IGNORED

Animal Crossing.... Wuh?

Shannon

I haven't looked into giving the boot.  I've been lazy as I was working on other stuff today so I just did the minimum really as far as fossils and whatever I could pick up to donate or sell and that's about that which got me a few bugs and conversations which ende dup with a few nook miles credits.

Wasp catching is like how I did it on 3DS.  I shake the tree from the 7 o'clock position so that when I release I'm facing to the right (3 o clock) which is where the hive will drop.  I've got the net out already and I just smash the button real fast.  I can't get the timing down yet entirely, I got nailed once yesterday, but the day before I got like 3-4 in a row without getting hit by them.  I still haven't crept up on the tarantula yet, I get the timing and small nudges towards, but the net just feels grossly more imprecise than previous games so I end up missing and getting KO'd.

Harv, he's like some Tommy Chong wannabe beagle creeper or something.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Is this a good intro to the Animal Crossing series? I've never played an Animal Crossing game but I'm curious about what all the buzz about it is.

i feel like it is!  the tutorials and stuff are really good ingame.  I haven't played since GameCube but with folks new going in I think that it would be a good first entry into the series.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I haven't looked into giving the boot.  I've been lazy as I was working on other stuff today so I just did the minimum really as far as fossils and whatever I could pick up to donate or sell and that's about that which got me a few bugs and conversations which ende dup with a few nook miles credits.

Wasp catching is like how I did it on 3DS.  I shake the tree from the 7 o'clock position so that when I release I'm facing to the right (3 o clock) which is where the hive will drop.  I've got the net out already and I just smash the button real fast.  I can't get the timing down yet entirely, I got nailed once yesterday, but the day before I got like 3-4 in a row without getting hit by them.  I still haven't crept up on the tarantula yet, I get the timing and small nudges towards, but the net just feels grossly more imprecise than previous games so I end up missing and getting KO'd.

Harv, he's like some Tommy Chong wannabe beagle creeper or something.

that's cool to hear the tips on wasp catching- i hate those little bastards.  i did get one today to put in the museum- what i had to do is run and get a good distance away so i could swing my net.  the net preciseness is kind of a gripe of mine, but a minor one.

15 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Is this a good intro to the Animal Crossing series? I've never played an Animal Crossing game but I'm curious about what all the buzz about it is.

If you already have a switch I would say yes.  This one pretty much includes everything from all the previous animal crossing games plus more.  The only downside is the limitation on multiple towns for more than one player.  But if you are solo it is a good starter.

9 hours ago, digdugnate said:

that's cool to hear the tips on wasp catching- i hate those little bastards.  i did get one today to put in the museum- what i had to do is run and get a good distance away so i could swing my net.  the net preciseness is kind of a gripe of mine, but a minor one.

Agreed the net is a finicky pain in the ass in this game, so it the shovel oddly too.  For both I've never had so many misses from where I was looking compared to where it chose to land.  They clearly tweaked something and not for the better.

Oh and kind of a cash scam, but if you're not hot on using those airline tickets for 2000 nook points, they sell for $10K a piece if you're coming up short for something.  I know in theory it could be seen as a waste, but it's an easy way to make some money in a pinch.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Agreed the net is a finicky pain in the ass in this game, so it the shovel oddly too.  For both I've never had so many misses from where I was looking compared to where it chose to land.  They clearly tweaked something and not for the better.

Oh and kind of a cash scam, but if you're not hot on using those airline tickets for 2000 nook points, they sell for $10K a piece if you're coming up short for something.  I know in theory it could be seen as a waste, but it's an easy way to make some money in a pinch.

that's cool, i didn't know that!  :)  When you get the upgraded Visitors' Center you can trade like 300 Nook Miles for $3k or $5k bells- I don't remember which it is just right off the bat.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:43 AM, digdugnate said:

Harv creeps me out!  I went to his island to check it out but i hightailed it before i woke up in a bathtub filled with ice or chained to a radiator, lol.

