IGNORED

Animal Crossing.... Wuh?

Shannon

Well I put a lot of hours as I could on it so far.  I find it far more captivating than the original.  The fact they went all in yet in a friendly less obnoxious way about some things, and adding that crafting and upgrade mechanic to the mix really gets it some legs to enjoy it more.  The fact you need to earn what was once given like the museum and so on is awesome as it makes it feel more awesome really doing it yourself.  So far I've got the tools but can not find a shovel.  I accidentally stripped the weeds and stones, so I can't craft any of that stuff at all from the area I have access to until I get a pole to vault with (or a bridge to build.)  I did get the fast tool option, the better clothes making, the lv2 tool kit recipes which none I can make (wtf where's the iron ore??)  I've made good bank enough to get quite a few things in bells and miles and have a house coming I guess tomorrow, Blathers too.  I setup a little outdoor area for my home with a small fire, sleeping bag, a tire to sit on, and a tiki lantern.  Also made another bonfire and put it on the western coast where I have this nice rock platform that has a little tide pool on it also put a birdhouse over that way to see what happens as well.

It was pretty fun also doing many of the chores to get more miles with fishing, shell selling, plant and watering, etc.  I really hope the game opens up a good bit more tomorrow.  I even did some mail order for a floating plant thing, a record player, and a KK tune to enjoy.

I'm not sure they went with an incomplete game.  The touch panel is a bit strange, perhaps a choice, not sure.  But the events makes complete sense at this rate.  Given the viral distraction going on and other crap, maybe they feared not getting it into as many hands as possible so they're delaying some events so more can contribute and enjoy it.  I don't recall AC being that giving on touch based systems always, but it was more than this one does though, but as I said it could be a choice given the system is played by many as a console without touch function.

• Like 1

Once blathers comes into town ( the museum ) he will give you a recipe for a shovel.  I think initially you can buy a regular shovel from timmy/tommy (press R when viewing the for sale list).  You get the iron ore by hitting the rocks with a regular shovel ( not the flimsy shovel ).  At that point you should have access to enough things to build the lvl 2 tools.

Makes sense, maybe it is all Blathers related as still no shovel has popped up in that tent shop of theirs.  I've got the axe, reel, watering can, slingshot and net.  I'll just have to wait for Blathers to show up and be pleased so these things appear, as much as hoping new stones and weed crop up.

My island has an island within it so I can only walk like 40% of the map if that.  I was hoping to isolate my house and instead I got stuck. :(

8 hours ago, Shannon said:

Well you could always "time travel" to get a few needed items.. ;) 

my wife time travels more than Dr Who.  ;)  So far, we haven't seen Resetti in the game.

I'm up to where I'm building a bridge, have my ladder, and am building houses for new residents.

Well for the first time last night, since again my wife is the primary resident and pretty much clears out everything as far as fossils and the like. I did manage to finally use my Nook Miles so that I could visit a random mystery island. This was pretty key to some things because these islands are much smaller and purpose designed for getting additional resources beyond what your primary island can hold. So that is a good way to get additional fruit types. I was also able to get coconuts this way since we haven't seen anything wash up on the shores like this in our game yet. Plus the ability to snag a few bugs we can't on our primary island because we don't actually have any flowers yet that we can reach. I did go in prepared in that I had a normal shovel beforehand. But yeah...the mystery islands are key resource and really make you work to earn those nook miles so you can get the travel passes needed to visit them.

It is interesting however, because what my wife and I have noticed... She is able to build onto the island to donate the needed resources and make the key decisions etc. But the bottles that wash up on shore with the new DIY recipes and many of the more rare fish/bugs only seem to show up when I log into my profile and start to play after she has. She will walk in and see me pick up a bottle off the beach and get frustrated by this because she played for hours before me and never saw had the bottle washed up. This has happened each day so far we have played. Is there a certain time of the day that the bottles wash up? Because I usually only play at night and she plays in the early evening but is done by 8pm or so.

So while I might not be able to donate resources to help build the town, I have or will be the primary source it seems for most of the donations going to the museum which, I have been stock piling the fauna inside and outside my house for when it does actually open (Should be today...).

• Like 1

Just throwing a few things out there... some of you may already know this.

I found one semi reasonable explanation as to why Nintendo does not allow the player to move or backup their save game.  That being that it would be unfair to the other 8 players if that was done.   Nevermind the fact that they really should allow each person their own island / save.  And then for those who wish to share can do so.  Or maybe make a better effort to give the other 7 players something to do.

But I do have a suggestion for a use of the other 7 "slots".  Create your own profiles and use those slots as "showcases" for all of your furniture.  :P

On the inventory screen I got so used to using the touchpad to move items around I was a little confused.  My wife discovered today that you can move an item by holding the A button down and then it will pick it up so you can move it.

