IGNORED

Animal Crossing.... Wuh?

Shannon

Your feelings about the May event, same here, so I let it go after doing it once and avoided the wedding/photo harassment as that looks entirely not fun to deal with.  Museum stamps was fun, once, and you get the little perk for it but that's about it.

I'm truly curious if this is a big download or an unlock code of sorts by Nintendo as it would suck had they planned this all along and left it off the physical copy as it'll leave a partially disabled game some year down the line.  I should fire the game up again but I'm kind of caught up in another and the distraction could be habit forming bad. :P

Well..my wife and I will play our characters for at least an hour or so each day. But we have reached level 5 ranking so there isn't any incentive to continue building up the island and groundswork. The one thing that will take forever to complete is the art gallery. Haven't figured it out, but Red only seems to show up maybe once or twice in a month for us. And the last time he showed up about 2 days ago, his "legit" painting, was one we already had dontated sitting in the museum? So I'm sitting here wondering how the heck we can have dupes of the same painting and both be legit? Additionally my wife has been given artwork from one or two townies as well? That seemed odd that a townie would just come up and be like "Oh i found this while cleaning the other day" and they provide us with the legit painting of Lady Liberty?!

• Confused 1

Yeah the Red stuff is rather bizarre.  From what I can gather on the ACNH Guide app up to two of the following characters can visit each week (M-F).

Red, Fashion Hedgehog, Pelican, (Selfie) Fish Dude, and the Knuckles wannabee Flick.  ( Sorry about the names I don't know them well ).

Which reminds me.  I forgot to mention the "bug off" from a week or so ago.  It was for those in the Northern Hemisphere.  It was on a Saturday.  Because of this I noticed that KK bumped his venue up to Friday.

I did some diving today and it's pretty neat.  However the swimsuit presents a logistical issue when you use a wand for outfits.  You can't make the swimsuit part of one of the outfits and you cannot edit an outfit when wearing the swimsuit.  You also cannot use the changing room in the clothing store when wearing the swimsuit.  So basically it is a good idea to keep the swimsuit handy in your inventory somewhere at all times.

I met Pascal as well today.  I like him!  :D

• Like 1

Yeap the 3DS game known as AC:New Leaf first introduced us to being able to swim. I did have a question on something?

Pascal makes mention the first time you meet him that the recipes he gives require pearls. I believe he hands you one each time you trade him a scallop along with a recipe? But he also seems to make it sound like you can trade him scallops for more pearls? As a result I started to hold onto the scallops and store them in my house, but I think I've misinterpreted him since he only appears once each day and only when you happen to find a scallop along the swimming barrier. When he does show up, he only seems to take the scallop you just found and not all that you happen to have in inventory which is what I had hoped?

Anyway, the swimming mechanic is cool and I was glad to see that wearing the mask and snorkel isn't required to actually swim and dive. Only the wetsuits are needed for this and yes, they basically become a tool to carry around just like the rest of your gear.

The collecting mechanic in this version of the game is really quite broken though I have to say. In the other games, you would essentially start to complete your collections around the same time since everything would be presented to you in a natural progression to be able to do so. Here in New Horizons, it is possible to knock out the museum damn near in a month if you have more than one person playing on the same island since 4 fossils are presented each day on the island and you can get additional fossils visiting mystery islands. However, the same is not true for art gallery as that will appear to take forever given how infrequently Redd shows up in our town and if you don't time travel, then the bugs and fish will essentially take about the same amount of time. But the new diving part which, adds more things to find and collect and donate to the museum suffers the same issue that the fossils does only worse. Since it was introduced on the 3rd, between my wife and I, we already have more than half of the things you can find by diving found and donated already. So that will likely get done very quickly at the rate we have gone.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeap the 3DS game known as AC:New Leaf first introduced us to being able to swim. I did have a question on something?

Pascal makes mention the first time you meet him that the recipes he gives require pearls. I believe he hands you one each time you trade him a scallop along with a recipe? But he also seems to make it sound like you can trade him scallops for more pearls? As a result I started to hold onto the scallops and store them in my house, but I think I've misinterpreted him since he only appears once each day and only when you happen to find a scallop along the swimming barrier. When he does show up, he only seems to take the scallop you just found and not all that you happen to have in inventory which is what I had hoped?