My girlfriend just went to Harv's place for the first time. Her comment was "I'm pretty sure I saw this place in an episode of SVU."

• Haha 2

I'm guessing Harv's is where the art side of the game will end up. I state this as unlike other games, I've not see a room in the museum dedicated for artwork? I've not visited Harv's island yet but my wife did and just couldn't figure out what the point was. She walked around..looked at his empty rooms in his house and then left. Haven't been back since.

i haven't seen anything specifically related in-game to showing off pictures/custom designs/etc.  because i'm lazy i created a burner Twitter account to upload my pics, but that's hardly in-game.

the museum, of course, is only fish, fossils, and bugs.  i find it really relaxing to just sit in the museum and watch the fish.

46 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

i haven't seen anything specifically related in-game to showing off pictures/custom designs/etc.  because i'm lazy i created a burner Twitter account to upload my pics, but that's hardly in-game.

the museum, of course, is only fish, fossils, and bugs.  i find it really relaxing to just sit in the museum and watch the fish.

There is a design editor you purchase for your phone with nook miles. There are a few defaults you start with and lots of empty squares for making your own. Just like the previous games you can apply the custom patterns to the walls or on the ground to make pathways etc. I've not used the designer to make anything customer yet but I do have access to it.

There is also an animal crossing app you can download to your real life phone and import patterns from your previous animal crossing games.  There are also websites that have these codes so you can probably import from those sites as well.

Those eggs are too in the way or I have really bad luck, or both.

I keep trying to get fish, it's an egg mostly.  I try and get fossils more eggs than dino bits.  And I go on a nook ticket trip, the entire island is infected with nothing but eggs and litter, seriously.  I wanted to make some coin and got screwed so I shut it off as it was my last general round to do for the day.  I had just paid the little house off, and setup to put a ramp up to the first tier of my upper ridge, and wanted to just pay off that ramp immediately and I wasn't going to do it selling 50k worth of garbage.  Curse that yellow wabbit.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Those eggs are too in the way or I have really bad luck, or both.

I keep trying to get fish, it's an egg mostly.  I try and get fossils more eggs than dino bits.  And I go on a nook ticket trip, the entire island is infected with nothing but eggs and litter, seriously.  I wanted to make some coin and got screwed so I shut it off as it was my last general round to do for the day.  I had just paid the little house off, and setup to put a ramp up to the first tier of my upper ridge, and wanted to just pay off that ramp immediately and I wasn't going to do it selling 50k worth of garbage.  Curse that yellow wabbit.

as an aside, love your profile pic :)

yeah, i'm seeing way more eggs than fish/fossils/etc and also the same behavior on the Nook Islands.  it's going to slow down the progress of my KK Concert. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Agreed, the eggs are way too numerous here and the 13th can't come quick enough so we can be done with it!

i'm good with it, but they sure could pare down the balloons and eggs a bit.  :)  very least, i can make the patterns i guess.

The eggs are still a curse.  I went to another 2 islands today and thankfully before 10pm. ;)  The first was a fruit island and it had PEARS, so I grabbed everything they had, but like 90% of the fish yet again were stupid eggs (ARGH, patch it damnit.)  I took 6 and made new trees on my island just to the side of my 6 cherry trees.  I'm going to start a bit of a grove I think to the left of my home where it stands for now.  In time I'm going to move it elsewhere I think still up on the ridge.  With that planting, got another check off on my card so I just need I guess 2 more fruits still.  I got some decent money turning all those in, and some eggs since the furniture is pretty ugly.

I still couldn't even rake that much in so no paying off the ramp I went for out in the sticks to walk up to the next height.  I'm thinking next time I may just go for some of those small outdoor items and create a few city like structures.  Fountain, town clock, bench, etc.  Not sure yet.