I finally tried the mystery island the other night and kinda wish I did it earlier.  Because they provide you with a lot of things you may need early on in the game.

That's about it for now.  I already have the museum, tim/tommy shop, nook tent upgraded and bridge built and currently have access to "customizing" and probably some other stuff.  Currently taking a break and will pick up with it later.

I only have certain time "windows" in which to play the game and other than "waiting" I'm still using the same amount of work and effort to obtain the goals I'm trying to achieve.  So if you don't want to use time travel that is your prerogative not mine.

I was just offering an alternative solution to the persons problem.  Maybe next time I should tell him to have you play it for him.

Edited by Shannon

22 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I only have certain time "windows" in which to play the game and other than "waiting" I'm still using the same amount of work and effort to obtain the goals I'm trying to achieve.  So if you don't want to use time travel that is your prerogative not mine.

I was just offering an alternative solution to the persons problem.  Maybe next time I should tell him to have you play it for him.

oh now, i hardly think they were intending to be offensive.   Go fish some when you have the time-

I thought they blocked time travel in the game?

I'm having trouble at this rate.  I'm on the day off waiting for the museum to be constructed but I'm outright stuck.  For some reason I don't seem to have any rocks in town today so I can't use stones other than what I have, and worse I've been able to come up with NO iron at all other than 5 I had, and 5 given to me earlier so I can not built the Nook's shop.  >:\  Not really entirely sure what to do at the moment but I'm going to dive back into it in a bit.

I actually took the one he had, bought 3 more too.  I now will have 3 known favorites from oldschool AC showing up tomorrow which was cool.  The 4th and last had no one, but it had 4 rocks and a ton of bamboo plus 5 chutes I picked up and planted back on my place near my home trying to create a look.  I put my home in this spot since I couldn't get in the middle area I mentioned along a creek run up right against the only pond on the island behind it which has a thin strip and there went the bamboo.  Just south is the coast, put in 4 palms earlier and setup a campsite which rocket the gorilla I caught using doing some hand warming by the fire.

I finally got the iron I wanted, that shop will go up in a couple days I guess if the museum is any indication.  I also went and made a true axe and shovel so they break far less often and also this standing mirror I found a recipe for in a bottle which now allows for more (person)al options to be unique.

• Like 1

i figured out after seeing something online that if you have Nook's Cranny you don't have to take the 20% penalty if you sell stuff before they open.  :)  (My gameplay starts at 5am CT most days until I login to the office.)  You can't sell the stuff, but you can sure as heck drop them in front of the store!  I did that for a metric crapton of bugs/fish/fossils and made 30k bells for my trouble after 8am.

i have one islander remaining to move in, but humming along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

What 20% penalty?  You can somehow sell outside operating hours?  I won't have a shop for another day if things build like the museum does.  I'm considering creating a main street across the larger part of my space going west of the museum I put up against the river it sits.

Yes you can. There is a bin that will be outside of Nook's that will allow you to drop off and sell your stuff. But there you take a 20% hit on the value of everything you put in there.

As for dropping it off in front of the store.... I've been doing that since the last game!!! When I would have a lot of great late night pickups that I couldn't sell until the next day. I would just stockpile it on the ground outside the shops hehe. What does tick me off a little is the trouble required to get golden tools and the fact that even the golden tools will eventually break?! WTH is that all about? Part of the reason for trying to get the golden tools in the other games was to have tools the NEVER break! Now that even golden ones will eventually break, there is really no reason to go out of your way to get them in the first place.

• Thanks 1

Really the gold tools are breakables in this I'm reading that right?  That's crap.  Has anyone figured out the amount of whacks/uses each thing has before it snaps from being flimsy, stone, normal, etc?  I've gone as far as a normal axe and shovel, but it felt like a waste of supplies otherwise on the rest, and the axe commonly used is stone because the other drops a tree and I need supplies.

Today I hit it for some hours this evening.  Yesterday I think I said I hit many islands and got 3 people to come.  Little did I know just how much the lazy depravity of Nook really was.  I walk into his little shanty of a tent and it scripts me into having to not only place the homes (I do like that for organization) but the lazy slob makes a bunch of promises he can't keep and I get to be his personal slave or the three I met won't show up.  I spent probably an hour or so rounding up all the supplies to make 18 pieces of indoor and outdoor furniture for this and got it knocked out.  Thankfully I do have a ladder and can see my island, and I put a nice large fence around my property to keep things nice and the last few I bracketed the plaza where I stuffed a few flowers off each corner so it looks nice.

