IGNORED

Stella 6.1 released

stephena

Hi there!

I just wanted to say that I love 6.1, Kudos to Stephen and the Stella Team! :) But I do have a question - is it possible to change the snapshots that the UI shows for each game? Id love to be able to change this to box art. Im sure its an easy change, but Im not so great at figuring stuff out sometimes!

Thanks!

It's not difficult, just a bit of work.  First of all, Stella only supports loading PNG files, so if you have JPEG or some other format, you need to convert to PNG.  There are image converters that will do mass conversion for an entire directory of images, so that isn't really a problem.  Second, they have to be named a certain way.  Basically, download the snapshots.zip file from Stella's webpage and look at the names.  Simply replace each one with your own box art version, and it will work fine from there.

So the real work is in collecting all the images, and naming them accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, stephena said:

Looks like scanlines are turned on.  Go to Video -> TV Effects and turn the Scanlines Intensity bar all the way to the left (until it says 'Off').

Thanks that worked! I wonder why it (6.1) had 35% when 6.0 was off......

3 hours ago, Tifany said:

Hi there!

I just wanted to say that I love 6.1, Kudos to Stephen and the Stella Team! :) But I do have a question - is it possible to change the snapshots that the UI shows for each game? Id love to be able to change this to box art. Im sure its an easy change, but Im not so great at figuring stuff out sometimes!

Thanks!

snapshots???? In Stella? I've seen them on MAME, but not Stella (unless its on the AtGames Atari Flashback 9 and/or X consoles)

Hi

and like others said GREAT Work on this and I am getting a Retron 77 delivery says tomorrow so I will  say thanks ahead of time for that port of Stella!!

And hope all are safe and hangin in there

Mike

On 4/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, Arenafoot said:

snapshots???? In Stella? I've seen them on MAME, but not Stella (unless its on the AtGames Atari Flashback 9 and/or X consoles)

Look at Options -> User Interface -> Launcher.  Then play around with Rom info width and the corresponding Image path.  Finally, download the snapshots from the Stella webpage and point the path to those snapshots.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 12:26 AM, Arenafoot said:

yeah I've noticed a difference in the picture quality from Stella 6.0 to 6.1, on my Win7 32-bit PC - the screen default size is bigger (good) but the graphics look grainy (not good), is it supposed to be this way? or do I need to change a setting @stephena?

image.png

On 4/7/2020 at 3:51 AM, stephena said:

Looks like scanlines are turned on.  Go to Video -> TV Effects and turn the Scanlines Intensity bar all the way to the left (until it says 'Off').

In addition, the screenshot shows an aliasing pattern when scanlines are enabled. This happens because the window size is too small, and individual lines of the image are smaller in height than one pixel on your display. If you increase the scaling factor in the settings (or go fullscreen), scanlines will should look fine.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1

This looks like a game properties issue, brought up on FaceBook. Guy's trying to play Im Schutz der Drachen but the joystick doesn't work.

Stella IDs it as Dragon Defender, and has it configured for MindLink:

2076614559_ScreenShot2020-04-23at4_15_07PM.thumb.png.3942b0fb05d2a8ad21bea15fec1b92fb.png

If I switch it to Joystick I can control the dragon.  I checked DefProps.hxx and found 3 versions of Dragon Defender in there, but only this specific MD5 is configured for MindLink.

Stella 6.1.2 is now released, with a few small (and one not so small) fix.  Changelog as follows:

• Fixed bug with remapped events not being reloaded in certain cases.
  • Fixed bug in debugger for 3E scheme when displaying active RAM bank.
  • Fixed bug in "Dragon Defender" ROM being misconfigured for Mindlink controller

It can be downloaded from the links in the first post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

In saw that in a previous post in this thread that Arenafoot had a similar issue but his problem was fixed by turning scanlines off, this was not. I've noticed a display issue that looks to have started between 6.0.2 and 6.1, at least in the Windows build. I take screenshots for mock cartridge labels for the ZPH show and have been noticing for a while that the screenshots weren't pixel perfect any more. I thought it was my method of doing things for the longest time but today I looked into it a bit more.

