IGNORED

Stella 6.1 released

stephena

13 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Never mind..

Why nevermind?  Did you find the issue and then resolve it?  Because if you've found a setting that causes this, it would be beneficial for everyone to know.

Ha! I rarely played Stampede, back in the day, or now. So I start playing and all uvva'sudden it freezes solid! I played again and it did it again. And again.

Since I was stoned last night it took me a while to understand that it does that when its GAME OVER! You let a few get past you and the game instantly stops. I'm sure that's the way its supposed to be. It's kind of tricky because its so sudden and can end when your lasso is "mid-air".. No end-game sounds or flashing stuff things. Just a hard stop. So..yeh.. Watch the counter at the upper left.

Edited by Keatah
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

Sorry, still don't get it ? The revamped, Stella 6 based firmware has been supporting TV effects from the start.

The salient part from Thomas in the reply I quoted:

"the R77 is too slow to handle TV effects combined with QIS"

Since QIS was new to 6.1, and TV effects worked great up to (and including) beta 2, it sure sounds to me like they don't work (properly) on the release version.  I stayed on beta 2 (which is perfect IMHO for NTSC-only titles on R77, so long as your TV can do 1:1) for that reason.

5 minutes ago, Rodney Hester said:

"the R77 is too slow to handle TV effects combined with QIS"

Yes, since the R77 couldn't do TV effects and QIS, it instead does only TV effects and does not do QIS.  So the TV effects are still there, but the advantages of using QIS aren't present.  This is a compromise that we had to make to keep the R77 port going forward.

35 minutes ago, stephena said:

Yes, since the R77 couldn't do TV effects and QIS, it instead does only TV effects and does not do QIS.  So the TV effects are still there, but the advantages of using QIS aren't present.  This is a compromise that we had to make to keep the R77 port going forward.

Oh...I completely misunderstood (and got it backwards).  Thank you for the clarification!

Without QIS, if I set a fixed height, will scanlines and CRT effects look like they did in the early R77 betas (i.e. correct)?  :)

It has to do with scaling and interpolation.  Best thing to do is try it and see for yourself.  You can always put it on a second SD card so that you don't mess up your current one.  That way, if you like it, you can upgrade.  If not, just reuse the card for something else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

Without QIS, if I set a fixed height, will scanlines and CRT effects look like they did in the early R77 betas (i.e. correct)?  :)

With TV effects enabled, R77 will simply interpolate the vertically. Which makes the picture a bit more blurred. But that fits to TV effects.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:20 PM, Keatah said:

Ha! I rarely played Stampede, back in the day, or now. So I start playing and all uvva'sudden it freezes solid! I played again and it did it again. And again.

Since I was stoned last night it took me a while to understand that it does that when its GAME OVER! You let a few get past you and the game instantly stops. I'm sure that's the way its supposed to be. It's kind of tricky because its so sudden and can end when your lasso is "mid-air".. No end-game sounds or flashing stuff things. Just a hard stop. So..yeh.. Watch the counter at the upper left.

It doesn't act like this using the cartridge on the original hardware...

Looks like a Stella emulation issue to me.

Edited by scrutinizer

Stampede is acting the same way in Stella as it does on a Harmony Cart.  When the game ends, the screen 'freezes', showing your total score.  Pressing Reset allows to play another game.  Don't know what else to say here; it behaves the same as on real hardware.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, CrazyChris said:

Is there an option in Stella to rotate the screen?

If you're on Windows, you can try simultaneously pressing CTRL-ALT and an arrow key to rotate the desktop screen. The arrow direction determines which direction the top of the screen will rotate to, so you could press CTRL-ALT-LEFT to rotate left and then CTRL-ALT-UP to reset back to normal.

7 hours ago, azure said:

If you're on Windows, you can try simultaneously pressing CTRL-ALT and an arrow key to rotate the desktop screen. The arrow direction determines which direction the top of the screen will rotate to, so you could press CTRL-ALT-LEFT to rotate left and then CTRL-ALT-UP to reset back to normal.

Smart idea. :)

On 3/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, stephena said:

* Certain buttons in the UI can now be activated repeatedly by holding down the mouse button (Time Machine, debugger step/trace/frame advance, etc.)

This feature right here is such a nice thing to have.... I've been using it a lot lately.   Thanks!

• Thanks 2

FEATURE REQUEST:

I'd like to see a turbo button. By this I mean an assigned key (or even controller action) that allows Stella to run at full-speed, temporarily, as long as it's held down. Or make it toggle-able. For bonus points make the percentage of speedup configurable.

With Altirra press F1, thus allowing disks to load quickly. Same with AppleWin, press "Scroll" and the emulator blasts through booting and loading and other disk activity almost instantly. Great for bypassing start-up screens and lengthy text introductions.

I see this being helpful with the new chess game under development. And could be fun to play Miniature Golf or other turn-based games.