One of the islands I went to had all the rocks on a small island in the middle.  The only way to get to it was to break a rock.  So silly me I dosed up on 10 fruit!  Broke the first rock and every one in the middle!  Things I learned.

You only need one fruit to be able to break rocks with a shovel.

I think you only need one fruit to chop down a tree in one hit ( regular axe ).

You can't chop down a tree with a stone axe no matter how many fruit you are hopped up on.

10 fruit will allow you to pick up a tree and re-locate it.

Use a toilet to relieve yourself of any extra fruit power remaining.  :lol: 

Oh and I think Nintendo has gotten a little bit to control freakish.  They actually check to see if your switch time matches the real time on the internet to keep people from "time travelling" for different events.  This has got to be the stupidest restriction I have ever seen.  Not everyone is at home playing animal crossing on certain holidays.  A lot of people are with family, on vacation, etc.  Nintendo really needs to re-think some of the decisions they made with this version of the game.

Edited by Shannon

9 hours ago, Shannon said:

Oh and I think Nintendo has gotten a little bit to control freakish.  They actually check to see if your switch time matches the real time on the internet to keep people from "time travelling" for different events.  This has got to be the stupidest restriction I have ever seen.  Not everyone is at home playing animal crossing on certain holidays.  A lot of people are with family, on vacation, etc.  Nintendo really needs to re-think some of the decisions they made with this version of the game.

Explain this last part because while I've not done it myself, I've seen many YT vids of those who obviously have to show off full 5 rated towns and the like along with showing off all the fish and bugs which, of course wouldn't be possible without TT in the game. So what is the big N doing on this? I've not seen mention of anything regarding this?

I get the impression either people had their hands on the beta or something.  One of the guide sites even referenced a japanese forum.  So that would be my guess.  Early review or beta copies.

Edited by Shannon

I meant that people are apparently TT in the game even now to acquire the fish/bugs out of season so they can get to town completion levels quicker. Yes reviewers did get copies ahead of time, but not that far ahead of us. Many of the vids I've watched they clearly state they have TT without actually calling it Time Travel. They will say stuff like making settings changes to the Switch...etc which, is a dead giveaway they are TT'ng in the game.

So your post made it sound like Nintendo has done something to prevent this but I've not seen mention of it anywhere and I'm sure it would be all over the place if they had. Bad enough the local multiplayer or multi-user play on single switch is handicapped as it is and the fact that even gold tools now break eventually. It wouldn't surprise me to see Ninendo patch something in to try and dissuade the use of TT but again, I've not seen mention of it. 

Now what Nintendo has been doing is apparently near daily updates to the game if my version # is anything to go by over the past week. But my understanding is that unlike previous AC games, we actually don't have the full game as yet and these patches are to add in the specific events etc since apparently that isn't all completed yet. But perhaps that is what you meant by Nintendo preventing TT? I think it is more like Nintendo wanted to get this game out quickly and since online patches are the norm for modern consoles since the PS3/360 era now, they figured why not?

I was referring to events and time traveling.  Every site that has a guide specifically said that nintendo prevents TT when it comes to events.  But I do not know if that applies to bugs and fish as well.  I myself have not TT'ed more than one or two days.  BTW to do it.  Just close your game.  Go into your system settings.  Turn off the "sync to internet".. set the date/time to what you want.  Load the game.  Take care of business.  Exit and close the game.  Go into your system settings.  Turn on the "sync to internet" option.   Most of the time I just bump it up or back 12 hours so that the tim/tommy store will be open and I can do a couple of day events ( I work a night shift ).

I suppose it is possible that once all events are added then nintendo won't be so strict on the TT and events.  I had one update install the last couple of days.  I'm not sure what it was because it occurred after the first bunny day.  Maybe a bug fix?

Edited by Shannon

I will not buy  switch as I bought a wii u and they discontinued it shortly after. I bet if I bought one 6 months later would be obsolete. Screw modern games. Oh and how much of this game will not work in 2 years? 80%? Like most online games.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1