IGNORED

Rapid fire 2.0

grips03

Rev 3 PCB ordered.  This should be the last one.  It's really the 4th pcb made for this project so it better be the last one :) I was able to take out some cost, but then needed to add a new cost in there to make wiring nicer (hopefully).  Also adjusted drill hole spacing so they are all equal.  It should look even better than the past photos.  I think if all goes right I should be able to ship in July/Aug.

• Like 1

I'm starting a pre-order list.  No need to pay until ready to ship.  Estimate is July/Aug 2020.  Send me a PM if interested.

• Price is $30 + $5 USA shipping for Rapid Fire 2.0 kit.  You would then install or have someone else install for you.

If you wish for me to install the Rapid Fire 2.0 mod kit, price is $30 RF 2.0 kit + $30 labor + $10 return shipping in the USA.  Turn around time should be less than a week once I get the controller from you.  I will mod stock Gray, Black and the Starwander (reproduction) Pro Controller.

Price for pre-modded controller is:

• New Stock black Jag controller with Rapid Fire 2.0 pre-installed: $60 + $10 shipping in USA  (stock 5 4)
  • Lightly used Stock gray Jag controller with Rapid Fire 2.0 pre-installed: $50 + $10 shipping in USA  (stock 1)
  • New* Starwander (reproduction) Pro Controller with Rapid Fire 2.0 pre-installed**: $100 + $10 shipping in USA  (will order more).

* Starwander Pro Controllers has little razor cuts in the gray plastic near all the buttons, this is how they were when I purchased them new.  I think they are all this way.  I don't really know as I only bought the ones I bought and they have this defect.  If others are like this or not like this let me know.  I will provide photos.  So yes, they are new and not used, but they have this cosmetic defect.  At the same time they work great and feel really nice, so this is the preferred option for sure.

** Starwander Pro Controllers only - when Rapid Fire is enabled it provides Rapid Fire for both Z and B buttons.  If you want Rapid Fire for B only on a pre-modded controller add $20.  More details in post #49 in this thread.

• Like 1

Rev 2.1 pcb fits really well, much nicer install and screw hole spacing.  I'll post a photo later tonight.

Rev 3 is shipping today.  It has the improved wiring, so hope fully that checks out too.  I think it will be here on Friday.

• Like 3

Here is the photo showing the new screw spacing.  Button is a little off center, but not horrible.  I'll have to see how consistent I am building them.  The template is built into the PCB, so hopefully this is the worse they would look :)  And this might be from using various revision pcbs in this same controller.  I seem to remember this being the case anyway.

Ignore the top screw hole as that was from previous version of the pcb.

IMG_4011.jpg

• Like 4

Ok here is what a finished Starwander Pro Controller looks like with Rapid Fire 2.0 kit installed.  Please ignore the extra hole in the back as this is my beta testing controller.  Everything with rev3 worked great.  Install is much nicer now.

IMG_4048.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

• Like 5

I've built a couple of first run controllers and yes Raiden is much more fun to play than ever before.  However I did notice something with Raiden.  The ideal rapid fire rate changes depending on how many red pickups your ship has.  Usually 6 CPS is perfect when starting out the game, but I've wanted to switch to other CPS speeds at certain points in time.  Due to this I've been playing with an alternate location of the rapid fire button.  Problem with the alternate areas is how the button would need to be secured in the alternate location.  It might have to be hot glue on the inside of the controller.  I think most people will be happy with default rapid fire button location in the back of the controller and its certainly the most secure as it held in place with two fasteners, two nylon spacers, and two nyloc nuts.  In order to test the alternate locations I've ordered some different tactile switches from Digikey.

No changes are needed to the PCB, so if people want to place the led or push button in other places that is certainly possible, with the led being the easiest location to change as its a panel mount led and just the littlest amount of hot glue holds it in place.

More photos to follow later this week.

I'm using a joystick test rom and noticed ZYX buttons on a non-modded Starwander Pro Controller need to be pressed hard to register button press.  Anyone else notice this?  Does the Atari brand Pro Controller have the same issue?

1 hour ago, grips03 said:

I'm using a joystick test rom and noticed ZYX buttons on a non-modded Starwander Pro Controller need to be pressed hard to register button press.  Anyone else notice this?  Does the Atari brand Pro Controller have the same issue?

If the rom is available, I can test it with an Atari Pro vs. Starwander Pro and see if they are different....

• Like 1

I've modded 3 Pro Controllers so far.  Two of them have required a new ribbon cable between top and bottom pcb.  I hope to get better at modding them.  Difficultly on Pro Controller is very high.  Meaning controller ribbon cable is likely to break due to bending when moving the controllers pcb around.  I'm going to try to see if it can be modded with no bending by taking both the top and bottom out at the same time.

• Like 1

Here is the alternate location for the rapid fire button.  See the small black button near the top.  This is a very easy spot to press during game play to change the rapid fire speed.

Not related to this, but a couple of times I've noticed the Jag not really firing when rapid fire is on and the rapid fire rate is changed.  Easy fix is to release B and then press again.  Happens very rarely, but thought I should mention it.  It sort of does not make sense in that the atmega just runs code that says do X CPS when RF button is pressed Y times and the integration point between the microcontroller and the Jag is sort of simple too. Might be game related as all I'm playing is Raiden lately.  I wish I had the Jag GD so I could switch to games I do not own.

I sold and shipped two Pro controllers and if the people who bought them want the alternate rapid fire button added let me know, no cost to add it and I'll cover return shipping. I think the next controller I'll build will be alternate RF location only and see how I like that.  Its the same PCB, so its more of an install time question.  If I want to make it sort of stealthy I might hot glue the RF 2.0 pcb vs. using the fasteners.  Then only the led and small black button would be externally visible as compared to stock controller.

IMG_4111.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, grips03 said:

I sold and shipped two Pro controllers and if the people who bought them want the alternate rapid fire button added let me know, no cost to add it and I'll cover return shipping. I think the next controller I'll build will be alternate RF location only and see how I like that.  Its the same PCB, so its more of an install time question.

Got this in Saturday but have yet to test it on a game that utilizes rf. Played some Doom with it briefly but firing was 'normal' lol.

No need for a replacement/upgrade here. Going to mark this as one of two Starwander Pro Controller with RF 2.0 in circulation but looking forward to buying the latest version when available, too.

Thanks again :)

con1.thumb.jpg.0a84bd8ed8706fff53b6123a2628aa5d.jpg

con2.thumb.jpg.c4f9665bcd567a2fab613b6d9e1a0fce.jpg

• Like 1

Ballast where I solder / mod stuff went bad, waiting for new ballast to arrive.  I might have found a replacement ribbon cable for Starwander Pro Controller (SPC).  Will be able to confirm next week when Digikey order arrives. I should mention even using a desoldering gun to remove a damaged ribbon cable on the Starwander PCBs can cause pcb pad damage.  The SPC's PCBs are very fragile.  Sort of along the lines of doing Colecovision memory replacement.

I got a pro controller from Dave and just played Raiden. It is amazing. I can not stress enough how nice it is.....very professional, looks like it came from factory that way. The best part is how well it works. I have never been great at Raiden, barely getting into the 3rd level. The very first game I played with the controller, I beat the game!!!  I was amazed at how well it worked and how much more fun it made Raiden. Seeing the rest of the levels was cool. Beating the game was amazing.

Anyone on the fence, jump on this one! It is amazing! You will not  be sorry!!!!

Thanks Dave! Your work is top-notch!!!

• Like 3