Jump to content
Shannon

Animal Crossing.... Wuh?

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, zzip said:

We do have a digital copy, but have a shared island with my daughter, even though she has her own Switch Lite.   Everything I've read said you can only have one island per switch, how do I play on a separate island?

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  I'm not 100% sure how it works for everyone, since I feel like Nintendo made this really a pain to deal with.  Here's how hers are setup:

 

* Primary Switch, digital copy of game under her Nintendo account, one island

* Secondary Switch lite, same digital copy of game under her Nintendo account, second island.

 

Maybe the key is having the same digital copy under the same account on both Switches.  I know you also can't be logged into both Switches under the same account at the same time or you can't play (it gives an error).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't played my character for well over a month now either. My wife still continues to play, but not daily as she used to. Once we collected everything there was to collect (Aside from some of the special items during events), the game has lost quite a bit of its appeal. But this happens with every version of the game at some point with us.

 

One thing that does bother me, is that in the future if you wanted to play this game. It would likely be severely limited because it appears that the events are actually unlocked as part of the updates made to the game. So depending on what update you had last, then in the future if you were to fire it up and want to play. You would be limited in that the ONLY event that would ever happen would be the one that was unlocked during the last update the game received. Any other time of the year, the events wouldn't happen it what I'm gleaning based on how it all works. That makes this version even less fun to play in the future once the Switch is no longer supported. Unlike the previous versions where everything was available from the beginning and only minor updates were made to perhaps add in extra items.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's lots of valid complaints I think about the game and its current-state that I get completely having played it off-and-on since release.   

 

If Nintendo was going to switch (no pun intended) the game to a single-player sort-of-online game (SPSOOG?), I'd like to see the game have more events added on a regular basis, or even 'expansions' to just give the game more content for folks.   

 

Don't get me wrong, I've spent 800+ hours in ACNH and my wife has enough it stopped counting, lol, but I also have complaints for this otherwise fine game:

 

* Let me stack Manila Clams.  I know they're living creatures, but come on, lol.

* Give me the option to SKIP all of Sahara's talking (even though it was shortened).  I just wanna give her the money-payment!

* Give me the option to SKIP the Dodo text once I've been through it once.  Yes, I know that anyone can come on my island, yes, I am ready to travel! lol

* Let me build multiple same-items in the crafting table.

* Make it easier for my Switch friends to be my ACNH friends.

* Let me be able to remove friends from my friends list in ACNH. 

* Make all the context menus CONSISTENT for all items.  I don't know how many times I've shown the world my fish, or dropped my medicine, or similar.

 

Anyhoo, sorry for all the complaints, but I really feel like addressing the stuff above would make the game a lot more enjoyable for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

* Give me the option to SKIP all of Sahara's talking (even though it was shortened).  I just wanna give her the money-payment!

* Give me the option to SKIP the Dodo text once I've been through it once.  Yes, I know that anyone can come on my island, yes, I am ready to travel! lol

These complaints could be applied to many other NPC interactions too.   Was it really necessary for Blathers to tell me about the museum stamp thing every day in May?    And Isabelle-  if she has nothing to announce, which is most days, why even show her cut scene at all?

 

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

* Primary Switch, digital copy of game under her Nintendo account, one island

* Secondary Switch lite, same digital copy of game under her Nintendo account, second island.

This is similar to how ours is set up, except that my daughter had her Switch Lite longer than we had the family Switch,  does that mean that her Switch Lite is primary and the only one that can have more than one island?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zzip said:

These complaints could be applied to many other NPC interactions too.   Was it really necessary for Blathers to tell me about the museum stamp thing every day in May?    And Isabelle-  if she has nothing to announce, which is most days, why even show her cut scene at all?

 

This is similar to how ours is set up, except that my daughter had her Switch Lite longer than we had the family Switch,  does that mean that her Switch Lite is primary and the only one that can have more than one island?

I wish I could give you a definitive answer but I just don't know. :(  That may be the case in regards to the primary/secondary Switches. 

 

I do know it's a righteous pain in the butt to take the secondary Switch anywhere there's no Internet to authenticate the account- you have to make the one you're taking 'portable' somewhere the Primary beforehand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one thing that will keep me coming back to this one more than others in the past is terraforming.

 

Every once in awhile I get a wild idea to build design something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I wish I could give you a definitive answer but I just don't know. :(  That may be the case in regards to the primary/secondary Switches. 

 

I do know it's a righteous pain in the butt to take the secondary Switch anywhere there's no Internet to authenticate the account- you have to make the one you're taking 'portable' somewhere the Primary beforehand.

Not a huge deal..   everything I read makes it sound like there can only be one island per switch.      I'm happy enough to keep playing the current island,  we got it up to 5-star.  

