IGNORED

Rapid fire 2.0

grips03

I have three different types of controllers here that I plan to test the mod in.

Gray keypad

Black keypad

Starwander Pro Controller

Does anyone have Atari brand Pro Controller that would need rapid fire?  I'm thinking no, as they cost so much money and hence people would not want to mod.  Does that sound right?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, grips03 said:

I have three different types of controllers here that I plan to test the mod in.

Gray keypad

Black keypad

Starwander Pro Controller

Does anyone have Atari brand Pro Controller that would need rapid fire?  I'm thinking no, as they cost so much money and hence people would not want to mod.  Does that sound right?

Sounds right to me. I have a couple of them but I see no point digging them out to be modded when RePros are available. I wouldn't mind having them done but with so much use over the years, my originals are looking a little worn and I'd much rather have a brand new and crisp looking controller hacked as it would probably last longer :)

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a Jag controller test program that would display cycles per second for the actions buttons?  In this case B button.

I can see results on my scope, but thought it would be neat with Game Drive coming out for the joystick test program to show cycles per second for rapid fire on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well tracking shows its an hour drive from my house. Its been there for the last 4 5 6 7 8 days, so my guess is there is a delay in sorting.  Hopefully it arrives this week.

Looks like it left Springfield, MA after 8 days of being there and now is in route to my post office.  Hopefully it arrives next week.

Well 12 days to mail something in the US.  Anyway its here, so that is great news.

Here are some photos.  Photo 4 and 5 are how it should look on all the controller types (besides a real Pro Controller - as I don't own one and would not want to mod it anyway).

Hole alignment on Starwander Pro Controller (SPC) is off, will need to fix. The two stock controllers are fine.  Going to code the led on/off logic now.  After that I'm going to see how nicely to SPC pcb allows for rapid fire to be added.  I think it will be fine, but better to check.

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

• Like 2

Stock black & gray and Starwander Pro Controller (SPC) work, however the PCB will need to be smaller in order to fit the SPC.  Once that is done all 3 controllers can use the same PCB and pretty much use the same install method.  Only delta is on SPC you get power from the bottom / left of the lower (keypad) pcb vs. stock controllers just get from the IC that is facing you. 

Working with the SPC is easier due to more room, however you need to be careful not to bend the ribbon cable between the controller's top/direction+action and bottom/keypad PCB too much, otherwise the little wires break.  The stock Jag controllers have much thicker ribbon cable wire, so less of a concern there.

Install requires 6 wires.  28ga rainbow flat ribbon wire worked best.  Make into 3 groups of 2 wires each, 6 inches long.  Wires will be around 4 inches or less once everything is wired up to the locations needed.

Group-1

1-5V

2-GND

Group-2

3-LED +

4-LED GND

Group-3

5-Col/Pin 3

6-New B

One drill hole for the led, little bit bigger than 5/32.

Three drill holes in the back. Drill locations are auto aligned using the Jag RF 2.0 pcb.

Top and bottom hole for 4-40 screw, 3.09mm or .1215 inch.  Needs counter sink, so screw is flush in the back.

Middle hole to fit button, 8.34mm or .328 inch

IMG_3735.jpg

• Like 1

I am assuming by "fake" pro controller you mean the reproduction pro controllers? To clarify, they are not fake, fake implies that they are being falsely sold as OEM. They do not have an Atari logo and are clearly sold as a reproduction not an original Atari product.

Calling them reproduction or repro pro controllers would be a better way to describe them. :thumbsup:

Mitch

I did some more testing on the Starwander Pro Controller (SPC) and B and Z (aka keypad 7) get enabled for rapid fire when rapid fire is turned on.  Please note B and Z still work independently.  Its not like if you press and hold B, then some how Z is being pressed, its not.  Its just if you press and hold Z, then Z also has rapid fire (if rapid fire is enabled).  And yes one could press and hold B and Z and have rapid fire for both.  If one did not want rapid fire for Z, and rapid fire was enabled, then just press keypad button #7.

tech details:

What happens is on the SPC's top pcb both B and Z are present.  So when the rapid fire microcontroller changes Pin3/Col3 to be Rapid Fire or no Rapid Fire it changes it for everything on the top PCB that use Pin3/Col3, namely both B and Z. 

If you want to remove rapid fire from Z on the SPC.  It requires cutting a thin trace on the SPC's top board and then scraping the solder mask off and soldering NewB wire to this point vs. using the normal rapid fire insertion point at the ribbon cable.  Since the SPC's top pcb trace going to Z and B is so thin it can rip up very easily.  It also might make sense to drill a small hole in the top pcb and route the 30awg kynar wire to that spot.  Best drill location is likely just above the two holes you see in the picture below.  I would drill right through the trace in question.  I'm using kapton tape to hold the backside of the top pcb and wire in place, but perhaps hot glue or something else might be better.  I'm looking for a recommendation if you have one.  I would only recommend doing this for people who don't care if they ruin the SPC's top pcb.  Please do not try this if you are not really good at soldering.  I would charge $20 more for this single wire and think most people will be happy with rapid fire for both B and Z on the SPC.  It's a feature :)

For stock Jag controllers Pin3/Col3 on the top pcb affects B only. 

SPC notes:

Z=7

Y=8

X=9

LB = 4

RB = 6

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3739 (1).jpg

• Like 1

So far Starwander Pro Controller (SPC) with rapid fire feels the best for Raiden :)

Just press RF button twice for 6 CPS and have fun.  This is what the blue shot looks like after collecting them in level 1.  Video is beginning of level 2.

Here is 6 CPS RF at the start of the game with no power ups.  Holding B down.

and with no RF, holding B down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1