IGNORED

Animal Crossing.... Wuh?

Shannon

i was kind of burned out over the weekend with Animal Crossing so didn't play a whole lot.  (but, for the record i have 175+ hours plus since release, haha)

i fired it up and played in earnest yesterday after taking a break and had a ton of fun playing off and on.  i managed to get the 728k-ish Nook loan paid off, so I'll have a second story for my house today.  The next Nook loan is almost 1.5M bells, good grief, lol.   my wife helped me pay off another ramp since my villagers don't seem to do their share and I'm still trying to get rid of Sparro.

it's neat the way cycles play out ingame- it really is a world unto itself.  i started working yesterday, too, on changing around the island scenery and adding flowers/etc to the mix.  the way Isabelle talks my island feels like it will be 90% flowers before i move on from 2 stars. :D

edit to add: when i checked my mail this morning i noticed there was a package with 'Stale Cupcakes' from Nook Shopping.  I was like 'wtf did they send me stale cupcakes for?'  When I opened it, i remembered that i *bought* an album called 'Stale Cupcakes' yesterday.  I'm such a doofus, lol

Edited by digdugnate

You will pretty much go automatically to 3 star once you have a full complement of Townies on your island. Once you hit that mark, you will gain access to a suite of tools that will really allow you to make the island your own. That is also when I believe Isabelle will receive some feedback from a visitor with specific initials that kick off the next start of things in the game. At that point aside, from collecting more stuff, completing the bugs and fish for the museum, and improving the island for that all mighty 5-star rating, that is pretty much the end until Nintendo adds more stuff to it. That is assuming they will and they likely will over time.

Both my wife and I have expanded our homes to both upstairs and the basement. That last one will set you back 2.5m bells to get paid off.

Automatically?  It's 10 right?  I've had 10 for nearly a week and I'm still at 2star.  I don't have weeds unless they pop up over night.  I don't leave garbage lying about either.  I did create large peak with much of nothing but flowers and pines on it to beautify the area and also have put quite a few items into a few areas people can mess around with off the plaza with seating, snacks, a stand, a few outdoor toys.  Another is a DIY campsite on the beach, and a third space has a drinking fountain, phone, clock and lamppost.  There's a few other tidbits around like a fountain, signpost, and the japanese bath too.  I've spread flowers in a few other spots and they're blending to make new color breeds too.  There must be more to just having a full load to get 3 stars.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You will pretty much go automatically to 3 star once you have a full complement of Townies on your island. Once you hit that mark, you will gain access to a suite of tools that will really allow you to make the island your own. That is also when I believe Isabelle will receive some feedback from a visitor with specific initials that kick off the next start of things in the game. At that point aside, from collecting more stuff, completing the bugs and fish for the museum, and improving the island for that all mighty 5-star rating, that is pretty much the end until Nintendo adds more stuff to it. That is assuming they will and they likely will over time.

Both my wife and I have expanded our homes to both upstairs and the basement. That last one will set you back 2.5m bells to get paid off.

hunh- i've had 10 folks for like two weeks now and stuck at 2-star.  i've done like @Tanooki so far myself.  Guess I'll just keep banging at it. 

Well maybe I'm wrong. My wife and I noticed that we were only a 2-star for a while and then once she bought house kits from Nook and placed them and we had a full compliment of townies that we were then at 3-star level. We are only just now starting to add flowers and stuff. Honestly we are basically playing it the same way we did on our DSs years ago. I've seen the vids with the crazy pathways and all that and I just don't see us invensting in that much time LOL!

so i was reading about this some, hopefully if someone has already done this they can confirm or deny.  :)  Apparently the ELEVENTH villager is a camper- you have to do tasks for them for three days and then you can buy the plot for them to stay on your island. 

i also read that it's recommended you place at least 25 exterior items.

Edited by digdugnate

Whatever the case I guess I hit by its own choice 5* overnight as I tried today and now they're talking KK Slider showing up.  I didn't do a thing different yesterday as I was in a hurry to take care of a few things so I did the dailies, and the usual fossil run, hit the stores and the ATM style box and that was about it.  I haven't gone to an island in 2 days as I didn't today either.

Maybe it also plays into how much junk who ring up at that kiosk with prints, KKs music selections, etc.  Perhaps there's an invisible hurdle around what you buy to build and then place, craft and then place, and KK's jams too because they did keep saying for awhile you need to check more of his tracks out.

Well looks like Nintendy updated to version 1.20... but no update information on their web site.  So I have no idea what was added / changed.

Found some information.. here it is..