Anyway, the swimming mechanic is cool and I was glad to see that wearing the mask and snorkel isn't required to actually swim and dive. Only the wetsuits are needed for this and yes, they basically become a tool to carry around just like the rest of your gear.

The collecting mechanic in this version of the game is really quite broken though I have to say. In the other games, you would essentially start to complete your collections around the same time since everything would be presented to you in a natural progression to be able to do so. Here in New Horizons, it is possible to knock out the museum damn near in a month if you have more than one person playing on the same island since 4 fossils are presented each day on the island and you can get additional fossils visiting mystery islands. However, the same is not true for art gallery as that will appear to take forever given how infrequently Redd shows up in our town and if you don't time travel, then the bugs and fish will essentially take about the same amount of time. But the new diving part which, adds more things to find and collect and donate to the museum suffers the same issue that the fossils does only worse. Since it was introduced on the 3rd, between my wife and I, we already have more than half of the things you can find by diving found and donated already. So that will likely get done very quickly at the rate we have gone.

As near as my wife and I can tell, the Pascal/scallop exchange only happens once a day.  I had like 10 scallops in my storage thinking that he'd show up more, but there's really no point to hanging on to them once Blathers has his scallop.

We have about half of the sea creatures, too, so im hoping some of them are gated behind different months so it'd at least stretch out collecting them. :)

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to tell my wife that cause she was collecting the scallops.

As near as I can tell I think some of the stuff is seasonal.  We are both in different hemispheres and I saw her catching a few things that I did not get.  Whereas my first day playing I had nearly half of my collection.  There was this one "snow crab" that was rather difficult for me to catch.  Yeah the collection aspect seems to be rather "off" and the fossil thing is annoying.  I usually store my fossils in case one of my nook "bonus" mile tasks for my two characters is to "assess fossils" or sell items for bells.  But I ended up with a whole pile in front of the museum last week because those tasks didn't come up.

I really hate the ones where you have to catch a specific bug or fish.

Girlfriend bought us a Switch the other day, so I've been playing AC a bit lately. I let her be "player 1" and she's a little upset that I already have way more progress than her :)

Not sure if I'm really into all of the new changes, but that happens every time there's a new game in the series, so I got used to that a long time ago.

Kind of bummed that online play isn't free anymore, but I'll probably cave sooner or later, since all my friends have Switches.

...but there's no way I'm double-dipping on games like Mario Kart 8 that I already own =/

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The collecting mechanic in this version of the game is really quite broken though I have to say...

Idunno, sounds about the same as New Leaf to me. I got the fossils done super quick, but the bugs and fish take a while, and I don't think I'll ever collect all of Redd's artwork.

Ehh it's only $20 and the cloud saves alone are worth it, as if the fairly good sized free pile of NES and SNES games aren't motivation either.

You're right about changes, in most cases, they're good, but when they decided to allow your tools to break and very often, including the so called formerly invincible golden tools that sucked a huge pile of fun out of the game.  I got fed up doing re-crafting of the same stuff every day 1-2x and I quit playing.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ehh it's only $20 and the cloud saves alone are worth it, as if the fairly good sized free pile of NES and SNES games aren't motivation either.

You're right about changes, in most cases, they're good, but when they decided to allow your tools to break and very often, including the so called formerly invincible golden tools that sucked a huge pile of fun out of the game.  I got fed up doing re-crafting of the same stuff every day 1-2x and I quit playing.

My wife got to the point she just buys the tools now.  Also if you do the x2 x3 nook mile tasks you can wait until the "Spend bells by buying items" comes up and get nook points for buying the tools.  Honestly I got to a point in the game where I have so much money I don't really have to use the tools as much so they last a bit longer for me.

5 hours ago, Asaki said:

Idunno, sounds about the same as New Leaf to me. I got the fossils done super quick, but the bugs and fish take a while, and I don't think I'll ever collect all of Redd's artwork.

No it took me several months of daily playing New Leaf before I finally got all the fossils. But that was because my wife and I each how our own 3DS with our own towns etc. We did eventually finish everything in the game but the bugs and fish took the longest due to seasonal stuff.