 

But if I could have a personal island where I didn't have to run every decision past her about which villagers stay and go, etc  that would be cool too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like a second island to make it like a zoo. Put the villagers in a hole lined with barbed wire fencing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that would make me play it more, if I could get another island to tinker with you can Dodo-air to.  How long I have no idea.

 

The game just had a lot of valid problems, largely they're tied around how thin the game is outside of the online setup and the lack of stuff to do once you hit a point.  Online I mean anything from a large chunk of the game being disabled or not even included in the box that download with revolving time released sections that open and close, but also just the online being used to pull in large amounts of just general should have been on the card level content too for it to be a FULL GAME if you lived in the sticks and had no internet.

 

It's times like this you look back to the old Gamecube game and realize how even that early one is superior to pretty much every single one since.  It had large amounts of content, animal interactions, things to do, the time released stuff is on disc and returns, trades were done if needed with codes and so on which you can still pick off a guide (print or online) today even.  Releases since moved more and more away from having as much to do in some respect or another which is a shame.  The amount of time I put into the old cube game was ridiculous compared to every one since as it just had so much more there to work with out of the case.  That one you really could build a little life on there and never need any outside access at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Now that would make me play it more, if I could get another island to tinker with you can Dodo-air to.  How long I have no idea.

 

The game just had a lot of valid problems, largely they're tied around how thin the game is outside of the online setup and the lack of stuff to do once you hit a point.  Online I mean anything from a large chunk of the game being disabled or not even included in the box that download with revolving time released sections that open and close, but also just the online being used to pull in large amounts of just general should have been on the card level content too for it to be a FULL GAME if you lived in the sticks and had no internet.

 

It's times like this you look back to the old Gamecube game and realize how even that early one is superior to pretty much every single one since.  It had large amounts of content, animal interactions, things to do, the time released stuff is on disc and returns, trades were done if needed with codes and so on which you can still pick off a guide (print or online) today even.  Releases since moved more and more away from having as much to do in some respect or another which is a shame.  The amount of time I put into the old cube game was ridiculous compared to every one since as it just had so much more there to work with out of the case.  That one you really could build a little life on there and never need any outside access at all.

I think it is a matter of trade offs. New Horizons made Animal Crossing more social between people. The old games most of that was done through the Animals. Their personalities were nerfed and I miss the fetch quests.

 

The DS version was good. City Folk is the only one I haven't really played. So I don't think NH is worse just different. It really was the perfect game for the pandemic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time release stuff that is limited are new events.  Once the initial time period has passed ( in real life ) it will be accessible from that point on.  Even to time travelers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I think it is a matter of trade offs. New Horizons made Animal Crossing more social between people. The old games most of that was done through the Animals. Their personalities were nerfed and I miss the fetch quests.

 

The DS version was good. City Folk is the only one I haven't really played. So I don't think NH is worse just different. It really was the perfect game for the pandemic.

Can not agree more.  I think had the virus hit, it would not have had the penetration or crazed following as much as it did.  Not to say millions wouldn't have got involved, but it would have dried up far faster from a smaller pool to sustain it is all due to watering down classic parts of the game.  Also I find the whole too easily broken stuff and having to craft, even so called formerly bulletproof gold tools loathesome completely.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised they make the choice to let the gold ones break tbh. Sucky reward for earning them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I'm surprised they make the choice to let the gold ones break tbh. Sucky reward for earning them.

 

On 6/11/2021 at 11:49 PM, Tanooki said:

Can not agree more.  I think had the virus hit, it would not have had the penetration or crazed following as much as it did.  Not to say millions wouldn't have got involved, but it would have dried up far faster from a smaller pool to sustain it is all due to watering down classic parts of the game.  Also I find the whole too easily broken stuff and having to craft, even so called formerly bulletproof gold tools loathesome completely.

Especially considering how big a pain in the butt it is to get the gold stuff in the first place!  If I'm gonna 5-star my island, give me a tool that doesnt break, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the 5* and I played a bit beyond that into a couple seasons of rotated creatures, filled the museum fairly fast too by luck I suppose.  At that rate I gave up being regular then bothering really at all.  I miss the animal relations and as said, the fetch quests, it was a nice true lasting reward.  Now it's hollow in place of trying to get everyone online, and the added stuff well there's a reason maybe why stuff and fluff roll off the tongue the same way, just meaningless.  I really wished for like a half year they would have made 2 changes and I could have kept playing and tolerating the game.  Fix the gold items to never break since they're super hard in cost (time and value) to even make one let alone them all, but also relax how fast stuff breaks in general.  The fact you can't on a standard island do just the dailies without destroying at least a couple items or more depending on wear, it's a dog, because then you have to make more efforts to get rocks, twigs, wood(now of 3 types so luck has it which you get), etc to make replacement while carrying around the portable table.  It just eventually got infuriating.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I got the 5* and I played a bit beyond that into a couple seasons of rotated creatures, filled the museum fairly fast too by luck I suppose.  At that rate I gave up being regular then bothering really at all.  I miss the animal relations and as said, the fetch quests, it was a nice true lasting reward.  Now it's hollow in place of trying to get everyone online, and the added stuff well there's a reason maybe why stuff and fluff roll off the tongue the same way, just meaningless.  I really wished for like a half year they would have made 2 changes and I could have kept playing and tolerating the game.  Fix the gold items to never break since they're super hard in cost (time and value) to even make one let alone them all, but also relax how fast stuff breaks in general.  The fact you can't on a standard island do just the dailies without destroying at least a couple items or more depending on wear, it's a dog, because then you have to make more efforts to get rocks, twigs, wood(now of 3 types so luck has it which you get), etc to make replacement while carrying around the portable table.  It just eventually got infuriating.

