IGNORED

Animal Crossing.... Wuh?

Shannon

41 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Wuh?  No Animal Crossing posts here?  Shame on you all!

Game came out on Friday.  My wife got on it first.  I've been busy playing catch up.

So what are your thoughts on it?

i haven't been posting because i've been too busy playing!  ?  i told myself i wasn't going to buy it but i lost all my resolve watching my wife play her pre-ordered copy.  It took me 10 minutes ;)

my wife had the one on the 3DS and played it quite a bit, but I really haven't played an Animal Crossing game since the GameCube. 

I absolutely love the new one- i keep telling myself that I'm only going to play for a little bit, then I end up catching another stupid fish or bug, and then I'm on the Nook Miles treadmill again.  My wife has actually set down Stardew Valley for this, and she probably has 500 hours in the Switch version alone.

• Like 2

My wife insisted on getting two so she can "visit" my town.. but I had done played 3 animal crossings to death so I was kind of reluctant to do it.  So I just told her I would watch her at first so I can learn what to do in the early stages.  Once I started I was hooked.  :lol: 

She gave up her harvest moon to play this.  She also has Stardew Valley which she stopped for different reasons.  But I'm sure she will eventually get back to that game as well.

• Like 2

My wife and I played it last night. We have played all the previous games so we might have some stronger opinions on this than most:

Her first major issue with the game.. is the new Nookphone. It is constantly going off alerting her to knew miles she has earned. She already paid off the initial fees in a matter of about 30min just doing usual stuff but that brings me to another issue that I will mention.

She is having a somewhat tough time with the controls of the game. I think I'm going to have to get two pro controllers on this one so that one can always getting charged somehow while the other is in use.

Now for my thoughts...

First is that it does indeed allow more than one person to play on the same cart. But, whoever started the game first gets say in the island naming and which one chosen. I'm not sure why in this day and age, the game can't allow two different players to have their own island on a single copy of the game? Yeah I know you can't play on both at the same time, but at least now I figured out how the couch co-op works in that both my wife and I have tents on the same island but still I don't see why they couldn't have allow the game to create separate islands for each player profile and then allow the players to choose the island to visit for co-op sessions? So it does basically require two switches or at least 2 copies of the game to do this and there wasn't a need for it.

The game looks amazing! You can almost see the fur on the animals and the water sparkles etc are really good. So graphically it is by far the best looking one yet.

So another issue with the single game cart and two players thing. My wife ran around...shaking trees..collecting the stuff and weeded the entire section of the island we can currently access to sell it all for bells, miles. However, when I started my player and game, the weeds were already gone as were the bells in the trees etc. So for me the second players, I wasn't able to clear away the tasks list and earn my miles as quickly as she was able to do. Again, this is another reason the game should allow multiple islands on one cart that it saves in separate profiles for each player. Basically the second person to play the game each day after the first person, will always end up getting the short end of the stick when it comes to stuff to be found since the first player is likely to clear out everything each day anyway.

• Like 1

The island is per Switch... we have a copy of the game and my son is going to play it on his Switch so we can visit each other in the future.  I haven't posted on here about it because I've been busy playing and having a blast!  I love the polish on this game... all the little touches are amazing!  

Now I need to renew my Nintendo Online subscription so we can visit others online... but that's a ways away for me.  

What did everyone name their island?  I went with Fantasy... Fantasy Island!  lol  Shows my age I suppose but that's ok.  This game was the reason I purchased my own Switch.

• Like 2

You can connect to other switches without having the Nintendo Online online subscription.  The airport has a "local" mode to allow this.  Just make sure that when you are visiting someones town that neither one of  you does something that requires connecting to the internet.  Like posting to facebook, going to the nintendo eshop, etc.

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

I bought it today, despite not getting hooked by prior installments. I figure it will be a nice chill out activity for me while working at home for the next 6+ weeks. Hopefully all these videoconference meetings I'm doing won't burn me out from any and all screen use forever. 

i'm in kind of the same boat.  i really like just bumming around and fishing/etc since it's pretty low-stress for me (and mindless).  the visuals and music help greatly, too.

• Like 1

So I don't play the Switch at all, but my kids do and they've been sucked into this game.

If we got a second Switch, would we need a second copy of the game, or could my daughter log into her (family) account on the new machine, re-download our downloaded copy, and have her brother use that one? Or do we just need two copies of the game?

Can they both use the same family online account at the same time?

@racerx I think you need two copies to play at the same time. Just like how you can't use a single cartridge on two places. 

The family account is for online play and the retro games, not to permit multiple people to play a single purchase. 

If this has the dollar-per-hour ratio that everyone thinks it will, it should be worth it. 