It looks like Stella version 6.1+ are rendering partial pixels, even at 2x, 3x and full screen where versions 6.0.2 and previous were pixel perfect. This might be an incorrect setting on my part but out of the box defaults with TV mode 'Disabled' and Scanlines 'Off', it still persists.

(Both below screenshots are taken at 2x then zoomed for visibility)

image.thumb.png.cbbbb3bc918cead961cc0b74c7ba79ef.pngimage.thumb.png.5346bf0721a0a915f8d1f2cfdbe73f1d.png

Lining up the different builds, which I did for the first time today, you can see below that version 6.1+ creates approx 10% larger window sizes.

(All these versions are set to 2x Zoom)
image.thumb.png.3f647d157b47ec538143956cda775aae.png

This might be an issue on my end or something that's already known, but I thought I'd bring it up.

- James

EDIT: Additional information... here are my video settings:

image.thumb.png.5f42d9ebaeedad68816bbd2f43f2a90e.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

What you see is the result of an improvement in emulation. With this change, Stella is now emulating correct pixel sizes. And these are not square like a digital display's pixel. Also their height is influenced by the number of scanlines created by the ROM. 

Previously the height of a pixel was fixed and its width was changed depending on the user's aspect ratio setting. Also there was no correct rounding of this width (if you count the width of a vertical line in your 6.0.2 screenshot you will notice the error, it will become even visually obvious at low zoom, see attachment). This lead to varying window sizes (also PAL was much larger than NTSC). But this is not how a CRT behaves. There the width of a pixel is fixed, and the height changes between NTSC and PAL.

So we switched from interpolated pixel width to interpolated pixel height. And we are now correctly interpolating.

Three.s (v1.02) - (Stella 6.0).png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What you see is the result of an improvement in emulation. With this change, Stella is now emulating correct pixel sizes. And these are not square like a digital display's pixel. Also their height is influenced by the number of scanlines created by the ROM.

Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense now. Thank you for making Stella as console accurate as possible!

On 4/30/2020 at 7:19 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I take screenshots for mock cartridge labels for the ZPH show and have been noticing for a while that the screenshots weren't pixel perfect any more.

Maybe this will work for you - hit TAB to bring up Options:

944522281_ScreenShot2020-05-01at11_17_37PM.thumb.png.fa24b5f50ede31e1280a082d02f62b3d.png

Click Snapshots...:

1779588452_ScreenShot2020-05-01at11_17_41PM.thumb.png.c4b91e4d5c68d87809d45343658c9b91.png

Check Ignore Scaling (1x mode).  That results in 320x snapshots (height depends on game, NTSC will be shorter than PAL):

1928656728_Aardvark(Demo).png.e1dd429ffd094eddeeebc9565b00dff5.png

If you need a larger image then use a graphic program to resize it to 640x or 960x, just be sure to do so without interpolation:

1235501507_Aardvark(Demo)2.thumb.png.60c298d36427df5c3ed69867e6c9ec07.png

If you resize using interpolation you end up with those fuzzy pixels:

986171337_Aardvark(Demo)3.thumb.png.78d6cb7457c99ae1d131d51e80402a54.png

Closeup without interpolation:

1643718891_ScreenShot2020-05-01at11_32_15PM.png.3e413982ec3043abb6d62d2793744bae.png

Closeup with interpolation:

1270740241_ScreenShot2020-05-01at11_32_19PM.png.7ae58bebe9f31d445501b48b0c947c5d.png

• Like 3

Hi there,

I'm having an issue where Stella freezes randomly while playing Stampede. Same thing happens on both NTSC and PAL ROMs.

I'm using Stella 6.1.2 x64 on Windows (same thing happened on 6.1.1). 

Other games play with no issues. This happens only in Stampede.

Any insights? ?

Thanks.