IGNORED

Rapid fire 2.0

grips03

On 7/3/2020 at 1:14 AM, Machine said:

I got a pro controller from Dave and just played Raiden. It is amazing. I can not stress enough how nice it is.....very professional, looks like it came from factory that way. The best part is how well it works. I have never been great at Raiden, barely getting into the 3rd level. The very first game I played with the controller, I beat the game!!!  I was amazed at how well it worked and how much more fun it made Raiden. Seeing the rest of the levels was cool. Beating the game was amazing.

Anyone on the fence, jump on this one! It is amazing! You will not  be sorry!!!!

Thanks Dave! Your work is top-notch!!!

Exactly this ^

I've played Raiden tonight and although I didn't make it through the game, it's a blast with RF!

Thanks again for this modded controller :)

• Like 2

If you damage the Starwander Pro Controller ribbon cable order:

Qty 2   1832785-1 from Digikey or Mouser.  Cut to the correct number of contacts and solder in.  This cable has the correct pitch, wire size and length.  It is much stronger than what its replacing.

• Thanks 1

I built two stock Jag black controllers today.  It takes around an hour to install the mod from start to finish.  This is the easiest to mod as the black controllers pcb and ribbon wire are very strong and there is a ton of room.

The Starwander Pro Controllers take me twice as long (or more).  Hopefully I can get faster installing the mod in that one.

Production pcb ordered. 

Production parts ordered.

Best guess is ~ 3 weeks away.

• Like 2

I highly recommend people test the Starwander Pro Controller before modding.  I found one today with wire 12/left and wire 14/up with a short on the top pcb where the ribbon cable connects.  The up/left issue sort of looked like the pcb leveling issue, however if you remove the pcbs from the controller and just press the rubber pad for up it would press up & left on the Jaguar joystick test program.  Re-flowing the solder for these two wires cleared the short. 

There was also a small metal piece inside the controller. 

All very fixable, but much easier to do before modding.  

So far quite a few of the Starwander Pro Controllers have stripped internal screws.  The one most at fault is the single screw holding the top pcb in.  This does not matter as long as the screw can be placed in the hole and does not fall out, because the back of the controller case presses and prevents the top pcb from fall backwards into the controller.  The same is true for the bottom pcb as well.  Please understand this has nothing to do with the RF 2.0 kit, but since people will be opening these controllers and modding them I'm trying to provide as much details about them as possible.

I've modded 4 Starwander Pro Controllers (SPC) today.  I'm going to re-write the installation instructions to perform the steps even better.  I have 7 Pro Controllers left to sell, then I'm likely to switch to Twin Stick project.  Once hockey starts (Sept) I'll most likely take a step back from projects until next summer.  So if you want one this year I would recommend not waiting because hockey will get super busy and use up free time.  I can now make it to stage 3 without losing a ship in Raiden, much more fun to play with rapid fire.

• Like 2

I was making a Gray controller today and wow.  I was really amazed how good Raiden felt with the dpad.  Hitting the corners was not bad at all.  I thought it was quite good.  I can now make it past stage 3 with single life.  This game was meant to have rapid fire.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Saturn said:

Got my 2nd rf controller in yesterday! Thanks again :)

Which rev is the board on this one?

3c.  I moved a cap to the top and pushed some parts higher on the board.  But its a really the same thing, just a slightly different layout.

• Thanks 1

I have spent just over a week with a pre-modded Starwander RF 2.0 controller and could not be more pleased. As has been said, the work is so clean it looks like it came from a factory.  In fact, I like it so much that I put in an order for a second! 

Most of my time has been on Zero 5 and Raiden but the RF 2.0 even has me revisiting Trevor McFur. It's still a crap game but the RF 2.0 makes it a bit more tolerable. A spoonful of sugar I suppose... 

Anyway, if you're on the fence for a kit or pre-modded controller, I highly recommend getting this while it's available. Top work @grips03!

IMG_20200813_090131648.jpg

• Like 3