IGNORED

RespeQt 5.2 and new Repository

ebiguy

I've just booted an ATR via r5.3 on my 2019 MacBook running macOS 10.15.4. I've noticed a couple of minor issues where text is cut off in dialogs. I'll have a play with some more of the functionality.

Edit: Using the above linked binary.

Edited by spookt
clarification

Did some testing too and just want to share my experience:

MacBookPro: Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.4 with USB -> SIO cable from China man, FTDI232
Atari 800 XL: PAL, U1MB

RespeQt R5.3 Qt5.9.9

Disk emulation:

Read and write works fine. Creating new images also fine.

Writing speed: Only "CTS" and "None" handshaking working good. "SOFTWARE (SIO2BT)" generally works but is very slow. But I never use SIO2BT, this was just to see what happens.

I´ve used the current ABBUC Magazine Disk 140 for testing. SDX disabled, max speed is 19200 Baud, no matter what the settings are. Writing speed the same.

With SDX enabled I get 57600 Baud. Also Pokey Divisor works with SDX enabled, up to "3" which gets me 89090 Baud. But no heavy testing here.

Printer Emulation:
Only Atari 1020, Text is working:

1020_TextPrinter.thumb.jpg.2fe4a4eec64f02475c995ac6eb273814.jpg

With all other printers just nothing happens when printer output is closed. If it is opened, RespeQt crashes immediately:

Crashed Thread:        2  SioWorker

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [24343]

That´s my experience so far.

Disk emulation is working good, so I use this version as default now. Another thing I´ve noticed: Earlier versions stopped communication to the Atari, when I changed the focus to another program. This seems not to happen anymore. Like it. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for this detailed report.

12 minutes ago, skr said:

Disk emulation is working good, so I use this version as default now

This is for me the most important point for me.

There have been a number of releases that have brought more and more features but also regressions.
Now, for the next releases, my focus is to stabilize the version so that everyone can download a stable version even if we continue to implement new features in parallel.

I'll try to be very careful to deal with printer issues without affecting the rest of the product and especially the disk emulation part.

20 minutes ago, skr said:

Only Atari 1020, Text is working

That's strange, because even that is not working on Windows. But I am on it so 1020 should also work in a future release on Windows.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 2:47 AM, ebiguy said:

A motivation to create a new repository was to cut the link between all repositories and the jzatarski's repository.

image.png.1ea6d2f77c7c4595d9a941a8820c2d49.png

This is important because people think that the root project of all these forks is the official one and has the latest binaries and sources.

But of course this is wrong. Much confusion that we can see also with the recurring questions in AtariAge asking "Where are the latest sources ?".

So I kindly ask all contributors to delete their repository forked from ebiguy and recreate a repo from the new one.

Otherwise browsing GitHub will still lead indirectly to jzatarski.

And now we've fixed this. Today I transferred the official RespeQt repository to ebiguy.

Several years ago, I forked AspeQt into RespeQt after the AspeQt maintainer decided to try and close an open source project (not within his rights, but that's a story for another time). At the time, I mentioned several times publicly that I thought it would be a good idea if someone would fork AspeQt and create a new project under a different name, but nobody took the bait and I was forced to do it myself ?

I maintained RespeQt for a while, implementing a handful of features and handling a few bugs, but eventually college and then later employment continued to get more and more in the way of maintaining it, as well as other projects I was more motivated to work on. It's been clear to me for a while that it would be better to hand the project off to someone else, and ebiguy seems as good a person as any.

I hope RespeQt will continue to get worked on as one of the free alternatives for SIO2PC peripheral emulation. It may not have every feature you could want, but it still worked last time I checked, and you certainly can't beat the price ?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Joey Z said:

I forked AspeQt into RespeQt after the AspeQt maintainer decided to try and close an open source project

Thank you Joey for your contribution to RespeQt. The project will continue as an open source.

I don't have so much time myself and do not master every aspect of this software but with the indispensable help of active contributors, this product will go forward.

• Like 1

Why not name the project back to AspeQt?

I understand why it was changed; but the name now has nothing to do with what the program does, but rather a name about some past grievance.

For people who don't know, AspeQt is actually an acronym meaning "Atari Serial Peripheral Emulator for Qt".

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I understand why it was changed; but the name now has nothing to do with what the program does, but rather a name about some past grievance.

For people who don't know, AspeQt is actually an acronym meaning "Atari Serial Peripheral Emulator for Qt".

Although it is not a bad idea, it would introduce a lot of confusion.

AspeQt is a closed chapter and RespeQt is further development.

The notion of the name should remind us to respect each other and it loosely corresponds to AspeQt, so it not that bad name at the end ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MrFish said:

While I see where you're coming from, at this point I think RespeQt is a name a lot of people know in the Atari 8 bit computer community. To a newcomer, I don't think AspeQt has any more initial meaning than RespeQt, and it doesn't really make the software any easier to find by using the old name. Changing it now would just add confusion, I feel.

