IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

Regarding the color limitations of the 7800 in the 320 mode, I would just like to mention, to people who are not familiar with the system specifications, that in the 320 mode the 7800 displays the resolution of 320 horizontal pixels (the same horizontal resolution as the Sega Genesis) therefore a higher horizontal resolution than other systems such as ColecoVision, NES, Sega Master System, CoCo 3, SNES, etc. (all these systems display the resolution of 256 horizontal pixels).

The 7800 320 mode (320×240) shows square pixels (pixel aspect ratio: 0.9 NTSC and 1.0 PAL) and can replicate the correct aspect ratio of the arcade graphics.

For example, the NES with 256 horizontal pixels by 240 vertical pixels display wide pixels and therefore wide sprites/tiles compared to arcade graphics / 7800 320 mode (same goes for ColecoVision, Sega Master System, CoCo 3, SNES, etc., for these systems the pixel aspect ratio is approximately 1.2 NTSC and 1.4 PAL).

Also, when you have only 240 vertical pixels it may be useful to place a extra display (scores, status, etc.) on the right side of the main game but in this case the play field will be compromised if you have only 256 horizontal pixels rather than 320 horizontal pixels.

Among other things, the 7800 features a palette of 256 colors, this is an advantage not only in 160 mode (where we have a lot of colors on the screen) but also when using a graphics mode with fewer colors on the screen. Indeed, this new Pac-Man Collection 320 still has pretty balanced colors and you can clearly distinguish the role of each ghost. Instead, I can't say the same about the Tengen version of Ms. Pac-Man on NES, where it's easy to get confused between Blinky and Sue, accomplice a palette of only 48 colors and 6 grays.

So generalizing, the rule is always the same, high resolution / low number of color or low resolution / high number of colors and in conclusion each system has its strengths.

However, while I see that the limitations of the 7800 are often discussed, I think the strengths should be mentioned in equal measure and certainly this new Pac-Man Collection 320 is a further demonstration of the good use of a potential that is sometimes underestimated. Therefore, thanks to the talent and dedication of our PacManPlus, again he made a big difference.

Of course, as already said, if we look at this new collection with the magnifying glass, we will find some minor graphic imperfections but they are really details insignificant and they are nothing compared to the limitations of other arcade ports that we have seen on all classic systems over the years.

If we then consider the gameplay accurate, all the many game options and the avalanche of mazes available, then there is no comparison to make, end of the story, this is the definitive Pac-Man Collection.

Another praise for the extraordinary work done with the TIA sound, usually always too underrated (and for this reason I also invite you to compare it with the sound of the Tengen version of Ms. Pac-Man on NES).

A final note about the dithering for ghost eyes, this is certainly the best compromise but not the only one possible. Indeed, Bob did not use the dithering for ghost eyes in his previous Ms. Pac-Man 320, in which, renouncing transparency, it was possible to use the 6 colors (including white) without restrictions. In this old version, you will see a little black box around the sprites when the sprites overlap but this is almost unnoticeable on real hardware.

Okay, the time has come to play with it. Thanks again Bob, really phenomenal job! Again, thank you so much for giving us this wonder. :)

1337092980_NESpixelaspectratio.PNG.38bb9f5728a11d25201a3f44e3d425c1.PNG

305317731_7800palettevsNESpalette.thumb.PNG.fd46464e470a800a199162196e123139.PNG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 8:10 PM, PacManPlus said:

Yep - due to the limitation of the way the 7800 handles the third color with transparency on, that had to be done.  In that mode, I only have two palettes with three colors each to work with.  two of the colors (the white) have to have a different color next to them in order to show up (i.e. not the same color and not transparent).  So I really had 2 colors in 2 palettes to freely work with, and one color in each palette that was restricted.

Which mode is this?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bizarrostormy said:

Which mode is this?

320B (WM=1,RM1=1,RM0=0) 2 bits per pixel, 3 colors + background & transparent from 2 palettes

D75     D64     D31     D20     P2=0 : palette 0 P2=1 : palette 4
 0       0       0       0      BG + BG / transparent
 0       0       0       1      BG + C1 / transparent
 0       1       0       0      BG + C2
 0       1       0       1      BG + C3
 0       0       1       0      C1 + BG / transparent
 0       0       1       1      C1 + C1 / transparent
 0       1       1       0      C1 + C2
 0       1       1       1      C1 + C3
 1       0       0       0      C2 + BG
 1       0       0       1      C2 + C1
 1       1       0       0      C2 + C2
 1       1       0       1      C2 + C3
 1       0       1       0      C3 + BG
 1       0       1       1      C3 + C1
 1       1       1       0      C3 + C2
 1       1       1       1      C3 + C3

