IGNORED

Visual bB Not Working!

lucasyuhyuh

I installed the 1.5 version of batari Basic and build 550 of Visual bB in my 64-bit Windows 10 computer, and everytime i compile, this shows up with no .bin file output.

Compile started at 22/03/2020 19:54:16
Compiling C:\Users\Lucas\Downloads\sheepievcs\SheepieVCS\default.bas
2600 Basic compilation completed.

Help me please!

Edited by lucasyuhyuh

Hi,

Have you tried Atari Dev Studio? Its an extension in Visual Studio Code. Whilst it doesn't include some of the tools of vBB it it cross-platform and compile not only bB but 7800basic and assembly using dasm.

More information here: 

• Like 1

550 is quite outdated, I suggest a reinstall with 568 Link

I've had this exact problem when an install doesn't completely set paths correctly, a reinstall fixed it.

Edit: You might also want to make sure that bb ,vbb, and your atari emulator all have short directories with no spaces in any of the path. The path variable settings seem to really dislike long paths or paths that contain spaces.

Edit2: If you're still having issue after a reinstall, try to make sure you run vbb in admin mode.

Edited by Sknarp
  • Like 1

Same message/response, even after doing all those things and with build 568, i'll say again that i'm running a 64bit version of Windows 10.

Compile started at 22/03/2020 21:16:57
Compiling C:\Users\Lucas\Downloads\sheepievcs\SheepieVCS\default.bas
2600 Basic compilation completed.

Here's a screenshot for more information:

image.png

Edited by lucasyuhyuh

As mentioned above, Atari Dev Studio is brilliant and worth installing regardless. If you're still wanting VbB then you will need a few things to set it up correctly as it's a little out of date.

Personally i use both and mainly use Atari Dev Studio for my serious and large projects. ADS is alot more optimized then VbB when your game grows so it's a must have tool when you start taking it seriously. However i still use VbB for small test projects, drawing playfield and titlescreen creation ect. So it's still a handy tool to have functioning.

So for VbB first things first you will want like mentioned build 568 and remove 550. Then you will want to head over and grab the latest build of bB. Locate your bB folder within the VbB directory and replace the folder with build 1.5 then open VbB and click on settings tab. Make sure boxes are checked like the screencap below and BB compiler path is empty. See below!

aa.thumb.png.b7ded120544b92a63d0abf178993504d.png

Now exit VbB and open bB v1.5 folder and run the install_win.bat file which should set the path correctly. Then open VbB again and try to compile your project ?

Try removing ALT batch file and BB compiler path once again, and make sure to save changes on the bottom right of the setting page. Exit and run the install_win.bat file in bB v1.5 again, you should get two messages of success in the command prompt. Then start up VbB once again and and have a look.

The Windowsx64.exe extension should not be in the BB compiler path, if it is again make sure to remove it and end with the 2600basic.exe

I will also add if you decide to move the installation folder to another directory in the future you will need to repeat this process again.

It doesn't compile.

Compile started at 23/03/2020 11:03:00
Compiling C:\Users\Lucas\Downloads\sheepievcs\SheepieVCS\sheepie.bas

I give up on trying to setup VbB by myself. It just doesn't work... Can i get a copy that perfectly works on a 64bit Windows 10 instead?

Edit: I discovered what it was, it was the CyberCapture thingy by Avast that was breaking my darn setups...

I'll try to reinstall Atari Dev Studio, cuz its folders are all messed up. Thanks Avast, you really are "protecting" my computer.

Another Edit: I had to deactivate Avast to use batari Basic... Well, at least it's resolved!

Edited by lucasyuhyuh
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, lucasyuhyuh said:

It doesn't compile.

Compile started at 23/03/2020 11:03:00
Compiling C:\Users\Lucas\Downloads\sheepievcs\SheepieVCS\sheepie.bas

I give up on trying to setup VbB by myself. It just doesn't work... Can i get a copy that perfectly works on a 64bit Windows 10 instead?

Edit: I discovered what it was, it was the CyberCapture thingy by Avast that was breaking my darn setups...

I'll try to reinstall Atari Dev Studio, cuz its folders are all messed up. Thanks Avast, you really are "protecting" my computer.

Another Edit: I had to deactivate Avast to use batari Basic... Well, at least it's resolved!

Good to hear and take note there was still the issue of the compiler path pointing to the wrong executable. If that path is not correct or pointing to 2600basic.exe or there is white space, it will throw the exact same error message in the log.

6 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Good to hear and take note there was still the issue of the compiler path pointing to the wrong executable. If that path is not correct or pointing to 2600basic.exe or there is white space, it will throw the exact same error message in the log.

Understood. Thanks for letting me know.