The new Animal Crossing: New Horizons update, which brings the game up to version 1.2.0, is live now. It's a big one--it expands the museum and brings new vendors to your island. If 1.2.0 does not automatically download, you can search for a software update from the main Switch menu by pressing the + button while the cursor is over Animal Crossing.

Redd is coming to the island with his art trawler, where you'll be able to buy art and sell it to the museum--but you have to watch out for fakes and replicas. Leif, meanwhile, will sell new gardening items, including beautiful shrubs to plant all over your island.

There's no guarantee that either figure will appear in your game today (personally I just have Label, who gave me a vampire outfit today), but be on the lookout for them once the update has downloaded. Blathers will now express an interest in art if you go and talk to him, too.

Upon downloading the update, you'll receive letters from both Nintendo and Tom Nook. The letter from Nintendo will come with a World Map, while the letter from Tom Nook will have a Bell-Bag Rug attached. Interestingly, the letter from Nook also tells you that bank interest rates have been cut on your island--even Animal Crossing can't escape the global economy, it seems.

The Nature Day event is also now in effect, meaning that you can earn additional Nook Miles each day by completing a nature-themed task. Be sure to check them out on your Nook Phone each day until May 1.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 1

Well FWIW I got three stars by slowly adding flowers until isabelle said to add more scenery again.  Then I went and took all of my bathroom furniture and spread it around the island.  Outside toilet, bathtub, the works and then ended up getting three starts!  :lol:

• Haha 1

We are still at three stars so I know that to proceed further, we will need to start adding in more objects for scenery. I've done a few here and there but really wish we could just keep a more natural look to things. I've seen other towns on line at 5-star ratings and they ended up having to pave everything and fence in everything and their islands don't really look like island getaways anymore and more like resorts for tourists. Too bad....

This is a list of the upcoming events and dates..

Nature Day
Dates: April 23 - May 4
The one event we already knew was coming, thanks to a Nintendo Direct mini broadcast, was a celebration of Earth Day, which takes place a day earlier on April 22. Specific details and dates hadn't been shared previously except that Leif would return in some capacity. Nature Day began today, April 23, and sees special Nook Miles+ objectives that involve planting trees, watering flowers, and taking advantage of a new feature--the ability to plant shrubs.

May Day Tour
Dates: May 1-7
During this week-long event, beginning May 1, you'll get a one-time ticket--the May Day Ticket--to head out on a May Day Tour from the airport. Nintendo says that the location you'll head to will be different from the usual mystery tour deserted islands, and based on the video, it appears you'll have to navigate a hedge maze. Nintendo also teases, "A special visitor who looks familiar might also be there..." Based on the video, that'll be Rover.

International Museum Day
Dates: May 18-31
The museum is set to receive an expansion for art as part of a New Horizons update that brings back returning character Redd. Starting on May 18, there will be a Stamp Rally event that equips you with a stamp card that you can fill out by browsing the fish, insects, and fossils you've collected. Collecting stamps will lead to an unspecified reward.

Wedding Season
Dates: June 1-30
During June, you can visit Harv's island to encounter Reese and Cyrus, a married couple and another returning set of characters from the series' past. Given the photography-themed nature of Harv's island, you'll be decorating a studio and taking anniversary photos. Rewards include "wedding-themed items." (This wouldn't be the first time the game helped facilitate a wedding of some sort.)

• Like 1

I've taken advantage of Nature Day today, scored 1K off doing a simple bit with some bushes.  I bought like 20 and set them around a commnity park/play square I setup just to the left of the town plaza and lined them across teh top/bottom of it.

Finally pulled the trigger though, moved my house to that remote cliff top in the NE of my town, fenced off a sizeable portion of it too for all my outdoor goodies and to keep people from wandering in doing stuff if I get to ever making a ramp up there as for now starting tomorrow only access is with a ladder. :D  I like the spot, a water hole to the immediate left of the house that drops to a waterfall, and slightly south of the house a small pond which I fenced up to leaving like 20% of it for me to fish from.  It's a nice spread, got a telescope out there, some lawn art, table with music and an oil lamp, outdoor ac, outdoor bench, water faucet, it just works nice.

I've worked a bit more on other stuff to have around the town, but I decided to sink what I had into the 6k for cliff mgmt, carved a little away from where my place is to create a thin walkable strip on the right to hit that isolated beach in the game on the north that's like 3 people wide.  I figure I could try and fish from it or something, if not, maybe see if I can add a ramp later if the room permits.  I have a silo I recently bought, so when my house gets snapped out of place it'll get pushed to that old location since that whole space I'm turning into a foreign fruit orchard setup in blocks of 3 wide, 2 high in clusters.