Ms.Pac-man320_spriteswithtransparency_V6.thumb.PNG.a6742b37e2f218cb83c8fa8f0d1aebf7.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I finally got around to copying this to my CC2 using the following in my .TXT file:

7800:    Pac-man Collection (XM)    PMC_XM    78SCP450    78BIOS

This is a true feat of amazement! I love the title screen and all of the available game variations. The speed-up option is terrific! The TIA and POKEY sounds are fantastic! I'm getting rock-solid graphics on my S-Video modded system. This might be the definitive collection of the classic Pac-Man line-up! Thank you for making this available Bob!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

320B (WM=1,RM1=1,RM0=0) 2 bits per pixel, 3 colors + background & transparent from 2 palettes

Thanks for the link. I knew that 320B had limitations with transparency, but I apparently did not understand them.

• Like 3

On 5/2/2020 at 7:50 AM, PacManPlus said:

(Just as a side note, I did try the 'pupil' thing - but without the white - at first.  The screen shots in the very first post show this; it made them look 'zombie-like'.  Defender_2600 had the great idea to do that with the white, and between the two, I think this looks better.  The white would have to be done the same way regardless).  I use the A7800 emulator with the 'screen' settings (like Trebor uses in his video as well as the ones I posted) and you hardly notice it.

I’m not sure if you’re looking for more ideas/work, but...

Have you considered 320C? If I understand correctly it would gain you 2 colors and eliminate the need for dithering, at the cost of horizontal resolution in the ghosts’ eyes. I’ll post some example bitmaps later today.

ETA: I guess in Ms. Pac-Man (or any variant with filled maze walls) you would also lose horizontal resolution between the edge and the fill. I’m thinking of 320C as providing 320 resolution between any color and transparent, but only 160 resolution between any two (non-transparent) colors. That seems like a fairly good compromise for Pac-Man. It is possible I still misundertand.

Edited by bizarrostormy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Among other things, just out of curiosity, would the 320C mode really be an improvement? In our case, all things considered, I would say no.

I did some tests in the 320C mode and I think Blinky's robotic eyes when he looks left / right (and that I love in the 160 mode version) they are really a jarring note in the set of high resolution graphics. And the same goes for the details of the fruits. If we add to this the walls of some mazes with the edge in 160 mode, we can safely say that in this case the use of the 320C mode would represent a step backwards. Full high resolution is the fundamental element that distinguishes this new Pac-Man Collection 320 (and we've been waiting for this for years).

However, the 320C mode could be really interesting for other future applications, also in combination with the 320A mode.

Anyway, I want to remember again that dithering for ghost eyes will be almost unnoticeable on real hardware
and almost invisible on CRT TV.
;)

706220628_320Cvs320B.thumb.PNG.aa38082514317a1aaffb57d183c9e3b5.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Being interested in discussing the implications of the various graphics modes, I wrote up another reply. It had a tone that I didn’t like and couldn’t edit away. I really do not want to nitpick this awesome-looking game any more than I already have.

I *do* want to say that I asked about 320C, not because of anything I noticed from watching the video, but because of all of the posts discussing the color choices. Also because I’m still trying to grok the 320 modes.

In summary, thank you, and count me in for a cart.

• Like 4

Just a note to anyone looking at my sprite data to color mapping post, I really recommend you look at the spreadsheet as it makes it much easier to see how the bit patterns match the the different colors.  (And hopefully allow you to avoid making bad assumptions when designing sprites.)

Also for anyone thinking about using the 320 modes, don't forget that large luma changes between pixels will cause false colors on real hardware (e.g Tower Toppler).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bob amazing job as usual!  Is the Pac Man collection going to have Pac Man Plus?  That game was way underrated and underappreciated in its time but has become my favorite version of original Pac Man.  I loved the fast speed, green mazes, strange fruits (especially that daiquiri) that turn things invisible and act like a power pellet and when you get a power pellet sometimes not all ghosts change.  Genius!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

Bob amazing job as usual!  Is the Pac Man collection going to have Pac Man Plus?  That game was way underrated and underappreciated in its time but has become my favorite version of original Pac Man.  I loved the fast speed, green mazes, strange fruits (especially that daiquiri) that turn things invisible and act like a power pellet and when you get a power pellet sometimes not all ghosts change.  Genius!

I think it does watch Trebor's video 

• Like 4