About that upper part of the island, all I can say is I have this really breathtaking(for the game) location with pines, a mini falls, and a pond up there and it annoyed me to no end I can't put my house up there.  I'd love to have that place with a view and off the beaten path.  Maybe they allow house moving later...or not?  I did hold onto a gold nugget(my 2nd) and a goldfish too I'll drop in on the shop when it is open as i want my money, all of it.  It will be nice to double the population of the island and see how that plays out with those classic characters.  Also gulliver showed up, did some digging for the nutty bird so I have mail on that coming too.  And finally mail order was nice, another KK beat but also some fake oakleys, 8ball shirt, and one other piece of personal gear I'll like swapping into too.

I have not counted how many wacks it needs.  I always carry around the 2nd level Axe and the miny diy station so I can make stuff as needed.

You'll be able to re-locate your house later on in the game.  But nook will make you his slave for it.. :lol:  Uh I mean charge for it.

Gulliver will periodically show up.  The guy gets lost a lot!   :lol:  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shannon said:

I have not counted how many wacks it needs.  I always carry around the 2nd level Axe and the miny diy station so I can make stuff as needed.

You'll be able to re-locate your house later on in the game.  But nook will make you his slave for it.. :lol:  Uh I mean charge for it.

Gulliver will periodically show up.  The guy gets lost a lot!   :lol:  

Ha, I've seen him twice!  I commented to my wife that I think his crewmates are losing him on purpose.  On one of the evenings i played I ran into Wisp as well- that was neat.

For what it's worth, when you're far enough along (or if you're obsessively clear cutting Nook Mile Islands), you'll have more wood and iron than you know what to do with in the beginning of the game. :)

This game is a blast to play.  I was cautious about the crafting element but after playing for a few days I'm really enjoying it.  Although frustrating to have your tools break after a couple of uses is a pain but at least you can easily make a new one.  I don't think the pole vault will break though as you will need it to get back to your home.  Unless that changes later when you place bridges down etc.

I don't recall seeing Wisp before... I've helped him out twice already.  Same with Gulliver... saw him twice and tomorrow is Turnip day!  Looking forward to the markets!  lol

I haven't gotten into making my house a home yet but I will eventually... I've been busy with other stuff.  lol

I really wish Nintendo would return some NES games to the series... even if it was something that you purchased from the eShop.  Would be a cool integration.

I've had the wisp show up the first two nights I played but not since.

Anchovy moved in today, guessing they allow one per day perhaps so one of the other two maybe there tomorrow.

I got the ability to customize furniture, so I did a nice dark wood furniture set for my place so it looked less random.  I really don't like that DOM ram/sheep thing in my town, total muscle head twit with his talking and lingo so I'm tempted to drive him out.  I figured out the timing and location to snap up wasps in the game yesterday but I don't think they pay as much as they used to.  And I learned having on shades covers up bug bite eyes too.  Ended up bumping into Harv, don't quite get his photo thing but I don't think I'll end up bothering unless there's a quality reward in it anyway.

What's the difference in the basic starter DIY station and the more constructed MINI one that ends up craftable?  It's it for looks or is there a value to bothering with it?

• Like 1

Yeah I don't get Harv's island at all... He seems a bit pervy to me. :lol:

I couldn't find any difference between the DIY stations other than appearance.  But maybe that is something that will reveal itself later.

You'll eventually be able to file complaints about villagers if you want to force them out of your island.

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've had the wisp show up the first two nights I played but not since.

Anchovy moved in today, guessing they allow one per day perhaps so one of the other two maybe there tomorrow.

I got the ability to customize furniture, so I did a nice dark wood furniture set for my place so it looked less random.  I really don't like that DOM ram/sheep thing in my town, total muscle head twit with his talking and lingo so I'm tempted to drive him out.  I figured out the timing and location to snap up wasps in the game yesterday but I don't think they pay as much as they used to.  And I learned having on shades covers up bug bite eyes too.  Ended up bumping into Harv, don't quite get his photo thing but I don't think I'll end up bothering unless there's a quality reward in it anyway.

What's the difference in the basic starter DIY station and the more constructed MINI one that ends up craftable?  It's it for looks or is there a value to bothering with it?

Harv creeps me out!  I went to his island to check it out but i hightailed it before i woke up in a bathtub filled with ice or chained to a radiator, lol.  I don't think there's a difference between the two workstations other than aesthetics- I created the Mini one simply because I liked the way it looked better. 

i haven't managed to catch a wasp yet except in the face- i just keep meds on hand and don't even bother running anymore if i'm on a Nook Island.  

i have an irritating villager as well- it's this monkey named Shari (I think).  She doesn't wake up till like 9:30am and is like super hateful to everyone on the island.  She's going to get the boot soon!

I looked up some guidelines on how to kick someone out so i'll be working on that soon.