But my wife and I in our shared island town have had the fossils done for the past 2 or 3 weeks now. And what @Shannon said above regarding the tools is correct. We both have so many bells since everything is paid off in the game that we just buy tools as needed and buy extras to keep around our houses if they should break while playing outside the in game store hours.

She and I each have money trees setup so that each day we have one ready to shake and get bells from. That alone is 30k in bells daily just shaking one tree. Then you have the fossils to now sell since we have them all etc. I have about 7million bells in the savings and she has about 10mil at this point. Now we just focus on talking and giving the townies stuff each day that they would like so we can collect their pictures. We still have KK songs we don't own yet to register and still have the fish, bugs, and art gallery to finish off. So there is still plenty there to keep my wife and I playing for several hours daily.

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Not really, I already own most of those games :)

Only have one Switch, so I don't need cloud saves either.

But like I said, I will probably cave anyway.

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

..when they decided to allow your tools to break and very often, including the so called formerly invincible golden tools that sucked a huge pile of fun out of the game.

The golden tools break too!?!? Yowza. Here I was, thinking I was investing wisely in upgrading my tools...

That is kind of annoying.

Fun part is always trying to figure out the "new rules" and seeing which things still work the same or not. Like, holy crap, you can just dig up a whole fruit tree and plant it right away, why am I collecting coconuts??

Eventually I will give up and check out some FAQs to figure things out :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asaki said:

The golden tools break too!?!? Yowza. Here I was, thinking I was investing wisely in upgrading my tools...

Fun part is always trying to figure out the "new rules" and seeing which things still work the same or not. Like, holy crap, you can just dig up a whole fruit tree and plant it right away, why am I collecting coconuts??

On the fruit trees, yup- just eat a piece of fruit and *plop* there's your tree!  I guess you can collect 'em to make more trees, hehe.

But, yeah, the golden tools break (and they're still a PITA imo to get)- though I will say that the golden slingshot i made hasn't broken yet.

21 hours ago, digdugnate said:

But, yeah, the golden tools break (and they're still a PITA imo to get)- though I will say that the golden slingshot i made hasn't broken yet.

Not sure how long it lasts but my wife has burned through at least 2 golden slingshots by now. I still have the one she made me in storage and never use it. I just use normal sling shots as I don't play nearly as much as she does.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:12 AM, Shannon said:

My wife got to the point she just buys the tools now.  Also if you do the x2 x3 nook mile tasks you can wait until the "Spend bells by buying items" comes up and get nook points for buying the tools.  Honestly I got to a point in the game where I have so much money I don't really have to use the tools as much so they last a bit longer for me.

Ahh well I'm not sure what I'd need to have that kind of cash.  I never have that large of amount on hand at any time, so maybe I missed the way to cheat the system for max easy cash.  My daily routine was shake trees, do the 5 tasks more or less, fossil-sell fossil, keep/sell shake furniture, and do whatever beyond that point.  I'd easily rack up like maybe 50k a day give or take really depending when my fruit trees would pop since they're 1500 a piece.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, Asaki said:

Well I only have one too, but if you fear ever losing your progress (system fail, stole, whatever), and if you ever go to a friend/family member you can pull the data there too fast it's a good choice.  I have most the games, technically all given the everdrive/sd2snes I have, but because the WiiU was such a faulty failing pos I lost my work when their own update bricked it like 2 years into the system (the one big update that removed most the horrid general menu lag) I don't trust my data being stuck on hardware so it's a nice insurance policy.

And yes the golden gear in AC on Switch does break making them asinine trophy prizes just for the effort of having them, but they're not infinite.  Like I said, breakable goods sucked my cares out of the game and entirely that alone.  I still haven't run the update from 5 days ago with the diving.

No "cheating the system" involved.  Just making wise use of the resources available and knowing when to buy and when to sell.  I'd give further detail but you apparently seem to have lost interest in the game because it is "too hard".

The way my wife and I racked up most of our bells pretty early on was by simply fishing and catching the stuff that was worth bells. My wife literally plays for hours daily doing this very thing. Catch everything that has a big shadow...toss back what isn't worth...rinse and repeat. 

