mathy

9 hours ago, atarixle said:

I mean, I am a Mac user from the heart, as I love Mac OS X (and Steve Jobs worked for Atari, but this is another story for history-class).

But my Macs are running either Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan (the few machines I barely use), or 10.7.5 Lion.

My El Capitan-Machines mostly are stored in the closet (MacBook5,2), my MacBook Pro stands right next to my Linux-powered Acer Aspire One. Here the Acer actually serves as my RespeQt-machine.

My line-up of Lion-MacBooks (MacBook2,1 ... 4,1), as well as my 32-bit-Snow Leopard machne (MacBook1,1), dual-boot with Linux anyway.

Oh, and I also have got some Tiger- and Leopard-Machines, which are PowerPCs. As I also own a licence of SIO2OSX, I wont be the most loyal customer of RespeQt for the Mac.

On the other hand, Mathy will be very, very thankful if you build a Mac Version. As I know, he owns a modern Mac which runs at least 10.13 or higher. So does skr. We have some Mac users here, but they are not very active here in this very developer forum.

Ok, so building in the older Qt version might not be as difficult as I thought it would be.  Here's a version built with Qt 5.9.9, which supports MacOS 10.10 - 10.12.  Try it out and let me know if that works.  This is only a ZIP of the app - please download the ZIP @ebiguy posted earlier to download all files in the archive.

RespeQt r5.3 Qt5.9.9.zip

On 3/20/2020 at 7:21 PM, ebiguy said:

Hi RespeQt users.

A new stable version has been released. Version 5.2

The latest addition is a SIO auto-reconnect feature.

The Super Archiver compatibility has also been improved.

The Windows binaries are here:

For Windows 32bits: https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt/releases/download/r5.2/RespeQt-r5.2-32bits.zip

For Windows 64bits: https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt/releases/download/r5.2/RespeQt-r5.2-64bits.zip

IMPORTANT: for all contributors:

@TheMontezuma has given his GitHub RespeQt account to me.

I migrated the repository from my personal account (ebiguy) to this new account (respeqt).

The main benefit is that I can now merge the develop branch into master and attach binaries to it.

IMPORTANT: It means that I will no longer accept pull request on the ebiguy repository.

Please fork the https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt.git if you want to contribute and make pull request from this new repository.

If you see any problem with this migration, please tell me.

I will probably delete the repository from my ebiguy account in a couple of weeks so that no more pull request is emitted.

Lots of activity on the Respeqt development.  Good to see.  I also see my thread on my 64 bit release was deleted and my build merged into this new git.?  Not sure what's going on with that.   Interesting.  

2 minutes ago, 13Leader said:

I also see my thread on my 64 bit release was deleted and my build merged into this new git.?

Nice to see you back here.

Hope the health is good !

I am not sure what you mean by "release was deleted".

Which release from where?

Only two things happened:

- 3 threads on AtariAge were locked (but NOT deleted)

- I deleted my repository (ebiguy's RespeQt) to switch to a repository of a new account (RespeQt's RespeQt).

If you need more information, please ask me in PM, I will be glad to help.

Just compiled r5.3 on Catalina and it appears to work well (although I haven't tested it much yet). The main reason I compiled it from source is because the macOS distributable was running the menu inside the application window. So did the version I compiled, oddly enough, despite the fact the menu bar's NativeMenuBar property was set to 1. Interestingly, toggling it and rebuilding a few times resulted in a version which put the full menu bar at the top of the screen. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, the next thing it is worked on is the printer emulation.

On the ABBUC-Forum, I opened a thread about this all (seems to be offline in this very minute).

In the reacting posts, one told me "I think I found the error", so may be 5.4 may get a working printer emulation.

But more when the ABBUC-Server is up again.

1 minute ago, atarixle said:

Yeah, the next thing it is worked on is the printer emulation.

On the ABBUC-Forum, I opened a thread about this all (seems to be offline in this very minute).

In the reacting posts, one told me "I think I found the error", so may be 5.4 may get a working printer emulation.

But more when the ABBUC-Server is up again.

I already fixed the crash in my configuration (1020/Text and 1020/SVG) but the 1020 emulation needs a rewrite because the emulation is not accurate.

Sample programs from the 1020 master diskette simply do not work at all.

I am working on it but it will not get out immediately as it takes time (I have only the week-end free for that).

And oddly, now that I fixed SVG output, I get an SVG output file which seems OK (I am not an SVG expert) but it displays nothing with a couple SVG viewers I tried including online SVG viewers.

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

the full menu bar at the top of the screen

Is it the normal layout for Mac users.

If yes, we should change the default value in the project for further build.

Which MacOS version does your compiled version work on?

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Just compiled r5.3 on Catalina and it appears to work well (although I haven't tested it much yet). The main reason I compiled it from source is because the macOS distributable was running the menu inside the application window. So did the version I compiled, oddly enough, despite the fact the menu bar's NativeMenuBar property was set to 1. Interestingly, toggling it and rebuilding a few times resulted in a version which put the full menu bar at the top of the screen. :)

Funny, I never noticed that.  Even the last version posted Feb 13, 2019 had the same issue.

I for myself am very interested in the 1029-printer-emulation.

As I own two of these, my very own BOSS-X-System offers some hidden 1029-printer-output-functions (proportional text, pictures)

At the moment, JoSch (ABBUC-Forum) is working on the 1029 printer emulation. I hope we succied.

12 minutes ago, ebiguy said:

Is it the normal layout for Mac users.

Yes: 'native' macOS applications have their menus along the top of the screen.

13 minutes ago, ebiguy said:

If yes, we should change the default value in the project for further build.

Odd thing is - as mentioned - is that NativeMenuBar already had the correct value, but didn't work at first. I set it to 0, built the project, then set it to 1 again... then the menu was in the proper place.

14 minutes ago, ebiguy said:

Which MacOS version does your compiled version work on?

the hidden features should be accessible to all, I forget which printer had the prom updated mid manufacture that added Atascii graphics to the printer... but I think it was the 1029... we really need a timeline and update on all devices and the best proms/firmware for them....

39 minutes ago, atarixle said:

At the moment, JoSch (ABBUC-Forum) is working on the 1029 printer emulation. I hope we succied.

OK, that's a deal if JoSch works on 1029 and I work on 1020.

I just don't want 2 guys to do the same work at the same time (very frustrating for one (both?) of them at the end of day).