IGNORED

Rapid fire 2.0

grips03

3 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Am I the first one to install the kit?

I don't know, but I can confirm mine are still sitting in the envelope waiting until I have a few free nights.

Care to share details on the trouble?  I'm a bit of an amateur myself, and would love to avoid repeating mistakes.

• Like 1

From the IMs it looks like this controller presses down all the time, even if the RF mod is not present on Column3. This could have been found during the first step, test your controller before modding.

There are 6 wires for the mod:

Two are power.  Make sure to get those right.  Very important.

Two are for the led.

One is for the mod inserting into Column3, see the table below.

One is for the mod presenting a new Column3, which I call NewB to the top controller pcb.

If you remove green and blue wires from the cut Column3 ribbon wire and then reconnect Column3 ribbon wire, then effectively the mod is not present (besides drawing power if the power wires are still connected).  Notice the mod can only effect the signals in Column3, notice direction uses Column4.  Hence the reason the RF mod cannot cause a direction issue.

I have used the instructions posted in the first post to install the mod around 25 times.  The instructions are very solid.

In general I do not recommend the RF mod for beginner.  It requires intermediate skill level for stock controllers and higher skill level for repro pro controller.  Before buying mod read through those instructions and see if you are comfortable with the tool list and steps to install.  In the first post, I posted pictures of the mod installed in all 3 controller types.  The pictures are full size and you can zoom in.  They make a good reference.  For those who don't have the ability to install, but still want RF, then just buy a pre-modded controller.  If anyone bought a mod kit and can't install it due to modding ability, I'm happy to take it back if its unused.  Just send me an IM.

jaguar-deathskull.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I don't know, but I can confirm mine are still sitting in the envelope waiting until I have a few free nights.

Care to share details on the trouble?  I'm a bit of an amateur myself, and would love to avoid repeating mistakes.

Definitely fully test the controller before the mod. Also, as grips suggested, read through the installation instructions before you begin, as you will get an idea of the appropriate tools and supplies recommended for the job (various drill bits). And be extra careful with the soldering. 

edit: The problem I encountered during installation was I accidentally fused two of the pins together on the microchip 

pin 10 on 74HC244E IC

While soldering the black wire to Pin 10, some solder also ended up connecting pin 9 with it, so it caused a D-Pad malfunction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grips03 said:

It requires intermediate skill level for stock controllers and higher skill level for repro pro controller.  Before buying mod read through those instructions and see if you are comfortable with the tool list and steps to install.

I for one certainly am not going to be looking your direction if I mess anything up @grips03, unless it's reaching out for advice on possible repairs afterwards.  I read all the docs and knew full well when I bought these that I might be pushing my abilities, and understood the risk going in.  That's part of the fun IMHO!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a couple of days free, so built some more reproduction Pro Controllers with rapid fire.  2 are ready to ship.  I hope to have 8 more soon.  One will be $9 off as it has a super minor defect - one less plastic ring thing where the cable exits the controller case , internally it has the upgraded LR wires and ribbon cable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a clicky stick reproduction Pro Controller to see if the rapid fire 2.0 kit fits in this controller.

It does not, due to the screw in the lower case's left hand riser that helps hold the clicky joystick in place.  This screw would hit the rf 2.0 pcb. 

• 1 month later...

I have a reduced price rapid fire reproduction pro controller for sale.  Its in the picture below on the left.  Noticed the band where the cable comes out is missing one level at the top.  Its should have 5 like the right controller, but this one has 4.  Everything else about the controller is like stock.  I'm selling this one for $89 + shipping.  Let me know if interested.

IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pondering whether to install my rapid fire kit in a replica Pro Controller or Standard Controller. Judging by the posts here there seems to be no official game that would play better with a Pro Controller and benefit from rapid fire. Are there any home-brews or ST conversions that would make it worthwhile to undertake the more complicated Pro Controller installation? (Thanks to a retro fair dealer not knowing his wares I do have an Atari-made Pro as well but would like to keep that stock.)

Thanks for inputs!

In general I would recommend either the stock gray keypad button controller or reproduction pro controller.  The stock gray is easier as the internal ribbon cable is much better.  I would pick which one based on the d-pad you like.  Don't use stock black keypad button controller, as the d-pad does not like the angles as much, so not good for games like Raiden.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 9:21 PM, grips03 said:

I have a reduced price rapid fire reproduction pro controller for sale.  Its in the picture below on the left.  Noticed the band where the cable comes out is missing one level at the top.  Its should have 5 like the right controller, but this one has 4.  Everything else about the controller is like stock.  I'm selling this one for $89 + shipping.  Let me know if interested.

IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

Damn these look sweet! 

I'll definitely be picking one of these up at some point. 

I've been meaning to grab a repro Pro controller for a while, might as well get one of these RF beauties. 

• Like 1