I think you can download it to the other switch and it can be played on that switch by anyone that is part of the online-family plan as long as no one is playing it on the other switch.  If you want both to be able to play and visit each other you will need to separate copies.

I bought it from Amazon to save $10, so I get to wait until Tuesday which is fine by me.  Be pretty selfish to get pissed over them making that priority over food, sanitary, cleaning, medicines, and other actual important things.  I've seen some of those foul creatures on other sites and they're scumbags.

1 hour ago, Shannon said:

I ended up with a fruit called "nursery oranges"... anyone have any idea what this does or is for?  For now I just planted them.

not that i'm aware- they are pretty much just regular fruit like the others as far as i know.   my island happens to have cherries on it, and my wife's had oranges- i visited an island using my Nook Miles voucher that had coconuts.

I'm neck deep in real-world junk going on at work that really doesn't belong in this forum- so won't get to play right away this morning.  I for sure will be wanting to take an AC break later this morning once things settled down.   I did get a chance to check out the museum since it opened up today for me and donated a BUNCH of stuff i had clogging up my storage.

3 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I don't mind all players having to live on the same island, but it would be nice if the game allowed them to help with more of the "missions." Now I'm collecting wood and iron to build the store and no one else is able to donate.

uggh.. dont get me started on the iron, lol.  i have like three rocks on my island.

do yourself a favor and dont get all hopped up on fruit and break your rocks- then you have to wait for them to respawn. ;)

• Haha 2

Yeah the new multiplayer or rather..lack thereof for local play is really crappy in my opinion. There is NOT physical limitation to only having 1 island per switch so this is really stupid. I wouldn't even mind the fact that the first player got to pick and name the island etc. But I think it is dumb that as a second townie on the island, I can pretty much only fish and catch bugs and there is almost NO reason for me to collect other materials since only the 1st and primary player can actually contribute to the upgrades on the island?! 

To play this as I used to literally requires a second switch and second copy of the game and it just reeks of greed on the part of Nintendo. I didn't mind this as much on the DS and 3DS versions because I already had multiple systems for my wife and I since we would want to play different games. But I specifically got the switch for her to play this and felt that with couch co-op as an option, it would be a fun way for us to play together. Why not do it like it was on the Wii? That worked okay even if we couldn't visit each other at the same time because we had our own game and could do what we wanted in each instance. We could bring resources over or send them etc. 

I know she will continue to play the crap outta it, but with the restrictions placed on other players on the island, it will get old and boring really fast for me it seems.

• Sad 1

Yeah I think the new "multi-player" was a dumb idea.  At best a second, third, or poor fourth player could dump goodies into the recycle bin for the main player?  Then the main player dump some rewards in there for them.  But this whole layout is just plain stupid on nintendo's part.  They really need to let people have their own saves.  Or at least give something to do for the other players.

I'm not sure why they just won't allow separate islands for the different player profiles on the switch? And then those players can visit the other player's islands either alone or in multiplayer using the resident call app. I remember it working this way more or less in the Wii version? It just stinks because the only way to get other fruit is to actually subscribe to Nintendo's online stuff so you can connect with other players islands. The support forums are full of ticked off parents whose kids fight for who is the current 'leader' and disappointment upon finding out there is only one island per switch console allowed.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm not sure why they just won't allow separate islands for the different player profiles on the switch? And then those players can visit the other player's islands either alone or in multiplayer using the resident call app. I remember it working this way more or less in the Wii version? It just stinks because the only way to get other fruit is to actually subscribe to Nintendo's online stuff so you can connect with other players islands. The support forums are full of ticked off parents whose kids fight for who is the current 'leader' and disappointment upon finding out there is only one island per switch console allowed.

But this way, Nintendo gets to sell more Switches! Win-win! Or maybe just win....

Ahh some tin foil hat posts about the islands, shouldn't be surprised. :D

I was annoyed seeing yesterday my game would not arrive today and slipped, but it did.  I'll get into it here shortly and having not really dug super deep into it as much as the original for the others I hope the new stuff makes it feel fresher like the 3DS one kind of to a point did being Mayor and all.

FWIW three of the fruit's I received were from non real people sources.

Hopefully all of the parents getting on Nintendo about that poor decision will cause them to fix this little issue.  From what I can tell they intend on periodically updating the game anyways.  For example.  The game currently does not have any "events".  That is something nintendo is slated to add as time goes by.

Me thinks they released a partially completed games.  Another "hint" that it isn't complete is the erratic use of the touchscreen.  In some cases you can use it.  Other cases you can't.  Unlike Animal Crossing games in the past where you could use it for every screen.