Obviously at the time it was forked, RespeQt was selected as a name to poke fun at the events concerning the primary maintainer of the old AspeQt software. It accomplished the goal of setting the project out as a different piece of software, maintained by different people. It was important to differentiate it then, which is why so many of the initial changes I made were geared towards removing references to the AspeQt name and replacing with RespeQt where the project was referred to. References to AspeQt remained, and may still exist, where they made sense to refer to the separate project.

Beyond that, AspeQt does still kind of exist in it's original form, though it doesn't seem to have been updated in a while. The existence of multiple projects with the same name would only add to any resulting confusing IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joey Z said:

While I see where you're coming from, at this point I think RespeQt is a name a lot of people know in the Atari 8 bit computer community. To a newcomer, I don't think AspeQt has any more initial meaning than RespeQt, and it doesn't really make the software any easier to find by using the old name. Changing it now would just add confusion, I feel.

Obviously at the time it was forked, RespeQt was selected as a name to poke fun at the events concerning the primary maintainer of the old AspeQt software. It accomplished the goal of setting the project out as a different piece of software, maintained by different people. It was important to differentiate it then, which is why so many of the initial changes I made were geared towards removing references to the AspeQt name and replacing with RespeQt where the project was referred to. References to AspeQt remained, and may still exist, where they made sense to refer to the separate project.

Beyond that, AspeQt does still kind of exist in it's original form, though it doesn't seem to have been updated in a while. The existence of multiple projects with the same name would only add to any resulting confusing IMO.

I wasn't suggesting to name it AspeQt as a separate project; but rather, to fold it back into the mother project.

Another option would be to name it something like AspeQt Plus, or Pro, etc.

To me, part of the reason would be in respect of the original author's name for the project, since the core is still based on his work.

The original author most-recent maintainer burned a lot of bridges with the community in general and in with a couple people very specifically and egregiously - AtariAge doesn't ban people will-nilly, and from the stuff I saw, he earned his ban pretty fair and square. 

The name RespeQt is now widely-recognized in the community thanks to Joey's work, and the work of others later who have continued to improve and expand its capabilities well beyond its origins. It would be a terrible idea to change it back to anything connected to the original.

Edited by DrVenkman
Corrected Misstatement

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

I wasn't suggesting to name it AspeQt as a separate project; but rather, to fold it back into the mother project.

Another option would be to name it something like AspeQt Plus, or Pro, etc.

To me, part of the reason would be in respect of the original author's name for the project, since the core is still based on his work.

I don't think it's possible at this point to simply fold it back into the original project. Nobody here has access to the sourceforge repos since the last AspeQt maintainer is banned, unless the original creator of the software still has repository rights and can be contacted. I believe the original creator was Fatih Aygün.

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The original author burned a lot of bridges with the community in general and in with a couple people very specifically and egregiously - AtariAge doesn't ban people will-nilly, and from the stuff I saw, he earned his ban pretty fair and square. 

The name RespeQt is now widely-recognized in the community thanks to Joey's work, and the work of others later who have continued to improve and expand its capabilities well beyond its origins. It would be a terrible idea to change it back to anything connected to the original.

I'll correct you here, the original author was Fatih Aygün, not the Ray Ataergin you're thinking of.

EDIT: to clarify, ray AKA Atari8warez was the 2nd maintainer of AspeQt, after Fatih passed it on.

Edited by Joey Z
clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joey Z said:

I'll correct you here, the original author was Fatih Aygün, not the Ray Ataergin you're thinking of.

Oh, sorry! You are correct. Mea culpa. I have edited my earlier post.

That said, I still think the project name needs to remain "RespeQt" - the reasons for the name change are still valid.

Edited by DrVenkman
Clarification

9 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

RespeQT… Really expansive Atari peripheral emulator once based on the QT backend...

Uh, that would be ReapeQt, Doc...

Along those lines, "Reaper" would be better: Really Expansive Atari Peripheral Emulator Reborn. ;)

• Like 1

ReAspeQT… Really expansive Atari Serial peripheral emulator once based on the QT backend...

hhmmmm…  reAspeQT     :)

onto  RespeQT…  Really exhaustive serial peripheral emulator once based on the QT backend...

yeah RespeQT…   Relatively expansive serial peripheral emulator once based on the QT backend...

can do this all day folks :)   but I won't. Fun stuff.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just now, MrFish said:

I always thought a nice SIO plug icon would be good.

I started working on one a while back.

1817881949_sioplug-48x.png.aa1a805d7bca892682afb076fac61d0f.png

RespeQt 5.3

That's exactly what I was thinking, except I had a more stylized version in mind.  Let's have an icon contest!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jamm said:

That's exactly what I was thinking, except I had a more stylized version in mind.  Let's have an icon contest!

My end design would probably look more stylized (like the icons I designed for the Serious Computerist website). This was just a first rough draft.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jamm said:

Thanks - I was curious about the naming for the project, and that explains it. 

Next curiosity: What does the program icon mean?

Assuming you mean the icon that looks kinda like a funky R, I think it was supposed to be an R styled kinda like half an atari fuji maybe. It was contributed by a member here IIRC.