• Like 1

Argh... they patched out the ability to build fencing on the mystery islands! This was my main method for Tarantula farming! I would use the stone fencing and build it filling in the rock outcrops in the upper left and right of the island to prevent wharf roaches from appearing. But..now that it has been patched out, it took me way way longer to get the tarantulas to show up for catching. Figures...

On 3/22/2020 at 2:50 AM, Shannon said:

Wuh?  No Animal Crossing posts here?  Shame on you all!

Game came out on Friday.  My wife got on it first.  I've been busy playing catch up.

So what are your thoughts on it?

I cannot afford a Switch, but I want this, the cute Zelda game and some other Fanboy stuff that has carried through from the 80s.  

I bought an iPhone 6s - $150 new... only $20 for service per month!  Anyway, I finally am able to play Nintendo's offerings on iOS and have been loving this as well as Pokemon Go (never played a Pokemon game before), Dr. Mario, Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, etc.  

I have a couple of the Animal Crossing games from before - 3DS and DS, but I'm most amazed with the iOS version.  I heard the Switch version has SNES games to collect?  (I didn't read this whole thread if that was already discussed).  Anyway, thanks... #goodnews

I think I misread a forum posting.  It was about Animal Crossing, but then someone mentioned that the Switch has SNES games for download... and I thought it read that the Switch VERSION has SNES games for download.  It would be something they could add in easily with an update though... and it was a big draw for me to want to buy a Gamecube back in the day.  I still have never owned one though.  I wanted to get the translated version for N64 and play it on a flash cartridge, but a lady stole my N64.  :P

I wrote Nintendo. I am a teacher... and I think that the Animal Crossing engine has fantastic potential to be used as an online teaching tool for teachers to use with students... imagine the teacher providing educational tasks for players... and then the rewards given the same as the animals do now.  The game is educational already, but to trick your kids into learning for fun... kids wouldn't even need to know that the teacher was manipulating animals' behavior.

I also wrote them about bringing back R.O.B. in an Alexa type package... camera eyes for AR and programming experiences... he could act like the referee in games like Mario used to... and you could program your own games using color for obstacles in your home and try to guide Rob through... sounds like great fun to me, but they haven't responded.  I was accused of stealing the idea by a guy from the NA group.  I don't need or want credit... I just want to play. I hadn't seen his post... and I think it is likely many have thought about such things in the past...

I am finger-pecking on an iPad now and don't plan to check for errors, so there may be some nonsense above.  Cheers.

I'm taking tomorrow mostly off on AC, very minimalist.  Tomorrow my next bridge gets installed AND the shop is 24hours shuttered for the first upgrade from the hillbilly shack to a store front of some sort so I can't sell off stuff at all.  I'll get my fossils, may do the tree shakes, but probably not due to storage and headache over managing things, get the nook stuff for the x2-x5 ratings and bail.  Also my house goes up again in size after the last (added rear room) so that'll be a curious thing to see.

I did move my home up on that NE peak the other day, fenced off like 90% of the top as a big yard and put some fun stuff in it too.  Also left no route up there either so ladder access only. >:]  I don't want anyone nosing around.  Also Redd is doing his thing too, he showed up behind my pad in his shanty boat.

• Like 1

How they heck did I miss this thread?

I picked this up a few days after release, sliding into the space between my state going into lockdown & Amazon delaying non-essential shipments. As for MY island rating...

IMG_20200424_155440.thumb.jpg.f2cd01d467b17dc69875f1e863a494e0.jpg

IMG_20200420_135446.thumb.jpg.e2f499e08aeab56ec1fc547666d01c77.jpg

When Isabelle showed, my island rating went up 1 star daily til 4, then it took a week or so of tweaking to get 5. My advice is: remember the 3 Fs (flowers, fencing, furniture), don't cut down trees unless you need the space for the above immediately, & work on your infrastructure (bridges/inclines).

As soon as I get my hybrids grown, I can take down my flower breeding pens & build my arcade! 

• Like 1

Im getting DANGEROUSLY close to finishing the the concert area of my Animal Crossing island (I frickin love the purple lights). Can you guess all ten Album covers? I spent some considerably time making them. First one to guess them all gets a free sammich.

Like our Youtube channel... full island tour coming soon- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9Ftz3Ey4OKGXlJPCPr0Uw?view_as=subscriber

animalcrossing.jpg

• Like 1