I put the stump DIY tables around the perimeter of my island to help with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I got the 5* and I played a bit beyond that into a couple seasons of rotated creatures, filled the museum fairly fast too by luck I suppose.  At that rate I gave up being regular then bothering really at all.  I miss the animal relations and as said, the fetch quests, it was a nice true lasting reward.  Now it's hollow in place of trying to get everyone online, and the added stuff well there's a reason maybe why stuff and fluff roll off the tongue the same way, just meaningless.  I really wished for like a half year they would have made 2 changes and I could have kept playing and tolerating the game.  Fix the gold items to never break since they're super hard in cost (time and value) to even make one let alone them all, but also relax how fast stuff breaks in general.  The fact you can't on a standard island do just the dailies without destroying at least a couple items or more depending on wear, it's a dog, because then you have to make more efforts to get rocks, twigs, wood(now of 3 types so luck has it which you get), etc to make replacement while carrying around the portable table.  It just eventually got infuriating.

when I craft tools, I make a bunch at once,  like I won't just craft one net, I'll craft 3 or 4 and keep them in my house inventory,  that way if one breaks I don't have to bother gathering the materials, I just pop home and grab a new one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm aware those are ways to handle it.  At one point I did just do that keeping a couple.  But when I do play an AC game I never skip a day, months on end.  It was a slow grating annoyance that built and built, eventually where I'd play in time every couple days, couple times a week, once a week...then just stopped without any intent other than just getting over it as it really was an unnecessary thing to add to try and appease to the pathetic mincraft fan base from all appearances.  I don't hate the game, just can't keep dealing with it, yet i could happily go back to the 3DS, DS, definitely Gamecube one and be just fine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zzip said:

when I craft tools, I make a bunch at once,  like I won't just craft one net, I'll craft 3 or 4 and keep them in my house inventory,  that way if one breaks I don't have to bother gathering the materials, I just pop home and grab a new one.

I built a strip mall that for awhile had the different tools in them. They break I got to my fishing shop etc etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something Animal Crossing-related but not-related and kind of dumb I noticed this evening, lol.

 

There are several villagers with the same names as Trailer Park Boys characters: Lucy, Ricky, Bubbles, and Julian. Complete coincidence, but funny to work-braindead-me.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the localization, it's probably not a coincidence.  Someone at Nintendo slipped through a bit of humor there, which isn't new, they just need to be more subtle so the overseas office doesn't catch things at times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What determines what becomes a hot item?   I used to see  "shell arch" be a hot item semi-regularly.   But it seems like once I realized I could start collecting shells and make a lot of bells selling them,  they stopped showing up at hot items.  Does what you have in inventory affect this?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zzip said:

What determines what becomes a hot item?   I used to see  "shell arch" be a hot item semi-regularly.   But it seems like once I realized I could start collecting shells and make a lot of bells selling them,  they stopped showing up at hot items.  Does what you have in inventory affect this?

 

That's a good question! IDK unfortunately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zzip said:

What determines what becomes a hot item?   I used to see  "shell arch" be a hot item semi-regularly.   But it seems like once I realized I could start collecting shells and make a lot of bells selling them,  they stopped showing up at hot items.  Does what you have in inventory affect this?

 

I'm pretty sure this has always been randomized. In our case on our island it was always something different each day. 

 

As for the tools breaking. Heck once my wife and I each had over a million bells in our savings, we just buy the tools. We each make more from the bell trees and other stuff each day to cover them. I don't like a the fact that the game really seems to only benefit the primary person that started the island though. My wife is the 1st resident and she is the one that plays during the day before I get home from work. As a result of this, she is always the one that heals the sick animals and finds their lost items. It has been a rare instance when I played the game and had the chance to do this myself because she hadn't played it yet or because she was actually out of town.

I also kinda miss the hide n seek game they had in the last one on the 3DS. 

 

I'm glad that events remain available without the updates, but then why the updates that apparently coincide with events getting unlocked then?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm pretty sure this has always been randomized. In our case on our island it was always something different each day

I don't think it's completely randomized because I see some items become hot a lot, and others almost never.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...