IGNORED

Rapid fire 2.0

grips03

Last updated: 9/13/2023  

***NO LONGER SELLING***

How it works:

Jag RF 2.0 supports five rapid fire (RF) speeds (cycles per second) for B button.  If using Starwander (reproduction) Pro Controller it supports rapid fire for B and Z**.  The RF led will flash to let you know you pressed the RF button.

Power on console.  RF is off and RF led is off.

1) Press RF button in the back of controller to enable rapid fire.  RF led turns on and rapid fire rate is set for 5 CPS.

2) Press once more for 6 CPS.

3) Press once more for 7 CPS.

4) Press once more for 8 CPS.

5) Press once more for 9 CPS.

6) Press once more disable RF.  RF led goes out.

Ideal CPS for Jag games:

BSG = 5

Raiden red shot = 6 and 9 if red weapon is fully charged.

Zero 5 shot = 7

Trevor McFur = 9

Price for RF 2.0 kit, build to order.

• Price is $30 for Rapid Fire 2.0 kit

Price for New Pre-modded controller, built and ready to ship:

• $99 Starwander* (repro) Pro Controller with Rapid Fire 2.0
  • $69 Atari Jaguar Gray keypad button controller with Rapid Fire 2.0

Shipping:
$5 in USA - 1 mod kit

$10  USA - 1 controller

$22 Canada - 1 controller

$26 France, same price to ship 1 or 2 controllers. 

Shipping box:

1 controller 10x9x3 / 1lb. 

2 controllers 10x8x4 box / 2lbs.

Mod install Difficulty:

• Do not purchase mod kit if you are beginner mod skill level.  Read through the install instructions before buying the mod.
  • Stock gray / black keypad controller takes around 45 minutes to mod and 15 minutes to test.  It's average difficulty, as the stock PCB pad and ribbon cable are strong.  Intermediate mod skill level required to install.
  • Starwander Pro Controllers are much harder and take longer due to fragile ribbon cable, fragile pcb pads, fragile L and R button wires and less room.  If you bend the ribbon cable that goes between the d-pad/button PCB and keypad PCB 2 to 3 times installing the mod you are fine.  If you bend it 5 to 6+ times you will likely break it and it will need to be replaced.  Advanced mod skill level required to install.

* Starwander Pro Controllers (SPC) has thin scrapes in the gray plastic near all the buttons, this is how they were when I purchased them new.  I think they are all this way.  I don't really know as I only bought the ones I bought and they all have this, however that number is 14.  So I think I'm right.

** Starwander Pro Controllers only - when Rapid Fire is enabled it provides Rapid Fire for both B and Z buttons.  If you want Rapid Fire for B only on a pre-modded controller add $20.  More details at the end of Install Instructions.

Picture of pre-modded controllers:

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

Picture of RF kit

IMG_5156.jpg

Deathskull Laboratories! - Atari Jaguar Controllers.pdf

jag-rf-install-instructions.pdf

• Like 3

I do not have an extensive Jaguar Library but to my knowledge Raiden may be the only one that benefits from a rapid fire device as it appears to detect an high-low edge transition to identify a button press. I have not looked at the code to confirm that but it is a reasonable assumption given that every time you want to fire you have to release and then re-press the fire button.

Equally it is reasonable to assume that other games like T2K just checks for a low logic state to determine if a button has been pressed given that they continuously fires when you hold the relevant button down. Consequently, all such game always shoot at the maximum rate of rate of fire when the button is held down and that rate is determined by the frequency with which controller input is read.     

• Like 1

I believe Raiden and Zero 5 were the only original Jaguar games which benefit from rapid fire. When I sold a batch of modded rapid fire controllers many years ago, the controllers supported A, B, and C rapid fire, with three settings each: normal (no rapid), slow-rapid, and fast-rapid.

• Like 2

Trevor McFur could use rapid fire also. That game has separate buttons for standard 'shot' and another for the 'bombs' (not to be confused with a screen clearing bomb). The standard shot definitely can get a high rate of fire,  but I can't remember about the bombs.

m_TrevorMcFur_5.jpg

• Like 2

I checked and my old RFC only had A and B for rapid fire. I'm not aware of any games using the C button as a primary button masher.

I would think three steps -- 4, 6, 8 -- would be plenty. In fact if 6 is optimal for Raiden, then one with just 3 and 6 would be enough so you could get a slow and fast rapid fire effect. Pretty sure my RFC did 5 or 10 pulses per second, but 10 may be overkill.

• Like 1

It makes sense parts wise if only A or B has rapid fire (one less part).  If I use a CPLD then it would not really matter.  Two speeds vs. > two speeds helps to reduce the part count as well (again if CPLD was used it does not matter). 

I've heard good things about Zero 5, so might order that in order to tune the rapid fire for it. 

Now that my taxes are done I can look at this and the twin stick stuff again.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, Kobra Kai said:

Trevor McFur could use rapid fire also. That game has separate buttons for standard 'shot' and another for the 'bombs' (not to be confused with a screen clearing bomb). The standard shot definitely can get a high rate of fire,  but I can't remember about the bombs.

m_TrevorMcFur_5.jpg

I sold my Trevor McFur and don't remember, does Special Weapon need rapid fire to make the game easier?

4 minutes ago, grips03 said:

What other games should I try?

Battlesphere. The guns will overheat quickly but I used my Songbird rf bitd and from what I can remember it was useful.

Also might work well for Protector/SE/Resurgence with the main laser. Makes a constant impenetrable stream across the screen iirc.

• Like 1

for BSG here is what I got:

Not linked, single shot.  Time below is from full to empty

No Rapid fire 25.40s (seconds)

CPS-4 14.46s

CPS-5 10.93s - nice left and then right

CPS-6 14.43s

CPS-7 12.11s

CPS-8 10.43s / 10.30s - sort of at the same time

CPS-9 12.68s

CPS-10 11.12s / 11.26s

CPS-11 10:30s  / 10:30s

CPS-12 11:93s

CPS-13 10:60s

What is strange is that when I linked Left and right (fires at the same time - pressed keypad 2) I got the same time to exhaust lasers.

Linked (L+R)

CPS-4 14.46s

CPS-5 10.92s / 11.00s

For those keeping score / ideal CPS:

Raiden red shot = 6

Zero 5 shot = 7

Trevor McFur = 9

BSG = 5

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The rapid fire (RF) mod I'm going to make will be B button only.  Pressing the push button on the rear of the controller will switch rapid fire on.  The red led next to Atari logo on the front of the controller will turn on.  With one press RF will be 5 CPS, then 6,7,8,9, then back to no rapid fire and led will turn off. 

In the picture you see the spot rapid fire button will be. 

In the second picture you see the rapid fire led that will turn on.  It will turn off if you press the button enough times to get back to normal fire mode. 

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

• Like 4