The way I got most of my bells, doesn't work nearly as well as it used to and isn't worth doing anymore. But I was farming insects on the mystery islands at first. I've still not gotten to Tarantula/Scorpion island but I could simulate the same thing on most others by removing all the trees and flowers to limit what could spawn on the small islands. But Nintendo killed that at the same time they patched out the ability to build fencing on mystery islands. But when it was working I would stock pile the tarantulas and atlas moths until Flick visited. That way I could get max return for each insect. 

But basically we make about 100k - 200k each day just running around catching bugs and fishing and keeping anything that we know is about 600 or more bells in value. You can easily make enough to buy replacement tools on each load out you sell doing this and it really doesn't take that long.

BTW, I can't remember which river island it is, but one of the river mystery islands is still a really good source for farming giant water bugs as they are just everywhere. They aren't worth as much as the tarantulas and scorpions but I think they are over 1000 bells each so yeah...

Also keep in mind that if you bury 10k bells as a money tree into the shining hole, then when it fully matures in 3 days, you get 30k bells from it. Again, my wife and I each have trees setup daily so that we always have a trees with bells waiting to be shaken and then axe it down and replace it with a fresh one. Next day, A different tree is ready and we do the same. So again at 30k each tree each day that helps quite a bit there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I never have that large of amount on hand at any time, so maybe I missed the way to cheat the system for max easy cash.

I don't know if the new game has perfect fruit, but that was the real money in New Leaf. I missed out on my first perfect fruit because I didn't realize you were supposed to plant it >_<

Get a nice farm going, and bring all that fruit over to a friend's village to sell.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But basically we make about 100k - 200k each day just running around catching bugs and fishing and keeping anything that we know is about 600 or more bells in value.

Man, I never bother with anything that isn't at least 2000 bells. But that might be from when I used to play the older games during the night...I'd write down the price lists for that season and only stock up what was valuable, so I could sell it in the morning. Red snappers, football fish, barred knifejaw, anything with a shark fin, BEETLES...

I'm sure it probably changes later, but right now, Nook is open 24/7, so it hasn't been an issue. Plus, you've got deeper pockets in this one, and can stack aquariums.

20 minutes ago, Asaki said:

I don't know if the new game has perfect fruit, but that was the real money in New Leaf. I missed out on my first perfect fruit because I didn't realize you were supposed to plant it >_<

Get a nice farm going, and bring all that fruit over to a friend's village to sell.

Man, I never bother with anything that isn't at least 2000 bells. But that might be from when I used to play the older games during the night...I'd write down the price lists for that season and only stock up what was valuable, so I could sell it in the morning. Red snappers, football fish, barred knifejaw, anything with a shark fin, BEETLES...

I'm sure it probably changes later, but right now, Nook is open 24/7, so it hasn't been an issue. Plus, you've got deeper pockets in this one, and can stack aquariums.

Not aware of perfect fruit? But we do have several of each fruit tree. However, we do NOT pick our fruit unless required by Nook miles tasks. Again, we just don't need to so we keep it on the trees for others to pick that need it when visiting.

Nooks once upgraded will only be open until 10pm each night. After that you either hold onto the stuff to sell it the next day, or you can sell it with a 20% cut using he bin outside of the store to sell to after hours. But basically we will catch anything that of about 1000 bells or more. As long as I my take is about 40k on each visit from a load up I'm good with it and it doesn't take that long to do either. Now that it is July the beetles are out in full swing and that is another big boost as you are correct in that sacking beetles and holding onto them for when Flick visits is the best way to get the most bells from them.

But yeah as of last night my wife now has over 10million bells in savings and I have over 7.5million bells. We earn far more than we actually spend at this point in time in the game. So I haven't crafted any tools in well over a month if not more since 2500bells a pop is cheap change to us from what we make just fishing and getting insects. Again if I can spend like 30min fishing and get a take of 40 - 60k bells selling them or more, then I'm not worried about spending 5000 bells total to replace my net and fishing pole each time they break on me.

9 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Now that it is July the beetles are out in full swing and that is another big boost as you are correct in that sacking beetles and holding onto them for when Flick visits is the best way to get the most bells from them.

I don't know who Flick is, but I'll keep this in mind.